Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 2:14 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ARRRGH! I need some Facebook Detox!
ARRRGH! I need some Facebook Detox!
If you agree, type amen, then check your bank account for your blessings  Heart

No. Wait! Banghead

OK.  I suspect most of the people in here have a Facebook account.  I live in the real world and visit it to keep up with family and friends, but cannot believe some of the stupid $hit I see in there.  I came looking for this as an outlet to rant among the sane.

I was raised catholic, luckily at a time when that sect was having a bout of complacency and not getting as hardcore in it's indoctrination as some, like the Mormons and Jehovites.  I was always skeptical.  Weekends spent with my hyper religious/superstitious grandmother often resulted in brief bouts of "faith".  A few days of detox usually cured it.

Ironically it was while at her house one day, she decided to get me out of her hair by putting me in front of the TV.  What was on?  The Spencer Tracy classic Inherit the Wind (a dramatization of the Scopes Monkey Trial).  I am guessing now that I must have been between the age of eight and twelve-it was a long time ago.

I entered high school and still identified as catholic, since it seemed to me that all the girls believed it, and I believe that I liked girls.  Then something else happened. In my junior year an English teacher gave us a list of books that we were to select one from to read.  She singled out one title and said that we shouldn't read it as it wasn't very good.  Of course, it was the one I picked; Stranger in a Strange Land by R.A. Heinlein.

There is a scene in the book where a young man who was raised on Mars by Martians has a conversation with an elderly skeptic who had become his mentor.  This scene in particular, along with the courtroom scenes from Inherit the Wind, strongly influenced me to question things.

I did have two brief relapses in my early twenties.  The first caused by a cute little redhead named Shari, the second by a Julie.  I did find Shari on FB recently, using incognito browsing.  What a lucky SOB I am.  She turned out to be a hardcore tea partier/fundie and birhter.  I almost married her Undecided  

Anyway that's me.
RE: ARRRGH! I need some Facebook Detox!
Welcome aboard Dave. You'll find a but more sanity around here.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
Welcome to the oasis of (relative) sanity that is AF.org, my friend. You will find our hive of logic and blasphemy most refreshing, most refreshing indeed Tongue
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
Hi Dave! Drop FB if it's causing you stress. We only get one life; live it as you want.

Meanwhile, this forum can be a great venting ground Smile
Quote:I suspect most of the people in here have a Facebook account.

My wife has one.  Constantly getting annoyed by people she does not want to hear from again.  I took the hint and never started.
Hello and welcome!

Nope I don't have an account, but I have heard of it!
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I keep asking this, and no one gives me a satisfactory answer.

WHY DO YOU KEEP SHITTY PEOPLE OR CONTENT ON YOUR FACEBOOK?

If people constantly post stupid shit, unfollow them, unfriend them, block them, whatever. It's that simple. FB is pretty awesome when you use it to only see updates from the people and places you enjoy. Just like every tool, it depends entirely on how you use it.

I mean, seriously, I consider myself a masochist but some of you people take it to an emotionally abusive level. I even got rid of the dumbasses who posted eagles and shit for any american holiday.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
I have a FB account, and use it for gaming a tad bit (which admittedly brings out the creeps), and to keep in touch with family (which is a good thing).
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
Welcome Dave!

Yes, Facebook is the romance novel of literature, the McDonald's of restaurants, the Ford Pinto of cars. Mass-market, low quality CRAP. It lowered the IQ of the internet by 10 points, easy. You'll like it better here.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
(April 13, 2015 at 9:32 am)AFTT47 Wrote: It lowered the IQ of the internet by 10 points, easy.

Exactly how did it do this?
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Deleted Facebook account for good. I prefer these types of forum anyway. James_Smith 10 898 November 14, 2019 at 8:37 pm
Last Post: redpill
  Hello! Just need to commune with some fellow atheists in a religious world. Rosie_Rivets 11 1949 November 11, 2016 at 5:18 pm
Last Post: CWoods
  Hey y'all - I need some non-Christian help on a short survey Baba Asheri 16 4000 March 27, 2013 at 12:07 pm
Last Post: Angrboda