Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 4:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Omniscience: A thought experiment
Omniscience: A thought experiment
A thought experiment consisting of two scenarios and follow up questions:

Scenario A: In this scenario, we have an apparently omniscient Being. As far as the Being is aware, it knows and understands everything that there is to know and understand. It is also the case, in this scenario, that the being happens to be correct that it knows and understands everything there is to know and understand.

Scenario B: This scenario is identical to the first in, insofar as we have an apparently omniscient Being that appears to know and understand everything there is to know and understand. The only difference is, that in this scenario, the being is wrong.

Question A: How could an omniscient Being determine which of the two scenarios it was actually in?
Question B: Is the Being really omniscient, if it cannot even determine which of the two scenarios it inhabits?
Question C: Is omniscience possible?
RE: Omniscience: A thought experiment
How far short of 'omniscience' is being number 2 ??

99%

50%

1%

0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001%

????????????????
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

This thought experiment makes no logical sense.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
I'd argue that no being CAN be omniscient, because it cannot know whether it is part of a bigger whole-- for example a collection of multiple beings, isolated from each other, who each think they are omniscient.

And what is an omniscient being who can't know for sure whether it is omniscient? It is a paradox-- it cannot exist. So, there cannot be an omniscient being, even God.
I think if you exempt those things which are not logically possible to know from the definition of omniscience, one could still have an omniscient being.
You mean things like does he know a question he can't answer?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(April 18, 2015 at 10:38 pm)noctalla Wrote: I think if you exempt those things which are not logically possible to know from the definition of omniscience, one could still have an omniscient being.

It would be interesting to analyze just how much of all reality through all time is actually logically possible to know, and know to what precision, and for even an omniscient Being how the amount he knows stack up to what he ca not know.
As a quick sideline, it's come up many times that omniscience and free will are not compatible; even god's free will. Unless you drop God knowing what will happen in the future as being logically impossible, I suppose.

Trying to get a theist to "choose" between these two is painful.

"Mummy I want both!"

"You can't have both, you get one big birthday present. You have to choose."

"Fuck you mummy, I saw you with the pool boy!"

"Of course you can have both."

Wait... what was I saying?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(April 18, 2015 at 11:56 pm)robvalue Wrote: As a quick sideline, it's come up many times that omniscience and free will are not compatible; even god's free will. Unless you drop God knowing what will happen in the future as being logically impossible, I suppose.

What if time branches, with every possibility occurring in it's own separate reality. God may be aware of every nuance of every possible reality, but could we not still be free to choose our own path?
I've seen this question before posed within the framework of solipsism. Is the OP trying to make a comment in that direction?
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  J.J. Thompson's Violinist Thought Experiment Concerning Abortion vulcanlogician 29 1665 January 3, 2022 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Thought experiement# 117. The measure of man. ignoramus 12 1016 January 31, 2020 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  Is a higher level of thought possible? Macoleco 8 953 June 10, 2019 at 2:01 pm
Last Post: no one
  Thought police? ignoramus 51 6622 April 6, 2018 at 8:06 am
Last Post: Shell B
  #1 Thought experiment - "The Trolley Problem" ErGingerbreadMandude 108 12421 May 20, 2016 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Athene
  Inspirational thought of the day Heat 33 6181 November 17, 2015 at 10:49 am
Last Post: brewer
  Omniscience, omnipresence, omnipotence... etc. Napoléon 47 8869 September 12, 2015 at 1:55 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  Critical thought is hard urlawyer 56 11188 April 19, 2015 at 7:36 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Does Deep Thought Lead to God? Here's a Shallow Answer Jenny A 31 5185 September 10, 2014 at 3:52 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  A thought experiment: The rainbow temple Escherscurtain 19 4306 August 8, 2014 at 9:46 am
Last Post: ignoramus