Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 8:47 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you care about your significant other's sexual past?
Do you care about your significant other's sexual past?
I was reading the random slut-shaming troll thread and scrolling through it I was a little surprised at the number of people who seemed to think that it mattered at all. It doesn't. I couldn't give half a care about who I'm datings sexual past. I never even ask unless it comes up in normal conversation (which of course it normally does anyway, because sex is a pretty interesting conversation topic.) Why does anyone seem to care?
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
RE: Do you care about your significant other's sexual past?
I do not care about my significant other's sexual past.

As few or as many partners as he has had does not devalue him in any way.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
I wasn't put off by "Charlie's" (NHRN) HIV+ status, but he would not consider a relationship (sex was OK) with me since I was HIV-.

Brian was unaware of my feelings towards him when he died, but I was in love with him regardless of his status.

I've never discriminated against men for hetero experience(s) in their past. There are men in ongoing hetero relationships that will only have gay sex with other men who are also in ongoing hetero relationships.

I can't say I've had anyone turn me down for my 12 Stepping, I'd be pretty leery of a relationship with an active alcoholic, but for a casual encounter, it hasn't been a problem. I'd probably avoid drunk married men for casual sex if I was aware of the situation.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Yes.

They need to have had a sexual past.

I need someone who knows what they're doing. Because I have no idea.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Once upon a time I cared. 10 years later, I could care less as long as there's no diseases.

Which sort of leads into a discussion of cheating. There was a time when sexual intamacy and being "special" was extremely important to me. After my ex and I split, I dated a few girls who were all very nice and lovely, and each of them would have made good long-term partners. But something dawned on me, which was the idea that if they cheated on me, I wouldn't care, as long as it was safe, and no diseases were transmitted. At first I thought this was a reflection of how little I really cared for that person, how bonded I was, and I subsequently broke it off with many of them, but now I just think its an extension of having realistic expectations and ideals of what love means.

I'm still not confident that this is the right way to go about things, so I thought I'd air it out. If a woman was honest with me and wanted to have other sexual partners, I'd say go for it and get tested. Am I wrong in viewing this as an extension of being at peace with your partners past?

(April 19, 2015 at 11:17 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: Yes.

They need to have had a sexual past.

I need someone who knows what they're doing. Because I have no idea.

Baaahaha You're the shit, Steel.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
That they had a lot of sex, no, it's not something I care about.  No, wait, actually, I like a lot of sex, so it would be a recommendation of sorts. And a prudish background might give me a little concern, but it's pretty easy to try out whether that's a problem. 

What would concern me is a history of infidelity.  If you promise someone you only have sex with them and then cheat, chances are higher you'll do that again.  That would worry me, especially if I found out through a third party. To be clear, that's not the same as having multiple partners at once. As long as it's all above board, not a problem.

(April 19, 2015 at 11:17 pm)Exian Wrote: Once upon a time I cared. 10 years later, I could care less as long as there's no diseases.

Which sort of leads into a discussion of cheating. There was a time when sexual intamacy and being "special" was extremely important to me. After my ex and I split, I dated a few girls who were all very nice and lovely, and each of them would have made good long-term partners. But something dawned on me, which was the idea that if they cheated on me, I wouldn't care, as long as it was safe, and no diseases were transmitted. At first I thought this was a reflection of how little I really cared for that person, how bonded I was, and I subsequently broke it off with many of them, but now I just think its an extension of having realistic expectations and ideals of what love means.

I'm still not confident that this is the right way to go about things, so I thought I'd air it out. If a woman was honest with me and wanted to have other sexual partners, I'd say go for it and get tested. Am I wrong in viewing this as an extension of being at peace with your partners past?

I think this is a very personal matter.  It matters to me that if I promise fidelity, I give it and that if I am promised fidelity I get it.  It's about integrity.

But I've had more than one partner at once.  It's just that I was open about it.  Honesty is important.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
Any possible STDs she might have. Any Ex boy/girlfriends I might need to know about. I would expect the conversation to come up before the three year mark. Now different people have different opinions on what is important in a relationship. I figure as long as she's clean, and I don't have to worry about some stranger hanging around my house and giving me the stink-eye, it's not so bad. Abstinence only is unrealistic, and can be objectively proven to not work. Still, if you want a virgin then you should ask at some point. If you like them experienced, that's fine too.

It's just one of those things that's best brought up before wedding plans are made.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

It's certainly not something I would be jealous or resentful about.
This is probably the last word on thinking about your partner's sexual past:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH1XlakFje4

As long as they don't have an STD, who cares?
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(April 19, 2015 at 11:24 pm)Jenny A Wrote: I think this is a very personal matter.  It matters to me that if I promise fidelity, I give it and that if I am promised fidelity I get it.  It's about integrity.

But I've had more than one partner at once.  It's just that I was open about it.  Honesty is important.

Ah! Yes, you've narrowed it down to the rub. Honesty was the element missing from my post. When my ex cheated on me and left, I fought to get her back. When she did it again, I let her go. Through out that time, and for a few years after, I was angry and felt betrayed, but now I'm not so sure I would care if someone lies to me or cheats on me. I don't really see the importance, other than staying STD free. If I'm outwardly ok with my partner having other partners, why would I care if she somehow kept it from me? I look at it as human nature now. It just doesn't happen to be my nature; I'm a one gal type of guy, and it took me years to see how unrealistic it was to hold others to that.

Lying is a little harder to reconcile, but I get it. There's somewhat of a social contract that says when you enter a relationship it will be exclusive. Lying about breaking that contract is an attempt to keep peace and spare hard feelings, which makes it no different from any other lie, and it's very human.

I don't know, I'm re-fleshing this out in real-time after having been settled on the issue years ago. A part of me still thinks I'm not able to fall in love again, which was my initial conclusion, because I have no issue with my partner having other partners. Also, telling someone up front that you don't care about that stuff hardly ever goes over well. Seems to piss the lady off, as she makes the assumption that I have no morals or values concerning fidelity. I should probably work out how to explain that better in the future.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] A thought I had about some people's view on some things medical and other things ShinyCrystals 15 796 October 22, 2023 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: ShinyCrystals
  Thoughts on sexual services? Macoleco 25 2030 September 7, 2022 at 10:57 am
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  One of these things is not like the other ones Angrboda 1 391 December 6, 2021 at 12:55 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Fun phrases from other countries/cultures. Gawdzilla Sama 3 319 August 3, 2020 at 1:33 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Bannings, Reports, and Other Actions? no one 21 2845 June 11, 2020 at 7:27 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Other forums you belong to... arewethereyet 9 834 June 8, 2020 at 7:50 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Other forums just aren't the same Violet 18 1387 May 3, 2020 at 6:51 pm
Last Post: Violet
  How were past times so violent? Macoleco 17 1084 April 19, 2020 at 11:45 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  [Serious] How do you get over your past mistakes? [Please Don't judge me] GODZILLA 12 1141 June 3, 2019 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Interlocutor and other ugly words. Succubus 0 205 March 29, 2019 at 10:03 pm
Last Post: Succubus