Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
10 Reasons why I am an atheist
To view the original article, copy paste the below link:
>snip<
Posted on April 20, 2015 by Rational and Secular
Religion has failed to provide any measurable proof of existence for any kind of deity. Simply stated, the lack of evidence is astounding. The argument “you must have faith” is simply a cop-out in my opinion.
God seems to be very worried about what we do with our genitals. Don’t have sex until your married!!! Really? You want me to buy this car before test driving it? Okay. Let’s worry more about premarital sex and how it personally affects God, rather than spreading the word of love, devotion and respect for somebody else’s body. Makes sense.
Religion promotes prejudice and violence through scripture and literal interpretation. The West-Boro Baptist Church is one of many great examples of this. Take a few minutes and watch their protests at funerals of our fallen warriors. Read the signs they carry in public view. Their hatred towards homosexuals is so extreme, it’s almost a joke. They are mentally sick, so weak-minded to be influenced by the Bible in such a fanatical way. It’s purely nauseating. Not to mention, the inability for them to co-exist with those who have a faith in another deity. Believing they will be going to hell through no fault of their own, simply because they were born into another culture and pray to a different God. As far as the current events taking place in the Middle-East, there is nothing anybody can say that would contradict the fact that religion has at one point, promoted violence and hate. Whether it was Christianity and their Crusade or Islam with their Islamic State’s rise to power, religion has time after time shown forth the evil that lies within.
Religion has failed to provide any empirical evidence to questions regarding our existence and the existence of the universe. Science has so far provided much more tangible answers to questions regarding life itself. As science advances and provides new answers, questions once answered by religion are now being kicked to the curb. The church sees this and is threatened by it. For good reason. One day, in the not too distant future (hopefully) most of our questions regarding our universe, will be answered by science. There will be no more room for simple answers proposed by leaders in the church or the Bible.
Religion is outdated, the stories are completely and utterly unreasonable and fictional. I do not believe that Moses lived to 120 years old during a time when the average life span was less than 30. Or the fact that an Arc was built from wood for a flood, and 2 of every creatures on earth boarded this big boat in an orderly fashion, on a scale that would embarrass most military drill ceremonies. Unfortunately, some people do believe this crap. . . Jesus rose from the grave 3 days later. Ew- Can you just imagine how gross that would be? We are talking about the last few stages of decomposition. Most of the stories were written long ago and seem to relate only to those times. Are we still compensating victims with chickens and goats? Perhaps in some countries we still do. But for the most part, the Bible has yet to be revised to better suit our modern day problems.
Religion hinders scientific and medical advancement. It is well known that many Jehovah Witnesses refuse blood transfusions based on religious prohibition. There are even cases were Jehovah Witness parents of sick children who need blood or platelet transfusions to live, actually refused the life-saving procedure for their child, resulting in the death of the poor kid. To make matters worse, those parents were never prosecuted. Faith-based healing has got to be the most utter disregard for common sense. The Supreme Court of the United States has long upheld the right of parents to make decisions for their children based on religious grounds. This needs to be changed! Thankfully, there are laws being emplaced which limit a parent’s rights to make medical decisions for their children if their beliefs or mental state is not fitting for the child’s current condition.
Religion is boring. Why go to church on Sunday morning when you can sleep in?
Religious freaks are rude and more often than not, uneducated. Yes I am talking about those street evangelists. The ones with bullhorns that stand on a plastic box at a corner yelling proverbs and saying we are all going to hell. Always displaying some cardboard sign with writing in sharpie, with words like “Jesus is the way,” “God hates fags,” “Truth,” “The end is near,” and so on and so forth. The ones who look you right in the eye and say “I am here to save your soul stranger, because you are a sinner and you are going to hell, and I love you.” Sorry Mr. Jesus Freak, I don’t take well to threats of eternal damnation. Stop spreading unnecessary fear and let people live their fucking lives! P.S. Get a fucking job and stop wasting your time preaching bullshit you bum.
Creationism is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Judeo-Christianity actually refuses to believe in evolution!!! Come on now! They believe the earth is less than 6,000 years old! Come on now! Eve was made from Adams rib! Come on now! And to blatantly refuse evolution as a fact. . . . “Well what about the missing link or chain?! You can’t observe evolution.” No we cannot observe evolution take place, sir, because evolution takes place over hundreds and thousands of years. BUT. We can observe the end results or current stage in evolution of today and compare it with fossils (which are well older than 6,000 years I might add.) Mutations can be observed! Just because we physically can’t see the process taking place doesn’t mean we cannot examine the resulting mutation. The key term here. . . Empirical evidence.
Last but certainly not least; God simply does not exist. Why waste my time believing in something that does not exist?
What are your reasons?

OP, we are not here to drive traffic to your blog. Dodgy Please familiarize yourself with the rules.
RE: 10 Reasons why I am an atheist
Before actually answering I can't help to noticed that you pretty much focused yourself on the big three monotheistic religions and created a case of Atheism V. Religion - That's a tendency of New Atheism I dislike. You can make (and should) an astoundingly good case for atheism without even mentioning religion or making comparisons. Also, I can't help to notice that most of your reasons are based on your personal opinions about religion which are irrelevant to be an atheist or not because what matters is the truth even if some people cannot handle it - Things like creationism are not even important because the Catholic church has long accepted evolution and priests are now required to be educated on it and street preaching is something I've come across about 3 times a year and quite honestly I find political campaigns far more annoying (VOTE FOR US FUCKER HERE'S THE FLYER!)
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Very nice. Yes, that sums it up pretty well.

I can add some from my own opinion:

1- The very idea of "worship" is obscene, I wouldn't worship anyone or anything. I'd pretend to worship a loony with a gun to my head until I could get away, but there is no gun.

2- It's a position that can't be wrong, it is the most rational and intellectually honest.

3- I wouldn't change the way I act one bit even if there was a "God".

4- Trying to learn things, especially about morality, from old books written by goat buggerers is misguided at best.

5- All the arguments put forward, even to try to get to a deistic God are always fallacious and/or dishonest.

6- Stuff being written in a book doesn't make it true.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I think you can see evolution happening, the flu virus evolves every year, that's why the flu shot this year probably won't work next year. Bacteria have evolved resistance to antibiotics over the last 30 - 40 years, that's why we have problems with MRSA etc.
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

But, you see, that's just microevolution. No one denies that!

(April 21, 2015 at 1:34 pm)zebo-the-fat Wrote: I think you can see evolution happening, the flu virus evolves every year, that's why the flu shot this year probably won't work next year. Bacteria have evolved resistance to antibiotics over the last 30 - 40 years, that's why we have problems with MRSA etc.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

OP, please read the rules. Not only are you spamming by copying and pasting without adding your own thoughts, but you're violating our 30/30 rule by posting a link before you've made thirty posts and been a member for thirty days.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheist Wiki -- Reasons that god does not exist. Jehanne 12 1309 July 18, 2018 at 12:09 am
Last Post: DLJ
  Reasons to detest Jazz # 9 Succubus 68 3559 March 13, 2018 at 4:19 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Oatmeal: The terrible and wonderful reasons why I run Creed of Heresy 6 1048 September 8, 2013 at 8:24 am
Last Post: Creed of Heresy