Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 12:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
☆ The Beatles Thread ☆
☆ The Beatles Thread ☆
I couldn't see any recent thread dedicated to discussion of The Beatles so I decided to create this one Big Grin Any other fans on this board? If so, what about them makes you a fan and what are some of your favourite songs/albums of theirs? Smile
"The chances of each of us coming into existence are infinitesimally small, and even though we shall all die some day, we should count ourselves fantastically lucky to get our decades in the sun." - Richard Dawkins

RE: ☆ The Beatles Thread ☆
I was.

45 years ago.
Yeah, I remember buying every one of their albums as they came out up through the white album. I liked how their music evolved over time. I was in 6th grade when "I want to hold your hand" came out and I didn't like it at all. But in 7th grade, I remember liking "Eight Days A Week" and then I started buying them all.

I also listened to a lot Motown back then and Sun, so bands like The Four Tops and the Supremes, along with great singers like Otis Redding. Stevie Wonder was great.

But my first singles 45's were Satisfaction by the Stones and The Letter by the Box Tops.
(April 21, 2015 at 7:23 pm)whateverist Wrote: Yeah, I remember buying every one of their albums as they came out up through the white album. I liked how their music evolved over time. I was in 6th grade when "I want to hold your hand" came out and I didn't like it at all. But in 7th grade, I remember liking "Eight Days A Week" and then I started buying them all.

I also listened to a lot Motown back then and Sun, so bands like The Four Tops and the Supremes, along with great singers like Otis Redding. Stevie Wonder was great.

But my first singles 45's were Satisfaction by the Stones and The Letter by the Box Tops.

That's pretty awesome to have lived through the 60s and watched as The Beatles and all those other great artists developed. Perhaps the decade gets romanticised at times, but it's definitely a time that I'd love to visit if I had a time machine.
"The chances of each of us coming into existence are infinitesimally small, and even though we shall all die some day, we should count ourselves fantastically lucky to get our decades in the sun." - Richard Dawkins

Then again, I've never liked the concert scene. Think of all the great live music I could have experienced if I wasn't such a non-joiner.
(April 21, 2015 at 7:23 pm)whateverist Wrote: I liked how their music evolved over time.

I love that you said this. I have the same opinion; however, what I think gets lost on many is the fact that 'evolved over time' means '63 through '70. These guys were cranking out two albums per year. The Beatles weren't just prodigious by volume, but the evolution of their songwriting and musicianship would be godlike in today's environment. Today, successful bands push out an album every five years with a couple good songs and a lot of fluff; always caving to the suit and tie demand that they give a facsimile of the last effort. Today's albums also take months to create.

I like the idea of this thread and hope others will take it up; so much to talk about. Despite the songwriting and musicianship, I don't think The Beatles get enough credit for being the first 'homegrown' band to write, record and perform their own material.
Their earliest stuff was "boop-boop-be-doo, I love you" teeny bopper crap. But Rubber Soul was an attention getter.
I never could get very excited about the Beatles as a whole, but there are some individual things I find great
This is interesting:

That chord progression on "I love to turn you on" is just out there. Also, the lyrics. lol.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I listened to them a lot growing up, I think they are amazing. I still listen to their stuff now and again.

Hmm, I like:

Ticket to Ride
Maxwell's Silver Hammer
Come Together
8 days a week (that one is out of date now I think...)
Day tripper
Eleanor Rigby

Plenty more. I like most of them.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I like them. Wouldn't call myself a fan, but I grew up with their music. It's my most vivid memory from the 60ies in the process of going from infant to child. Pennilane and Strawberry fields still strike a specific note in my memory. Didn't understand a word of it back then and even less of the meaning of Straberry fields, but the melody caught and still brings all kinds of childhood memories with it.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Benatar did a cover of the Beatles... Brian37 0 357 February 23, 2019 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Rolling Stones or Beatles A Theist 21 6216 January 9, 2011 at 1:25 am
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused