Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 4:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Eternal Life Even Desireable?
Is Eternal Life Even Desireable?
Recently, I encountered a Christian who asked me what atheists believe happens after death. I suspect the question was posed partly out of genuine curiosity, but with an underlying assumption that, whatever atheists believe, Christians believe in a more desireable outcome. When answering, I started off by saying that it depends on the atheist, in an attempt to convey the fact that there is a great plurality of beliefs among atheists. Then I went on to say that I personally think an individual (at least as far as their conciousness and experience is concerned) ceases to exist after death. Then they asked me, with what appeared to be a mixture of incomprehension, condescention and pity (lol), if I was scared of the thought of not existing. I wasn't really sure how to answer this part. Despite the many less than desireable aspects of existing, I am overall quite satisfied with the experience and am in no hurry to hasten my inevitable death. In fact, I would fight tooth and nail to stay alive, if I had to. But, while dying scares me a quite a bit, I'm not really scared of not existing, because there is literally nothing to be scared of (though I admit I am somewhat unsettled by the thought). At this point I thought I'd turn the question around on the Christian. I assumed (correctly as it turns out) that they believed they would look forward to everlasting life after they died. So I asked them if they were scared of everlasting life. They weren't. I think they assumed I was making a joke, because their reaction suggested that it had never even occured to them that existence without end could possibly be anything other than a good thing. I think this attitude betrays a total incomprehension of the implications of eternity. The thought of existence without end scares me much more than not existing. And the more I think about it, the more it seems to me that my views on what happens after we die are far more desireable than what Christians believe. I could expound further, but I've gone on long enough and I'd like to hear if anyone else has considered the matter.
RE: Is Eternal Life Even Desireable?
I think eternal life would be a bad thing.

As for not existing, that is what you did in the year 1800.  So that is what the year 2200 will be like for you.

Epicurus put it this way:

"Accustom yourself to believing that death is nothing to us, for good and evil imply the capacity for sensation, and death is the privation of all sentience; therefore a correct understanding that death is nothing to us makes the mortality of life enjoyable, not by adding to life a limitless time, but by taking away the yearning after immortality. For life has no terrors for him who has thoroughly understood that there are no terrors for him in ceasing to live. Foolish, therefore, is the man who says that he fears death, not because it will pain when it comes, but because it pains in the prospect. Whatever causes no annoyance when it is present, causes only a groundless pain in the expectation. Death, therefore, the most awful of evils, is nothing to us, seeing that, when we are, death is not come, and, when death is come, we are not. It is nothing, then, either to the living or to the dead, for with the living it is not and the dead exist no longer."

http://www.epicurus.net/en/menoeceus.html

As for the traditional Christian, he had better get it right, or instead of feeling high for eternity, he will be in hellfire for eternity, if his beliefs were correct.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
I disagree and I will play the devil's advocate. I can see the boredom of having an eternal life, but if it was ever achievable I wouldn't hesitate to seize the opportunity. Since I don't believe in the afterlife I think the only possibility for immortality is for living, physically existent humans. Why not?
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

I think it is desirable as an alternative to being asleep for all eternity, even if you are bored. I think I'd like an afterlife even if I don't believe in one.

It's not realistic, but it is desirable. I don't think any sane human being wants to die yet.

P.S Yeauxleaux is drunk so he gon' be a lil philosophical on today, lo siento (buuurp)
"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the road, and then getting hit by an airplane"  - sarcasm_only

"Ironically like the nativist far-Right, which despises multiculturalism, but benefits from its ideas of difference to scapegoat the other and to promote its own white identity politics; these postmodernists, leftists, feminists and liberals also use multiculturalism, to side with the oppressor, by demanding respect and tolerance for oppression characterised as 'difference', no matter how intolerable."
- Maryam Namazie

I'm sure there will be Bingo and Shuffleboards. Who doesn't like that?

"Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent."
~ Ludwig Wittgenstein

If there's a God, and he's not a total bumbler, I'm sure he's got something figured out. Besides, how little do we worry about the endless amounts of time in our life that we just let slip away. It would just be videogames and ho-ho's on a larger scale.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(April 22, 2015 at 6:49 pm)noctalla Wrote: Recently, I encountered a Christian who asked me what atheists believe happens after death. I suspect the question was posed partly out of genuine curiosity, but with an underlying assumption that, whatever atheists believe, Christians believe in a more desireable outcome. When answering, I started off by saying that it depends on the atheist, in an attempt to convey the fact that there is a great plurality of beliefs among atheists. Then I went on to say that I personally think an individual (at least as far as their conciousness and experience is concerned) ceases to exist after death. Then they asked me, with what appeared to be a mixture of incomprehension, condescention and pity (lol), if I was scared of the thought of not existing. I wasn't really sure how to answer this part. Despite the many less than desireable aspects of existing, I am overall quite satisfied with the experience and am in no hurry to hasten my inevitable death. In fact, I would fight tooth and nail to stay alive, if I had to. But, while dying scares me a quite a bit, I'm not really scared of not existing, because there is literally nothing to be scared of (though I admit I am somewhat unsettled by the thought). At this point I thought I'd turn the question around on the Christian. I assumed (correctly as it turns out) that they believed they would look forward to everlasting life after they died. So I asked them if they were scared of everlasting life. They weren't. I think they assumed I was making a joke, because their reaction suggested that it had never even occured to them that existence without end could possibly be anything other than a good thing. I think this attitude betrays a total incomprehension of the implications of eternity. The thought of existence without end scares me much more than not existing. And the more I think about it, the more it seems to me that my views on what happens after we die are far more desireable than what Christians believe. I could expound further, but I've gone on long enough and I'd like to hear if anyone else has considered the matter.

I have no fear of death; having said that I have told many people I am looking forward to my 150th birthday and then I'll decide if I want to continue living. In reality I think I'd look forward to everlasting life as long as I was able to get around; I wouldn't want to be on life support for eternity.

As to death, I believe wholeheartedly that "you" cease to exist when the body gives out. Your "spirit" will live on only in the minds of those you have made an impression on including, of course your descendents. Other than that whoosh. The "you (sole)" is dependent on  the living brain.

Robert
Robert
Today is the best day of my life and tomorrow will be even better.

Have to agree with Woody Allen: "I am not afraid of death, I just don't want to be there when it happens." What if it hurts?
I'm not afraid of being dead. I am afraid of dying. Unless you are lucky enough to go in your sleep or under anesthetic, it doesn't look like a pleasant transition. What's the first thing we want reassurance of when I relative dies? He didn't feel any pain. That's because there usually is pain.

And while I'm not afraid of being dead, I like living very much. And I'd like to go on doing so for quite a while yet. But I have met people who were not happy being alive anymore and who were indeed ready to die. That suggests that eternity might not be the best thing ever.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
Quote:When I die, I shall be content to vanish into nothingness.... No show, however good, could conceivably be good forever. I do not believe in immortality, and have no desire for it.
H L Mencken
Depends entirely on how you will use that eternal existence.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abiogenesis ("Chemical Evolution"): Did Life come from Non-Life by Pure Chance. Nishant Xavier 55 3089 August 6, 2023 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, lunwarris 49 3674 January 7, 2023 at 11:42 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1457 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, barji 9 1389 July 10, 2020 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  [Not Even A Little Bit Serious] Why AREN'T You An Atheist? BrianSoddingBoru4 28 3410 December 28, 2019 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  No Financial Inclusion Today! No Financial Inclusion Tomarrah! Or For Eternity, Even mascale 21 2102 August 12, 2019 at 3:28 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, asthev 14 2084 March 17, 2019 at 3:40 pm
Last Post: chimp3
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, auuka 21 3106 October 7, 2018 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: Reltzik
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, brukanzuu 14 2891 March 2, 2018 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: sdelsolray
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, baah 59 9908 October 27, 2017 at 3:24 pm
Last Post: LastPoet