Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 7:59 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Live From The Bible Belt
Live From The Bible Belt
Hello everyone. I'm a former atheist turned Bible believer. I'm looking for good discussions with that subject in mind. As an atheist for 27 years I finally decided to pick up a Bible and get to know that which seemed to influence what I saw as a crazy hypocritical and nonsensical paradigm. I discovered the truth of the Bible through intense study, involving, to some extent, the Greek philosophy and mythology which had, over time, crept into modern day Christian teachings. i hope we can learn from each other and have some interesting discussions.

Thanks for the opportunity

T.S.
RE: Live From The Bible Belt
Welcome. It will be a bumpy ride.
Hello, welcome aboard Smile
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Good job. Next you can study the quran, the torah, the bagvadgita, and a bunch of other holy books to see if they make more or less sense than the bible. Then get back with us and tell us how much more truth the bible has than other holy books.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Yahweh did log in a little while ago here, but then he went silent again. Where did he go?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(May 2, 2015 at 1:29 pm)TubbyTubby Wrote: Welcome. It will be a bumpy ride.

Thanks for the welcome and the warning. I can handle a bumpy ride. I like the roller coaster.  Cool
Welcome

I am interested to hear more about your story. Could you make a thread in Converts Corner telling us a little more about your journey? It is very rare that picking up a Bible and reading critically leads people to believe in God. Usually goes the other way...
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(May 2, 2015 at 1:47 pm)robvalue Wrote: Hello, welcome aboard Smile

Thanks, I appreciate the welcome.  Shy

(May 2, 2015 at 1:48 pm)Chad32 Wrote: Good job. Next you can study the quran, the torah, the bagvadgita, and a bunch of other holy books to see if they make more or less sense than the bible. Then get back with us and tell us how much more truth the bible has than other holy books.

Been there. Done that. The Baghavad Gita, The Quran, The Analects Of Confucius, The Dhammapada, Four Noble Truths, Gospel Of Buddha, Pirqe Aboth, Kojiki, Nihongi, Tao Te Ching, and Chuang Tzu. They don't compare.  

(May 2, 2015 at 2:01 pm)robvalue Wrote: Yahweh did log in a little while ago here, but then he went silent again. Where did he go?

Maybe he goes by the English translation now.  Big Grin

(May 2, 2015 at 2:07 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: Welcome

I am interested to hear more about your story. Could you make a thread in Converts Corner telling us a little more about your journey? It is very rare that picking up a Bible and reading critically leads people to believe in God. Usually goes the other way...

Thanks for the welcome. I may introduce that thread soon if there is enough of a story to tell. 
(May 2, 2015 at 1:23 pm)Theoretical Skeptic Wrote: Hello everyone. I'm a former atheist turned Bible believer.

Every christian is a former atheist turned Bible believer, since you had to not believe first before believing. It's a non-nonsensical phrase. The implied meaning is that "you saw our side" and we were wrong! Nyah!

I am a non-smoker, and heve always been a non-smoker. I studied Pre-med in College before later changing majors but I did get a healthy interest in Anatomy and disease. So with my studies, I can give many terrific reasons that it is wrong to take up smoking. My arguments against smoking are vastly different than someone's who just thought it was stinky and made them cough. Similarly, as a Former christian, son of a loudmouth argumentative Southern Baptist preacher, and who has been interested in debunking all the lies that he heard all through his childhood by studying theology and ancient archeology, I am sure that I am a much different atheist than the one you claimed to have been.
Find the cure for Fundementia!
Welcome Smile
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The descent had destroyed me, but yet, I live. WinterHold 20 2824 March 9, 2015 at 12:00 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  Greetings From the Bible Belt Syncopation 12 3640 October 13, 2012 at 2:01 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Live from New York, It's Morganna! Morganna 23 4922 May 27, 2012 at 5:59 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  Howdy From Texas...The Bible Belt! LunchBox 34 6085 January 20, 2012 at 3:57 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Howdy from the heart of the Bible belt popeyespappy 17 4168 May 8, 2011 at 4:49 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy