Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 12:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Job search in the medical field
Job search in the medical field
So I have been applying with different medical organizations. I came across this yesterday. I wonder what you guys think. Especially the "Our Mission" section. This is the first step to applying online with Portland Adventist Medical Center. This is before you can even fill out an application, for any position.

[Image: dc52deee8e6b07186c04ff66a45fd204.jpg]
RE: Job search in the medical field
Oh wow. I'd fill it out completely honestly just to see what would happen Tongue
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
I'm sorry, what is your question?  The Seventh Day Adventists are a crazy Christian denomination, and so they have crazy ideas.

If you are asking if you should apply for work with them, I would not, but it is your life and your career, so you should do what you think best.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
Oooh, meow.

I wouldn't be comfortable working for them. It's impossible for anyone here to say what's right for you, though. You need to decide what's most important for yourself, meow.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
 I should have been more clear. I have no intention on filling out the application with them. My issue is the legality of what they are asking at the very beginning of the application process. It feels like a screening process. It feels like they are saying "Atheists need not apply". I think if I tried to fake it, it would be clear in a later process, that I am not like them. Although I may excel at my job. I feel like I would be asked personal questions by co workers and it could be a hostile work environment. If I could even get hired, which I doubt.
I used to volunteer in HR for UPMC Mercy in Pittsburgh, which at least at that time was Catholic. I always felt very welcome there. Nothing overtly religious about the experience.

I suppose most Christian values can be reinterpreted in a secular way. So, I suppose my main concern is: is it a good hospital? Is it clean? Do they really treat all people with respect? Etc.

ETA: Oops. Ninjaed.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
I have been going through the application process with Providence (Catholic), OHSU, and Kaiser, both of the later have no religion mentioned in the application process. Providence basically stated that they have religion involved, if you have a problem with it, it would be best to look elsewhere.The Adventist one just seems incredibly biased and... dare I say it...discriminating. Is that ok? Is there a loop hole? Am I wrong?
(May 2, 2015 at 8:30 pm)Pyrrho Wrote: I'm sorry, what is your question?  The Seventh Day Adventists are a crazy Christian denomination, and so they have crazy ideas.

If you are asking if you should apply for work with them, I would not, but it is your life and your career, so you should do what you think best.

I think the question here, is:  how the fuck is this legal under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act?

This, being this:

This appears to be a prima facie attempt to exclude non-Christians from employment.
I've heard of Providence because they are a stadium sponsor up there. It's too bad they (by their own admission) seem like they'll be problematic. Kaiser! I forgot about them. I've actually been a Kaiser kid since 1983. It's a unique atmosphere and they seem to endeavor to profit by actually keeping you healthy.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
(May 2, 2015 at 8:41 pm)Kitty Galore Wrote:  I should have been more clear. I have no intention on filling out the application with them. My issue is the legality of what they are asking at the very beginning of the application process. It feels like a screening process. It feels like they are saying "Atheists need not apply". I think if I tried to fake it, it would be clear in a later process, that I am not like them. Although I may excel at my job. I feel like I would be asked personal questions by co workers and it could be a hostile work environment. If I could even get hired, which I doubt.

For what is legal, it is best to talk with a lawyer.  A good lawyer will make a distinction between what is legal, and what people can get away with doing.  Even if what they are doing is illegal, before they are stopped, someone must stop them.  People often seem to have some strange idea that everything is somehow vetted before it is done, but that is very far from what actually happens.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Job h311inac311 189 12810 November 8, 2022 at 4:07 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Search for Causes Lek 202 14923 January 9, 2020 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Job forces me to attend church TheGamingAtheist 30 4318 July 20, 2014 at 11:57 am
Last Post: Brakeman
  Dear Theist: Do Your Job or Find Another Phaedra 56 16352 December 19, 2011 at 11:22 am
Last Post: znk666
  Cancer patient fired from job for being an atheist, now needs financial help Eilonnwy 8 4651 July 13, 2009 at 11:46 am
Last Post: Samson