Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 11:23 am

Poll: Are the buttons annoying?
This poll is closed.
Yes
60.00%
9 60.00%
No
40.00%
6 40.00%
Total 15 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Social media buttons
Social media buttons
I noticed we now have some social media buttons at the top of the page (Facebook, Twitter).

Would it be possible to have an option where we don't see these? Or to move them to the bottom of the page? 

I just... I dunno... it just looks shit. It's screwing with my OCD and now the main index page doesn't look symmetrical. It's already getting on my tits and it's only been on there for a day or two. 

But maybe I'm the only guy who's bothered by it...
RE: Social media buttons
Yes you are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0MK7qz13bU

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Look at them, Napoleon.
LOOK AT THEM.
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
The Frenchman is right.  It is not aesthetically pleasing.  It seems a strange thing to bother with a logo contest if one is going to cover it with things that will detract from the look of it anyway.  But, not having OCD, it isn't something I would have bothered starting a thread to complain about it, and I don't give it a lot of thought.  Of course, I also have not designed a logo either, so it isn't exactly a high priority for me in a variety of ways.

But since someone else has started a thread, I agree, it is unattractive.  But I am sure that they were put there to have them prominently displayed, rather than to serve an aesthetic purpose.  Since I personally do not use such "social media," for me it is irrelevant crap that clutters the look of the page.  Fortunately, I scroll down and it scrolls off the screen, so that I am not looking at it all of the time.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
(May 12, 2015 at 4:06 pm)Pyrrho Wrote: The Frenchman is right.  It is not aesthetically pleasing.  It seems a strange thing to bother with a logo contest if one is going to cover it with things that will detract from the look of it anyway.  But, not having OCD, it isn't something I would have bothered starting a thread to complain about it, and I don't give it a lot of thought.  Of course, I also have not designed a logo either, so it isn't exactly a high priority for me in a variety of ways.

But since someone else has started a thread, I agree, it is unattractive.  But I am sure that they were put there to have them prominently displayed, rather than to serve an aesthetic purpose.  Since I personally do not use such "social media," for me it is irrelevant crap that clutters the look of the page.  Fortunately, I scroll down and it scrolls off the screen, so that I am not looking at it all of the time.

It's not like a massive annoyance for me or anything, I just think it draws more attention than it should whenever I'm on the index page. Like you say, you scroll down and you don't see it. 90% of the time I'm scrolled down further into the page to read threads and such, but for those few seconds when a page loads and I see the AF logo in all its glory, it just looks ruined by those tacky facebook and twitter buttons IMHO. 

(May 12, 2015 at 3:42 pm)Iroscato Wrote: Look at them, Napoleon.
LOOK AT THEM.

Fucking hard to miss them.

On the plus side I've just realised there's buttons at the bottom of the page that allow you to put in a poll after you've posted the thread, I swear we didn't have that before.
(May 12, 2015 at 3:30 pm)Napoléon Wrote: I noticed we now have some social media buttons at the top of the page (Facebook, Twitter).

Would it be possible to have an option where we don't see these? Or to move them to the bottom of the page? 

I just... I dunno... it just looks shit. It's screwing with my OCD and now the main index page doesn't look symmetrical. It's already getting on my tits and it's only been on there for a day or two. 

I agree.  I like the option to hide them. Then we could see and use them if we did want to.

BTW, I'm sorry, but I read all of your posts in Steve Carell's voice in my head, which makes everything you post inadvertently funny.  I can't help it....
Do people read my posts in NPH's voice? lol
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
(May 12, 2015 at 5:15 pm)Aroura Wrote: BTW, I'm sorry, but I read all of your posts in Steve Carell's voice in my head, which makes everything you post inadvertently funny.  I can't help it....

Well pretty much all of my posts are fucking hilarious anyway so s'all gurd. Wink
(May 12, 2015 at 5:15 pm)Aroura Wrote: ...
BTW, I'm sorry, but I read all of your posts in Steve Carell's voice in my head, which makes everything you post inadvertently funny.  I can't help it....

Of course! Why wouldn't we imagine your posts in your voice?

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
They don't bother me! I've put some black electrical tape over them.
What's the big deal....?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(May 12, 2015 at 5:15 pm)Aroura Wrote:
(May 12, 2015 at 3:30 pm)Napoléon Wrote: I noticed we now have some social media buttons at the top of the page (Facebook, Twitter).

I agree.  I like the option to hide them. Then we could see and use them if we did want to.

THAT was really bugging the hell out of me. I did not realize that was NPH until you just said so. 

I read your posts in the voice of Shelly Long as Diane Chambers, FTR.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is slack a private social club and other issues my sorry ass has landed itself in Angrboda 89 11462 April 22, 2023 at 10:47 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Media isn't showing Aegon 9 2045 March 22, 2018 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Rate and thumbs buttons not working.. Brakeman 2 1309 February 21, 2013 at 9:16 am
Last Post: Tiberius
  Disable embedded media on mobile Tea Earl Grey Hot 10 3602 January 22, 2013 at 12:41 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  hey so, kind of trying to do a social study here jwsurvivors 0 1392 November 6, 2010 at 1:12 am
Last Post: jwsurvivors