Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 2:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wrath of God
Wrath of God
What do you think of this story serving as a warning of what can happen to those who disrespect Christians and mock God?

A Glass of the Wrath of God - By Martin Wells Knapp

In one of the silent towns of the West, years ago, there lived an able and faithful minister of the Gospel. There was in his parish at a certain time an unusual interest in religion, and a sermon was preached on the "Wrath of God." It was a very faithful discourse, and deeply affected the congregation. After the sermon an inquiry meeting was held, and many remained. Among the number were two wicked young men, who, from motives of curiosity or mischief, placed themselves among the inquirers. They tried to disturb the meeting and distract the attention of those who were really serious. After the meeting they went to the hotel, and, walking up to the bar, called for something to drink. They were asked what they would have. One of them replied, "Give me a glass of the wrath of God." The bartender turned him out something in the usual way, and he drank it and instantly fell dead upon the floor! A powerful impression was made upon the young men of that place, and the event is remembered there yet with fear and dread.
The Skipper Says:
Good work, Little Buddy

RE: Wrath of God
I don't think much of it, even if there were any truth in it. The glass of "God's wrath" could have easily been poison delivered by the bartender in order to make it look like God had punished the men. Of course, no references are made to an actual event like this taking place, so the story is probably fiction (and if it is fiction, it serves as no warning whatsoever).
(April 9, 2010 at 11:29 am)Tiberius Wrote: I don't think much of it, even if there were any truth in it. The glass of "God's wrath" could have easily been poison delivered by the bartender in order to make it look like God had punished the men. Of course, no references are made to an actual event like this taking place, so the story is probably fiction (and if it is fiction, it serves as no warning whatsoever).

Why would the bartender poison the drink, if that is what happened? They would have no interest in faking the wrath of God.
The Skipper Says:
Good work, Little Buddy

I have to agree with adrian. Unless there is evidence to suggest this really happened and that the drink had no poison in it (which is unprovable as the drink was not preserved for testing) then this so called warning will not be taken seriously.
Quote:Why would the bartender poison the drink, if that is what happened? They would have no interest in faking the wrath of God.
There is no evidence to suggest that god exists at all and to conclude that a drink killed them because of what they said about god does not prove god's existance. The most likely reason for their deaths would be that the partender posioned their drinks.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
[face] Urban myth or simple murder by the bartender. Not evidence of anything really as there are many variables that could have caused the man's death that don't involve magic. [/palm]

PS Ace, it was probably Iocaine poison so there is no way to detect it...
(April 9, 2010 at 11:34 am)Gilligan Wrote:
(April 9, 2010 at 11:29 am)Tiberius Wrote: I don't think much of it, even if there were any truth in it. The glass of "God's wrath" could have easily been poison delivered by the bartender in order to make it look like God had punished the men. Of course, no references are made to an actual event like this taking place, so the story is probably fiction (and if it is fiction, it serves as no warning whatsoever).

Why would the bartender poison the drink, if that is what happened? They would have no interest in faking the wrath of God.
This is the old West. You said the two men were "wicked" and caused mischief. It is far easier to believe that the bartender simply wanted to get rid of them in a quick and easy way (whilst also making it look like the wrath of God, since you also said the people were interested in religion). It's a perfect setup. Two men mock God, the preacher says that God's wrath is real, and the bartender uses the fear this has in people to kill the two men.

Of course, for me what is more convincing is that even if this story is real, why doesn't it happen today. I can mock God all I want, yet when I go to buy a drink it doesn't kill me. I wonder why God has suddenly decided to stop? He seemed to be very present at the "beginning" and (according to this story) around 150 years ago, but not today. Why is that?
(April 9, 2010 at 11:36 am)Rhizomorph13 Wrote: [face] Urban myth or simple murder by the bartender. Not evidence of anything really as there are many variables that could have caused the man's death that don't involve magic. [/palm]

Why would a bartender want to murder someone who mocks God ? I would assume most bartenders aren't even religious.
The Skipper Says:
Good work, Little Buddy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7NrITIIdRE

This guys been doing it all day. Guess what?
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(April 9, 2010 at 11:46 am)Gilligan Wrote:
(April 9, 2010 at 11:36 am)Rhizomorph13 Wrote: [face] Urban myth or simple murder by the bartender. Not evidence of anything really as there are many variables that could have caused the man's death that don't involve magic. [/palm]

Why would a bartender want to murder someone who mocks God ? I would assume most bartenders aren't even religious.

My grandfather is now a monk at the Trappist abby in Lafayette Oregon and has been a devout catholic his whole life and spent much of that life as a bartender. Hmm, my anecdote seems to prove that bartenders are religious, just as much as yours proves that god's wrath can kill people.
(April 9, 2010 at 11:13 am)Gilligan Wrote: What do you think of this story serving as a warning of what can happen to those who disrespect Christians and mock God?

A Glass of the Wrath of God - By Martin Wells Knapp

In one of the silent towns of the West, years ago, there lived an able and faithful minister of the Gospel. There was in his parish at a certain time an unusual interest in religion, and a sermon was preached on the "Wrath of God." It was a very faithful discourse, and deeply affected the congregation. After the sermon an inquiry meeting was held, and many remained. Among the number were two wicked young men, who, from motives of curiosity or mischief, placed themselves among the inquirers. They tried to disturb the meeting and distract the attention of those who were really serious. After the meeting they went to the hotel, and, walking up to the bar, called for something to drink. They were asked what they would have. One of them replied, "Give me a glass of the wrath of God." The bartender turned him out something in the usual way, and he drank it and instantly fell dead upon the floor! A powerful impression was made upon the young men of that place, and the event is remembered there yet with fear and dread.

So you do people believe this myth where you come from?

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  God’s Wrath BrokenQuill92 32 2836 May 26, 2020 at 1:15 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  God is love. God is just. God is merciful. Chad32 62 19467 October 21, 2014 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Cheerful Charlie
  Hurricane Katrina, Mother nature or Wrath of God? L4EV 34 14840 May 29, 2012 at 12:12 pm
Last Post: Creed of Heresy