Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 9:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questioning Darwin - new HBO doc
Video 
Questioning Darwin - new HBO doc
So there's a new documentary about the sad trend of people believing in made up bullshit rather then the real thing. In the documentary they also try to explain the people to believe in evolution, they really try to make it look friendly and not Luciferish as religious people "think" natural selection is.

RE: Questioning Darwin - new HBO doc
Whatever does it mean to make a scientific theory look friendly?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Well if you look at the documentary you can hear them say that it's "devil inspired" which usually means unfriendly so they tried to make a friendly aproach. Like to this guy
[Image: bbe8290b9bb6292161c71be5815a4664.png]
Oh I see. They simply don't think it is a scientific theory. So saying that it is already improves the situation..
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

They try to show there is no devil behind evolution. Like they say "We can't be animals!" but why? Animals can also love each-other, they can be gentle, they are parents, despite the fact that there seems to be a war going between the species of Earth. They also try to explain why people should not believe in god or at least why Darwin didn't.
I'll watch it over dinner Smile

Thanks for posting this, i'll watch it fully later

I'll say something based on what I saw in the first few minutes though - When Christians say that evolution is incompatible with the Bible, they're completely right.. it punches a hole through the literal interpretation of it at least, if humans came about through evolution and weren't magicked up by God one Tuesday then the Garden of Eden stuff never happened, meaning there was no original sin and no need for a saviour. Unfortunately they've drawn the wrong conclusion from this incompatibility which is to say, "lalalala science lies lalalala i can't hear you!"

I'd go even further than that though and say that evolution is incompatible with the idea of there being any sort of God, or at least a caring one given how brutal a process natural selection is. Even if God caused and oversees evolution with the intended eventual outcome being his favourite and chosen species - the human, then why didn't he just start with us and not bother with the millions of years of evolution?

Darwin might not have intended his theory to be anti-religion but it definitely is
“The larger the group, the more toxic, the more of your beauty as an individual you have to surrender for the sake of group thought. And when you suspend your individual beauty you also give up a lot of your humanity. You will do things in the name of a group that you would never do on your own. Injuring, hurting, killing, drinking are all part of it, because you've lost your identity, because you now owe your allegiance to this thing that's bigger than you are and that controls you.”  - George Carlin
(May 20, 2015 at 7:12 am)Saxmoof Wrote: Darwin might not have intended his theory to be anti-religion but it definitely is

He very probably didn't intend it as he was still very much an Anglican as a young man (after all, he once studied to become a theologian), but, after he had invented it, it did have that effect on him. There are letters in which he bemoans the conflicts he has with his dear wife (who helped him in his work) about the religious implications of the theory.

I saw a 4 minute condensed version of the documentary and it was frightening to me that these people have children and vote. Although I did really enjoy the comment of the one girl who said she hopes Darwin finds Jesus... I don't think she realized he died in the 19th century.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
(May 20, 2015 at 7:24 am)Alex K Wrote:
(May 20, 2015 at 7:12 am)Saxmoof Wrote: Darwin might not have intended his theory to be anti-religion but it definitely is

He very probably didn't intend it as he was still very much an Anglican as a young man (after all, he once studied to become a theologian), but, after he had invented it, it did have that effect on him. There are letters in which he bemoans the conflicts he has with his dear wife (who helped him in his work) about the religious implications of the theory.

Any scientific theory ultimate makes up an integral part of an inescapably antireligious whole, although if viewed narrowly, some might, with the aid of only a moderate degree of intellectual dissonance, not appear quite obviously so on the surface.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HBO's Biggest Sunday Night Show returns 2/12 SteelCurtain 2 818 January 18, 2017 at 9:48 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  New Nightwish Album on Darwin, with Dawkins as narrator Alex K 12 2950 April 5, 2015 at 11:16 am
Last Post: DiRNiS
  Confession, repentance for questioning Islamic law Malay Apostate 1 1850 July 5, 2013 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Putting "win" in Darwin chuckster26 4 1457 February 21, 2011 at 11:40 pm
Last Post: chuckster26
  Did Darwin Kill God? fr0d0 14 4198 May 22, 2009 at 8:44 am
Last Post: Giff
  Barack Obama On Science And Charles Darwin. leo-rcc 1 1593 February 14, 2009 at 3:13 am
Last Post: Darwinian