Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 1:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ask a biologist
Ask a biologist
Okay I guess I'll play, gotta be a good sport and all.

Molecular biologist here ... ask me anything about biology (evolution, cancer research, genetic engineering, whatever)!
RE: Ask a biologist
Why can't you guys dumb down evolution enough so that even theists can understand it?
Are unnatural things humans do natural to some degree because we do them (and thus evolution allowed us)? [So nothing is unnatural)
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

(May 21, 2015 at 8:59 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Why can't you guys dumb down evolution enough so that even theists can understand it?

That would take a miracle.  You are addressing a biologist, not a crackpot religionist.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
Mother nature made you, gave you brains, you got the whole periodic table to work with, and you still can't sort out the abiogenesis thing. What, do you guys play cards all day!?

We're fighting off xtards in droves who don't know the difference between evolution and abiogenesis, and we don't know how much longer we can hold it, Jim!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Why haven't you guys cured cancer already?  You have been going at it for years, with millions of dollars, and people still die from cancer.  If the government gave me millions of dollars, I could not cure cancer, too.  In fact, I would be willing to not cure cancer for less money than you guys are taking.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
Cancer? Let's start small. Why don't we have a cure for the common cold?
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
Ok, here's one that has been bothering me for a while: what is your take on the value and purpose of the ENCODE project. I have seen several pop sci videos/documentaries presenting it, and as a science person who also does popular science and outreach stuff, I know superficial propaganda when I see it, and that was that. So give it to us straight, what does it do and what doesn't it?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Why did you become a biologist?
(May 21, 2015 at 9:25 pm)Pyrrho Wrote: Why haven't you guys cured cancer already?  You have been going at it for years, with millions of dollars, and people still die from cancer.  If the government gave me millions of dollars, I could not cure cancer, too.  In fact, I would be willing to not cure cancer for less money than you guys are taking.

In fact researchers are probably the lowest paid highly educated group of people in America. The PhD track is not designed for people who are looking for fame and fortune. If you don't truly love biology and science, find another profession, because chances are you won't stick it out anyway. 

First, you sweat through an undergraduate degree, then if your grades are good enough, your GRE score high enough, you get into a PhD program. You're given a meager stipend of somewhere between $20,000 and 30,000 per year, to work as a full time researcher (we calculated that we were working for something like $12 per hour doing extremely advanced research that requires a shit load of education). Then you go on to the post-doc track, where you maybe earn around $40K to start, inch your way up to $50 or 60K, while our peers in other disciplines (like MBAs or really easy majors like public relations or whatever, are earning double what we're earning). 

But the truth is, cancer is complicated. We've only recently learned that there's a such thing as cancer stem cells, cancer cells actually evolve (natural selection occurs within the tumor microenvironment), and it's really difficult to target cancer cells without damaging healthy cells. So for example while chemotherapy does a great job of killing cancer cells, it also targets other rapidly dividing cells (like hair and immune cells). If we give to much, patient dies from the chemo itself, too little, not enough to treat the cancer. Sometimes the cancer has metastasized to the point where you would need too much chemo drug (and it will kill the patient), so it's untreatable. 

Cancer is also notoriously difficult to diagnose. Sometimes tumors are hidden deep in our organs, where conventional imaging just cannot detect the tumor. Sometimes it doesn't become symptomatic until it spreads (when it's much more difficult to treat). 

It's not a conspiracy, cancer is just really complex. But the good news is, we're really close to having the ability to treat cancer at any stage, so now is the time that this country needs to urgently increase our investments in research. 

(May 22, 2015 at 4:11 am)Neimenovic Wrote: Why did you become a biologist?

For many reasons. I view biology as the science with the most powerful near term potential. I've lost many good friends and family members to things like cancer, heart disease, respiratory disease, etc. I've seen many people I care about suffer from things like alcoholism. And as a skeptic, I've always believed that science is our only hope to cure disease, live longer and better lives, solve intractable problems like global warming, etc., so I just can't think of anything else I'd rather be doing.