Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 1:20 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A simple question.
A simple question.
A simple question, but a not so simple answer:

What is the first number that comes after 0?
RE: A simple question.
Jesus.

Duh.
I'll bite.

I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
(April 11, 2010 at 10:58 pm)Tiberius Wrote: A simple question, but a not so simple answer:

I guess the answer depends on what kind of number. the first natural number after 0 is 1. The first real number after 0 has to be undefined.
how about (1-0.999r) ?
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

"Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys" - P.J. O'Rourke

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

"Nothing succeeds like the appearance of success." - Christopher Lasch

(April 11, 2010 at 11:28 pm)tavarish Wrote: Jesus.

Duh.
No.
(April 11, 2010 at 11:29 pm)Dotard Wrote: I'll bite.

No. Wink
(April 11, 2010 at 11:29 pm)The_Flying_Skeptic Wrote: I guess the answer depends on what kind of number. the first natural number after 0 is 1. The first real number after 0 has to be undefined.
Indeed, and you got the answer. The first real number (so the very first) after 0 is completely undefined. Our numeric system is very bizarre Wink
(April 11, 2010 at 11:48 pm)theblindferrengi Wrote: how about (1-0.999r) ?
Well considering that 0.999r equals 1, that would be 1-1 which is 0, so no. Big Grin
(April 11, 2010 at 10:58 pm)Tiberius Wrote: A simple question, but a not so simple answer:

0.0r1 Wink
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
I suck at maths and therefore am completely ignorant as to the differance between a natural number and a real number.

Short explaination?
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
---------------
NO MA'AM
Natural numbers are all the positive integers (i.e. whole numbers) starting from 0, so: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4,...

Real numbers are any point on the infinitely long number line (-∞ to +∞). So they include the natural numbers, but also pretty much every other number Big Grin. This isn't *every* number in the strictest sense of the term, since imaginary numbers cannot be placed on the number line, and neither can complex numbers (since they include an imaginary part).
Neat.

Thanks. I'm guessing real numbers would be like 1.2474? Something like that?

Imaginary numbers? Complex numbers?

I know, I sound like a fuckin' 5 year old when it comes to math. If it's a simple explaination, please do. If it's a complicated answer (my I.Q. is only 154.5, so not quite as smart as you) I'll understand a reluctance to explain it as this isn't a math classroom.
---------------
---------------
NO MA'AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  simple maths or simple minds? ignoramus 9 1097 April 6, 2021 at 11:25 am
Last Post: polymath257
  Solve this simple equation (help pls) ErGingerbreadMandude 46 7672 December 7, 2017 at 10:15 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  A simple arithmetical challenge. Tiberius 18 5460 October 15, 2013 at 8:57 am
Last Post: Tiberius
  Simple processes can't create complex patterns. lrh9 2 2109 September 14, 2010 at 9:32 pm
Last Post: lrh9
  A simple one Darwinian 14 4651 February 22, 2010 at 11:33 am
Last Post: Zhalentine
  2 simple notes and questions. Edwardo Piet 7 4758 October 17, 2008 at 1:14 pm
Last Post: josef rosenkranz