Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 8:28 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Converting to Atheism?
Converting to Atheism?
Hey guys, I just have a few quick questions regarding converting to Atheism. But first, I'll give some background on why I am here. It's the typical Atheist story, I always felt different as a child, grew up in a religious household where my parents were pretty strict. They often insulted my intelligence with stories of some "man in the sky" and I haven't grown quite fond of them as a result. I eventually became fed up with their controlling ways, so I began to explore other beliefs. I would scour the net in search for enlightenment each and ever day, and there I eventually found Atheistic gods like Christopher Hitchens, Sam Harris, and Richard Dawkins. I am now 18 and free from my parents grasp in a college dorm, and hence I am able to convert. So, here comes the questions (keep in mind that I'm new to this religion so please be patient with me):

1. I already acknowledge Dawkins, Hitchens, and Harris as the three main Atheistic gods, but are there any more Atheist deities that I need to quote?

2. Do I have to make Atheism my whole life identity? Should I constantly assert that I am an Atheist?

2.  I am good and ready to start religious debates with people on the internet, but just how much condescension is required in these Atheistic sermons?

3. I know reading up on other religions is expected of that of a practicing Atheist, but I'm wondering how much is sufficient? Is three Google searches okay enough to compete with a scholar on religion?

4. Must I dismissively label every one who explains something about religion to me as an "apologist"?

5. And finally, does regurgitating witty one-liners like "God is just as real as unicorns, fairies, and the flying spaghetti monster" score me any intellectual points?

That's all for the moment, thanks for your time.
RE: Converting to Atheism?
I had a fucking amazing idea yesterday.

FUCKING MOBILE ROCK CRUSHERS.
[Image: portable-rock-crusher-1.gif]
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
I am unsure if you are being sarcastic or if you actually think atheism is a religion. Please clarify.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Regarding your question one, I would thoroughly recommend Colonel Robert Ingersoll, my own favourite atheist author. I'm not going to comment at this time on your other questions.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(May 30, 2015 at 1:40 am)Aoi Magi Wrote: I am unsure if you are being sarcastic or if you actually think atheism is a religion. Please clarify.

I come here with the best of intentions, I assure you that I am an angel (I hope that term is not offensive). I am just here to learn. 
Someone got unmanned by an atheist somewhere, and needed to lash out like a 12 year old.

Is it at all possible, internet Jesus, for you to send us some more talented and/or more entertaining trolls?
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(May 30, 2015 at 1:46 am)SteelCurtain Wrote: Someone got unmanned by an atheist somewhere, and needed to lash out like a 12 year old.

Is it at all possible, internet Jesus, for you to send us some more talented and/or more entertaining trolls?

Oh no, I aim to be the Atheist doing the unmanning. Please teach me how to be a great practicing Atheist such as yourself.
My sock sense is tingling.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Yours tingled mine.

I am getting a very hostile vibe here. Is it customary for all Atheist to greet people this way?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27102 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Converting Atheists with Guilt Knight000 19 5180 September 10, 2015 at 11:11 pm
Last Post: CristW
  Couple of clingers in my de-converting Won2blv 40 7822 May 8, 2015 at 7:30 am
Last Post: Aractus
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12468 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12138 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10476 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  So I asked some christians if they would give it their best shot at converting me Lemonvariable72 33 10440 September 6, 2013 at 1:38 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  A different definition of atheism. Atheism isn't simply lack of belief in god/s fr0d0 14 12004 August 1, 2012 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  I'm de-converting Adjusted Sanity 2 1338 April 16, 2012 at 10:31 pm
Last Post: Adjusted Sanity
  "Old" atheism, "New"atheism, atheism 3.0, WTF? leo-rcc 69 38077 February 2, 2010 at 3:29 am
Last Post: tackattack