Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 12:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Converting Atheists with Guilt
Converting Atheists with Guilt
Does anyone know of a person or even a story of a person who has been "guilt tripped" into any religion by a follower, and them sticking to that religion

It's a theory of mine that there are only two ways of someone legitimately joining a religion.

1: If they are born into the religion (grew up with both parents avidly believing/urging child to participate)

2: They are facing a difficult time in their life (e.g. an old man facing death, an abuse victim of any kind)

Furthermore, I believe that religion, before modern society was a kind of psychologist in that it helped people with a wide range of concerns.

This is why I want to know: has anyone ever legitimately joined a religion because of a threat?
RE: Converting Atheists with Guilt
If someone does join because of a threat, I wouldn't call it legitimate, but that shit use to be the main way...or else. I'm sure it still is in some parts of the world.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
It's more that some people get guilt tripped into continuing to go through the motions of religion. I don't think you can convert anyone by guilt, or make them believe by guilt either.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
I've had people try virtually any method you can imagine to convert me back (ex Catholic).

My mother DID try the guilt thing....
Dying to live, living to die.
I've heard of people being "guilt-tripped" into giving the appearance of religion, but never heard of it being something they take to heart.

An example would be the husband made to attend church by a wife who tells him if he does not go, it will be a bad example for the children, or a dying parent who asks an atheist to pray with them, etc.

Various "guilt-trips" are tried on us all the time, in myriad forms, but I can't imagine a way in which that's supposed to actually work as a strategy; rather, it just seems like emotional manipulation born of desperation in a Believer who thinks they must do something to get you to join their social herd (I mean True Faith™ flock) but have no idea how human psychology actually works.
A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

Guilt is associated strongly with Christianity.

"You've displeased god. You must repent, and follow our rules if you want to get into heaven. You want to go to heaven, don't you?"

Of course nobody says what Heaven is like, and why there's all these rules. Eating crackers that are the body of Christ, getting your head dunked under water by a priest, and whatever you do all sex except for procreation is wrong. Thoughts about sex are impure. You have to turn toward god, or you will go to hell for your thoughts. (Apparently God is big on thought crime)

But guilt overall doesn't get conversions. No, it's fear. The idea of being stung by scorpions for years upon years, being in hell for all eternity. When you tie fear and force guilt for being human you get people afraid of god being real, so they serve someone they believe are real because they are told he is. They are told he is all loving and merciful, and they are shown how cruel and horrible he can be. But they fail to see the contradiction. They think god is above humanity, and thus his cruelty is just. As if Cruelty can ever be just. They think they deserve it, and that might just be the saddest thing of all.

Guilt won't convert someone who doesn't really believe, because the fear isn't there. A non-believer no more fears hell than they fear Cthulhu. But someone who is open to belief will be scared of the darkness they're told about. They will feel guilty for being human, and feel they must be fixed. And only one religion will cure that feeling. That guilt. The promise of being forgiven, and a chance to avoid your punishment. No matter the doubts, that fear will sustain the belief of many.
(September 9, 2015 at 10:50 pm)Cecelia Wrote: Guilt is associated strongly with Christianity.

"You've displeased god.  You must repent, and follow our rules if you want to get into heaven.  You want to go to heaven, don't you?"

They are told he is all loving and merciful, and they are shown how cruel and horrible he can be.  But they fail to see the contradiction.

They think god is above humanity, and thus his cruelty is just.  As if Cruelty can ever be just.  They think they deserve it, and that might just be the saddest thing of all.

I wholeheartedly agree:

A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

(September 9, 2015 at 10:02 pm)Jenny A Wrote: It's more that some people get guilt tripped into continuing to go through the motions of religion.  I don't think you can convert anyone by guilt, or make them believe by guilt either.

I disagree, I think a lot of 'born again' christians are a fine example of guilt tripped people, who suddenly feel like they have a lease to start over.
(September 9, 2015 at 9:17 pm)Knight000 Wrote: Does anyone know of a person or even a story of a person who has been "guilt tripped" into any religion by a follower, and them sticking to that religion

I guess it rather happens to make people stay. When I was a child, being brought up as a Catholic, the priests guilt tripped us on any given occasion. If you do this or that, you're going to hell. The most revolting instance I remember, was one of these guys telling us kids, god would take what's most dear to us, if we sin. So, kind of like a Mafia boss threatening the family, if you don't show proper respect.

I can't imagine an atheist being guilt tripped into religion. If you don't believe in possible consequences, you won't feel guilt.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Oh yes, it's a common deathbed thing that theists do.
I saw my atheist dad turn to religion hours before his death, spurred on by my born-again aunt, who, coincidentally is on her deathbed right now.
To be fair, he was doped to the eyeballs on morphine.
Shame, that in that state, he had to be scared to death.
Like Dawkins said, it takes religion to make a good person do a bad thing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2192 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Converting to Atheism? BrimmingIntellectual 263 40373 June 9, 2015 at 8:44 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Couple of clingers in my de-converting Won2blv 40 7817 May 8, 2015 at 7:30 am
Last Post: Aractus
  what to do when thiests take you on a guilt trip? Twisted 14 3199 May 4, 2015 at 1:52 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  So I asked some christians if they would give it their best shot at converting me Lemonvariable72 33 10428 September 6, 2013 at 1:38 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  I'm de-converting Adjusted Sanity 2 1332 April 16, 2012 at 10:31 pm
Last Post: Adjusted Sanity
  Reason for converting Good Christians Ephrium 76 25879 January 21, 2009 at 2:15 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  De-converting the fence-sitters Alan 3 3022 September 28, 2008 at 8:58 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet