Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 6:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do things really need to be limited?
Do things really need to be limited?
So I was recently watching a documentary about black holes, and Michio Kaku basically said that the reason we can't understand black holes is because when you use relativity or quantum physics to calculate their mass and or gravity you end up with infinity, you also end up with infinity when you calculate the size and density of the singularity because its infinitely small.  And apparently infinity is a no no when it comes to math involving bodies in space.  So since I'm nowhere near being a math expert I would just like to know (in terms I can understand  Tongue ) why is it that things like a black holes gravity, density, and mass cannot be infinite?
RE: Do things really need to be limited?
I suppose if the gravity was infinite, it would no longer matter how far away an object is from the black hole, the pull would be an infinitely large force. The only thing stopping the whole of the rest of the universe being swallowed up into it instantly would be the "speed of gravity". No other finite gravities would matter anymore.

However, if there were competing black holes all with infinite gravity, everything would get sucked into the nearest one.

Since none of this has happened, they can't be infinite Tongue

I just made all that up, I'm not qualified to answer. But that is my guess, based on observation. What the theoretical problems are I have no idea. E=m*c*c, it would be an infinite amount of energy. Not cool I guess.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(June 4, 2015 at 1:01 pm)robvalue Wrote: I suppose if the gravity was infinite, it would no longer matter how far away an object is from the black hole, the pull would be an infinitely large force. The only thing stopping the whole of the rest of the universe being swallowed up into it instantly would be the "speed of gravity". No other finite gravities would matter anymore.

However, if there were competing black holes all with infinite gravity, everything would get sucked into the nearest one.

Since none of this has happened, they can't be infinite Tongue

I just made all that up, I'm not qualified to answer. But that is my guess, based on observation. What the theoretical problems are I have no idea. E=m*c*c, it would be an infinite amount of energy. Not cool I guess.

That sort of makes sense, but apparently there is a super massive black hole at the center of most galaxies, and the gravity is strong enough to keep the entire galaxy orbiting it, so even Earth is affected by the black hole at the center of the milky way.  I would also think that the universe expanding is the reason why a blackhole can't just swallow everything.  Black holes also expel beams of energy which I guess is just the matter they swallowed up converted into energy to keep things balanced.
Hmmm, yeah. It's all very interesting and I really don't know enough about it. I wouldn't pay too much attention to what I have to say hehe.

I seem to remember hearing something about the universe stretching out rather than actually expanding...

I've got like 7 jigsaw pieces and no idea how many there are in total or what picture I'm meant to be making.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Zero's and infinities always bring me down . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

[Image: wtf-is-this-nerd-shit182.jpg]
Starting off you few first minutes back be necroposting will get you talked about.

Aloha.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Bad corpse thumper >:c
I completely forgot to pour my infinite wisdom all over this thread back then. How embarrassing.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Well now you have a second chance.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein