Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 12:15 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello everyone!!
Hello everyone!!
Hello atheists, skeptics, agnostics.. & Christians?

I'm just stopping by to debate and discuss religion and I often wonder why people turn to atheism if God can't be proven or disproven. It makes me think why would people turn their back on a God if they are not 100% sure? Even the author of the book, "The God Delusion" admitted that he cannot prove Jesus wasn't God. So, it makes me wonder why would someone take such a dangerous risk with their eternal fate.

I will reply to everyone in a friendly manner, but I will NOT reply to insults, defamatory statements or remarks, or slanderous remarks towards God.

If you want to hold a civilized debate about God, then let's get this place rockin'!
RE: Hello everyone!!
What makes you think someone "turns" to atheism? There is nothing to turn to. Atheism means not believing in gods, that is hardly any effort, just hearing what a religion has to say and either believe it or not.

As for "why take a risk" well if you don't believe in a heaven or hell, threatening someone with the prospect is not helping much does it? And even if your god is real, if I don't believe in him but go through the motions pretending to believe in him, don't you think your God sees right through that lie? No, Pascal's wager makes no sense.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(November 28, 2008 at 12:15 pm)Psalm 23 Wrote: Hello atheists, skeptics, agnostics.. & Christians?

I'm just stopping by to debate and discuss religion and I often wonder why people turn to atheism if God can't be proven or disproven. It makes me think why would people turn their back on a God if they are not 100% sure? Even the author of the book, "The God Delusion" admitted that he cannot prove Jesus wasn't God. So, it makes me wonder why would someone take such a dangerous risk with their eternal fate.

I will reply to everyone in a friendly manner, but I will NOT reply to insults, defamatory statements or remarks, or slanderous remarks towards God.

If you want to hold a civilized debate about God, then let's get this place rockin'!

No risk is involved, when I die, I die. End of.
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
(November 28, 2008 at 12:15 pm)Psalm 23 Wrote: I'm just stopping by to debate and discuss religion and I often wonder why people turn to atheism if God can't be proven or disproven. It makes me think why would people turn their back on a God if they are not 100% sure? Even the author of the book, "The God Delusion" admitted that he cannot prove Jesus wasn't God. So, it makes me wonder why would someone take such a dangerous risk with their eternal fate.
That also raises the question as to which god you should follow?

Why, given all the thousands of gods that man has believed in, should *your* god be the right one? There are some common points in most religions but there are many discrepancies too and you will almost certainly be doing something to bar you from ever lasting life in one of them by following another (if you see what I mean).

It makes much more sense to not follow any god and behave as though this was your only life. If you do find yourself before a god after you die then surely a loving god would say "You didn't believe in me, but you were a decent person so you can come in anyway.".

EDIT:
Hello & welcome by the way!
(November 28, 2008 at 12:15 pm)Psalm 23 Wrote: I will reply to everyone in a friendly manner, but I will NOT reply to insults, defamatory statements or remarks, or slanderous remarks towards God.
I'm afraid you might be in the wrong forum. We blaspheme as much as possible.
(November 28, 2008 at 12:15 pm)Psalm 23 Wrote: Hello atheists, skeptics, agnostics.. & Christians?

Ok, now I turn away from ALL gods simply because of a lack of evidence. I cannot dis-prove god, you cannot prove it. There for, I take the position, dis-belief.

Also, no one would actually intentional go and attack you, but you must understand that your claims (god, hell ect) will be heavily criticised. Your so called god is called an arsewhole all the time. We blasphermy as much as we can, and your claims will be criticised alot. Your also expected to bring evidence if you wish to convert anyone.

Anyway, if you don't mind that, enjoy the forumWink
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
(November 28, 2008 at 12:36 pm)leo-rcc Wrote: What makes you think someone "turns" to atheism? There is nothing to turn to. Atheism means not believing in gods, that is hardly any effort, just hearing what a religion has to say and either believe it or not.
Well, from my past experiences with many atheists, they all have told me, "The Bible made me an atheist." So, I just assumed atheists turned against God after reading the bible.

Quote:As for "why take a risk" well if you don't believe in a heaven or hell, threatening someone with the prospect is not helping much does it? And even if your god is real, if I don't believe in him but go through the motions pretending to believe in him, don't you think your God sees right through that lie? No, Pascal's wager makes no sense.
Well, I guess the same question that was asked to Richard Dawkins, "What if you're wrong?" It would be the same as, "Why take a risk?" So, let me rephrase that. "What if the Jewish God does exist?" Wouldn't that be the same as "why take a risk?"

As a Christian, I do not threaten people with Hell. Believers or Non-Believers. I'm not the judge of mankind.

I think Pascal's wager makes perfectly good sense."If I'm wrong I win, If your wrong, you will know about it forever, and ever!!"

I don't see what's the big deal in believing ancient man spoke to a higher authority. Makes logical sense if you think about it. This higher authority was speaking to mankind to set the laws of the western civilization. As you know, the 10 Commandments are the moral laws of the Western World.

The Pagans were slaughtering their own children in the name of their gods.. meanwhile The LORD was preaching to Moses, "Do not Kill, Do not put other gods before me, and do not commit adultery..etc,etc,etc.."

Peace
(November 28, 2008 at 1:40 pm)Ace Wrote: Ok, now I turn away from ALL gods simply because of a lack of evidence. I cannot dis-prove god, you cannot prove it. There for, I take the position, dis-belief.
I don't think "Lack of evidence" is such a solid argument. I mean, has Science created a machine that can explore the entire Universe simultaneously? If not, then how are you 100% sure God is not among us? The answer is simple. You can't. Lack of Evidence only works if you have explored every single option. Since that cannot be completed. You are living a dangerous risk.

Quote:Also, no one would actually intentional go and attack you, but you must understand that your claims (god, hell ect) will be heavily criticised. Your so called god is called an arsewhole all the time. We blasphermy as much as we can, and your claims will be criticised alot. Your also expected to bring evidence if you wish to convert anyone.
Well, I hope no one would attack me. I treat people as they treat me. I think religious discussion can be a good thing if it's not thrown into each other's faces like a food fight. That's for immature atheists and christians.

Quote:Anyway, if you don't mind that, enjoy the forumWink
Thanks, I will enjoy my stay.
(November 28, 2008 at 1:33 pm)Tiberius Wrote:
(November 28, 2008 at 12:15 pm)Psalm 23 Wrote: I will reply to everyone in a friendly manner, but I will NOT reply to insults, defamatory statements or remarks, or slanderous remarks towards God.
I'm afraid you might be in the wrong forum. We blaspheme as much as possible.
Ha! Not to sound rude or ignorant towards you, but how can you blasphemy something, or someone that doesn't exist? Huh
Quote:Well, from my past experiences with many atheists, they all have told me, "The Bible made me an atheist." So, I just assumed atheists turned against God after reading the bible.

You are confusing atheism with anti-theism. I am not turning against anything, I just don't believe such a thing as a god exists. Certainly not the biblical one.

Just rewording it doesn't make any more or less sense than the original wager.

And then there is this:
Quote:As a Christian, I do not threaten people with Hell. Believers or Non-Believers. I'm not the judge of mankind.

But apparently your religion and the wager does:
Quote:I think Pascal's wager makes perfectly good sense."If I'm wrong I win, If your wrong, you will know about it forever, and ever!!"

And I do not believe for a second moral laws are passed on from any deity. Morality is in everyone of us that wants to partake into a society, no god is needed for that.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(November 28, 2008 at 1:20 pm)allan175 Wrote: That also raises the question as to which god you should follow?
I believe in following the God that I was raised to believe in and become to know. But don't think for a second that I was raised in a religious family. We never prayed, nor went to Church. We just simply believed and that was it.

Quote:Why, given all the thousands of gods that man has believed in, should *your* god be the right one? There are some common points in most religions but there are many discrepancies too and you will almost certainly be doing something to bar you from ever lasting life in one of them by following another (if you see what I mean).
Honestly? I don't know if the Christian God is the right one, but for the time being.. it feels like the right one. Who's to know if I will convert to Islam in 10 years? I cannot foresee the future. If I could foresee the future, that would make me a Prophet. And I'm far from a Prophet. Big Grin

Quote:It makes much more sense to not follow any god and behave as though this was your only life. If you do find yourself before a god after you die then surely a loving god would say "You didn't believe in me, but you were a decent person so you can come in anyway."
We don't know for sure who God will throw into Hell or not. Many Christians have spread evilness towards atheism, and how some of them may be the agents of the Devil in disguise trying to evaporate God from the world. So, these Christians get angry, and what better way to upset an unbeliever than by telling them they are going to Hell and burning forever, and ever!!!

Quote:EDIT:Hello & welcome by the way!
Thank You! This place seems pretty cool so far.
(November 28, 2008 at 2:47 pm)leo-rcc Wrote: You are confusing atheism with anti-theism. I am not turning against anything, I just don't believe such a thing as a god exists. Certainly not the biblical one.
anti-theism? Hmmm.. maybe you're right. However, you say, "Not the Biblical one," that is an unsure statement. No human mind on Planet Earth is capable of knowing if the Bible God exists or not. That is just a pure common fact of life. Trust me, I would love to prove God exists to you... Just as much as you would love to disprove God. Either way, no one wins. That is really everything in a nutshell.

Quote:Just rewording it doesn't make any more or less sense than the original wager.
No, but it means the same..

Quote:But apparently your religion and the wager does:
I think Pascal's wager makes perfectly good sense."If I'm wrong I win, If your wrong, you will know about it forever, and ever!!"
I certainly wouldn't call Pacal's wager a judgement. It's more like a concern.

Quote:And I do not believe for a second moral laws are passed on from any deity. Morality is in everyone of us that wants to partake into a society, no god is needed for that.
I'm not so sure. If you can provide evidence of ancient scripture with the same moral laws, then I would love to see them.

Hello, and welcome, Psalm 23. I can't speak for anyone else but from my observations atheist abandon the idea of a Creator God as well as worship of any gods due to the simple fact that they don't buy into it. They have a great deal of reason for doing so. They tend to be science minded and political with a strong social conscience and apostate religion seem to be opposed to those things. Ultimately, I think, it is really all about the gross misrepresentation of God by religious maddness from the past that has literally pushed God out of the minds of most people both Xian and Atheist.

I don't know about the author of The God Delission not being able to prove Jesus wasn't God but I can.

Anyway, welcome and I hope we can have some good discussions, but I tend to shy away from discussions that come from a sort of religious defense. I got tired of debating Xian dogma ages ago. I prefer to concentrate on the Bible.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Hello, everyone Rolls 21 1383 June 27, 2020 at 9:31 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Hello Everyone! Chicken 33 2168 December 25, 2018 at 10:57 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  Hello Everyone :) , { Just an ape trying to socialize } Enlightened Ape 31 5632 April 24, 2018 at 1:22 pm
Last Post: Enlightened Ape
Wink Hello Everyone! rskovride 15 1883 February 21, 2018 at 5:45 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Hello Everyone Shai Hulud 32 7779 May 14, 2017 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: Shai Hulud
  Hello Everyone! Driggs 22 2605 April 12, 2017 at 10:29 pm
Last Post: c172
  Hello everyone account_inactive 25 3818 April 12, 2017 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Hello Everyone! Flavius 9 1223 March 30, 2017 at 6:54 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  Hello everyone Yoo 11 2377 August 29, 2016 at 12:11 pm