Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 6:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ask a Automotive Brake Engineer
Ask a Automotive Brake Engineer
Just a post to answer any Braking systems questions or general automotive industry questions.
I have a lot of experience in Sensors and their manufacture as well.
Find the cure for Fundementia!
RE: Ask a Automotive Brake Engineer
Tommy Boy, that you?  Big Grin
Why did the engineers that created the tire pressure monitoring system hardware make it battery operated?
It seems that plenty of energy could have been siphoned from the turning wheel and the system wouldn't reliably fail in about 5 years.

I have my theory, it involves them being evil puppets of MBAs.
So how, exactly, does God know that She's NOT a brain in a vat? Huh
Is it true that BRAKES only STOP you from having fun?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(June 8, 2015 at 7:40 pm)JuliaL Wrote: Why did the engineers that created the tire pressure monitoring system hardware make it battery operated?
It seems that plenty of energy could have been siphoned from the turning wheel and the system wouldn't reliably fail in about 5 years.

I have my theory, it involves them being evil puppets of MBAs.

Price of manufacture. I've heard of newer TPM's that power off the Rotor or knuckle magnetism, but I've not seen one yet.
(June 8, 2015 at 8:04 pm)ignoramus Wrote: Is it true that BRAKES only STOP you from having fun?

Only if you work here at my plant. We soulless, lifeless engineers are pathetically boring.
(June 8, 2015 at 6:52 pm)Cato Wrote: Tommy Boy, that you?  Big Grin

That's NOT funny!
I worked for a wholesale parts distributer. Can you tell me what brand of pads you like and if cost equals performance?
[Image: dc52deee8e6b07186c04ff66a45fd204.jpg]
Are the ceramic pads really the pad to end all pads?
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
(June 9, 2015 at 12:11 am)IATIA Wrote: Are the ceramic pads really the pad to end all pads?

"Cereamic" pads are the industry joke. There is no such thing in the normal sense of fired ceramics. When you make the pads harder than the rotor, it is the rotor that wears away and becomes disposable, and that is dangerous because a rotor does not have any wear indicators as a pad does.

All modern friction materials are cooked/ glued onto the backing plate, never fired inside a kiln.

The claimed "benefits" usually given for "ceramic" (air quotes!) brake pads are low dust formation and extended wear, but both of these are HUGELY related to wheel & rotor wabble known as LRO (Lateral Run Out) If you match your axle and rotor surface to less than 5 microns variation while you rotate the rotor you will not experience brake dust and your brake pad lining will most often out last your vehicle.

Brake shops won't do this because they loose repeat customers and OEM manufacturers don't do it because it takes to much manufacturing time.