Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 1:01 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The "moral" of Game of Thrones
The "moral" of Game of Thrones
Yes, just what we need, another Game of Thrones thread, right?

I've seen, on other forums I lurk but don't post in, people posit the point of A Song of Fir and Ice, aka Game of Thrones.  Some say it's about human sacrifice, others say it's about the little guys getting trampled on by those in power, and other theories.

What I think the entire series is about, what the POINT GRRM is trying to make, is that morals are subjective.

To the characters, the Red wedding was horrifying, of course.  But why, specifically, was it morally objectionable to other noble families?  Because we all know that a coup where you murder all of your rivals, including their children, can be looked upon with favor (Baratheon and Lannister teaming up to murder Targaryen adults and babies alike).

The Red wedding caused other houses to look upon the Frey's and the Bolton's with distaste and lost honor (and no longer to be trusted) because they had accepted the Starks into their home with the bread and salt deal.  In this world, borrowed from a real medieval tradition, the Frey's had given the Starks a promise of protection as if they were family, while under their roof.  So it wasn't stabbing a pregnant woman or beheading your rival and sewing his wolf's head onto his body that other people in that universe found objectionable, it was that they did it while under this protection.

The same goes with a lot of things.  What was morally wrong with Stanis killing Renly?  If they had met on the field of combat and Stannis had slit Renly's throat there, even Brienne would have only mourned.  By using blood magic to assassinate him, his moral became more questionable.
And yet Dany uses blood magic to bring her dragons to life, burning the witch (a holocaust survivor, really), who had caused the death of her husband (one of the holocaust perpetrators), and yet the people of this world ascribe her no negative moral points for this act.

Jamie killed the king he was sworn to protect.  The fact that this king was a sociopathic, murdering monster who desperately needed killing is lost on almost ALL the characters on the story, and the only relevant fact to them is that Jamie broke an oath and killed the king he'd sworn to protect.  For this he is considered of the lowest moral character by most of the inhabitants of Westeros.  Yes we, the shows viewers, with our more modern sensibility, find him a sympathetic character for this act.

Tyrion killed his father, and even though he had a slew of good reasons to do so, is now a kinslayer and also considered of the lowest moral character by inhabitants of the story universe. Again though, the readers sympathize.

Jamie and his sister are having an incestuous relationship. Even in this universe, where gods are real and have real power, that act is condemned now but was accepted 100 years ago in royalty.  

So again, I think the biggest point of the stories is that morals are subjective.  What we find morally repulsive, the next person may find justified.

Almost every character is shades of grey.  Why do some readers/watchers hate Cersie while others find her a sympathetic character?  The debates these stories spark are important, and I think that is why they are so great and so relevant today.

Anyway....Just some thoughts.  
What do you think the point is, or is there one, or do you care? 
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
RE: The "moral" of Game of Thrones
I'd say the point is precisely that there is none. We just observe what people do, there is no artificial message that the auther wants to encode into this. In any case, any message I would get from it could also be obtained by looking at the real world...
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Bad shit happens all the time, and to everyone. Rich, poor, fat, thin, good, evil. Life is arbitrary.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
To quote "House", "Everybody Dies."
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
Martin is a fan of history and one thing that becomes apparent when you read historical events is how often the 'good' guys don't win. That is the exact opposite message that Hollywood would have us believe. In most movies, the good guy is honorable and eventually overcomes all obstacles. In Game of Thrones a character can do everything that the viewer believes is right and still die or have something terrible happen to them.

Martin said that his stories are about struggle and you can see that in how much hell certain characters have to overcome. Also, Martin seems to understand that most people, even those who do horrible things, believe that they are good. I don't think that any of his characters believe that they are bad so when you read a chapter from their point of view you get to see their reasoning for their actions. I do think that the morals of Game of Thrones are subjective, for the most part. Martin is very good at creating complex characters who are neither good nor bad or if they are bad, also do good things.
Don't create endless characters and story lines for your book(s) if you can't make it to the end. Man up and write the next book, bub.
He's already written most of it. It is set to release next spring, but it had a release date of this fall this time last year... soooooo......
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(June 11, 2015 at 8:08 pm)Nope Wrote: Martin is a fan of history and one thing that becomes apparent when you read historical events is how often the 'good' guys don't win. That is the exact opposite message that Hollywood would have us believe. In most movies, the good guy is honorable and eventually overcomes all obstacles.  In Game of Thrones a character can do everything that the viewer believes is right and still die or have something terrible happen to them.

Martin said that his stories are about struggle and you can see that in how much hell certain characters have to overcome. Also, Martin seems to understand that most people, even those who do horrible things, believe that they are good. I don't think that any of his characters believe that they are bad so when you read a chapter from their point of view you get to see their reasoning for their actions.  I do think that the morals of Game of Thrones are subjective, for the most part. Martin is very good at creating complex characters who are neither good nor bad or if they are bad, also do good things.

This. I think Hollywood (traditionally anyway) always has too much of a clear-cut image. We have the good guy, who we know is good and he knows it. Then we have the bad guy, who has some simple over-simplified goal, and has no apparent weaknesses (until the end) or justification for doing bad things. It's never fully fleshed out.

I feel like in Game of Thrones you have characters who all have different agendas, and are more three-dimensional in that they will do either good or bad things as long as it will advance their agenda. I'd say the only truly "evil" characters in thrones are the white walkers, since their entire existence just seems to be killing with no apparent reason. Joffrey could easily be described as "evil", but I think "selfish corrupted brat" works better.

I'd agree with what some others have said though, the prevailing theme seems to be that life isn't fair, and that being good won't necessarily make you win.
"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the road, and then getting hit by an airplane"  - sarcasm_only

"Ironically like the nativist far-Right, which despises multiculturalism, but benefits from its ideas of difference to scapegoat the other and to promote its own white identity politics; these postmodernists, leftists, feminists and liberals also use multiculturalism, to side with the oppressor, by demanding respect and tolerance for oppression characterised as 'difference', no matter how intolerable."
- Maryam Namazie

So, then, can he possibly end it with Dany succeeding? Jon Snow succeeding? Bran warging the shit out of some dragons?

If he is intent on overturning the "good guys always win" trope, then he surely can't have the Targaryens prosper.

Not sure though, because Dany has had her ruthless moments too. Whether she's a hero or a villain at this point depends, on whether you're a former slave or whether you're the Lannisters and the Baratheons, it's all perspective. That's another thing about Thrones, there are so many central characters and narratives, who are at conflict with eachother, that pretty much everyone is both a hero and a villain at the same time. It's almost impossible not to be both in their world. It's more complex than "us vs them", it's every man for himself (and maybe a couple close friends, but can't trust anyone too much), and everyone has enemies. It's dynamic as well, people who were friends before have become enemies and vice versa.

I think in this sense it's so realistic, because real life is rarely the simplified "us vs them" "good vs evil" trope that dominates popular culture
"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the road, and then getting hit by an airplane"  - sarcasm_only

"Ironically like the nativist far-Right, which despises multiculturalism, but benefits from its ideas of difference to scapegoat the other and to promote its own white identity politics; these postmodernists, leftists, feminists and liberals also use multiculturalism, to side with the oppressor, by demanding respect and tolerance for oppression characterised as 'difference', no matter how intolerable."
- Maryam Namazie

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video Game of Thrones Season 7 Discussion [SPOILERS WITHIN] SteelCurtain 357 66097 January 28, 2018 at 9:37 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Game of Thrones Season 7 trailer, "The Long Walk" Aegon 3 922 March 30, 2017 at 3:06 pm
Last Post: FatAndFaithless
  Game of Thrones Season 6 Discussion [SPOILERS WITHIN] SteelCurtain 765 54265 August 15, 2016 at 4:45 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Game of Thrones Season 5 Discussion [SPOILERS WITHIN] SteelCurtain 588 87914 May 13, 2016 at 1:48 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Coldplay's Game of Thrones, The musical. ignoramus 1 784 March 4, 2016 at 5:46 am
  Game of Thrones - Reference pocaracas 7 4109 April 5, 2015 at 12:38 pm
  Game of Thrones Season 5 Trailer Released FatAndFaithless 30 4110 March 11, 2015 at 10:26 pm
  game of thrones vaginahouse 54 10278 February 23, 2015 at 12:53 pm
Last Post: FatAndFaithless
  Second Game of thrones treailer Jacob(smooth) 12 2913 February 18, 2014 at 7:30 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
  Game of thrones season 4 Jacob(smooth) 25 3979 January 18, 2014 at 4:36 pm
Last Post: ElleBelle