Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:15 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
malware or virus (or both)
malware or virus (or both)
I have something on my pc it's making everything run slow, don't know if it's malware a virus or if the two are mutually exclusive or what.

Basically my situation is that everything is running slow and jittery, and when I close down my pc I see a flash of a website that I didn't even have up, like I'll close all internet explorer windows, then shut down, but I'll still see windows of internet explorer or something closing down when it shuts down, it's such a quick flash I can't see what it is that's closing down.

Anyone able to explain what this might be?  Or the difference between malware and viruses?
I'm on youtube now looking at videos on how to get rid of whatever it is, I just downloaded malwarebites, it's called something like that.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

RE: malware or virus (or both)
(June 12, 2015 at 9:39 am)paulpablo Wrote: Anyone able to explain what this might be?  Or the difference between malware and viruses?

Malware is a broad category of malicious software:  viruses, trojans, adware, spyware and such.  A virus is simply self-replicating malware.

The behavior you describe is indicative of malware.
Run a malware check. You do have an antivirus app installed, I hope.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
I use Malwarebytes to handle malware, as well as having Ad-Aware. Also try some disk cleanup and defragment afterwards.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

When can we start taking hackers out back and disemboweling them ??
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Have you tried looking at the task manager and seeing what programmes you have running.

I used this method to identify and delete a worrisome piece of malware a while ago.

My anti virus and mal ware programme was saying everything was good when it obviously wasn't.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(June 12, 2015 at 11:03 am)downbeatplumb Wrote: Have you tried looking at the task manager and seeing what programmes you have running.

I used this method to identify and delete a worrisome piece of malware a while ago.

My anti virus and mal ware programme was saying everything was good when it obviously wasn't.

I have but it's difficult for me to know which processes are normal and which aren't.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

(June 12, 2015 at 1:00 pm)paulpablo Wrote:
(June 12, 2015 at 11:03 am)downbeatplumb Wrote: Have you tried looking at the task manager and seeing what programmes you have running.

I have but it's difficult for me to know which processes are normal and which aren't.

Try googling the issue and see if any suggested problem programmes appear in your tasks.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

If you open Task Manager and make it full screen you can expand the columns for "Image name" and "Description."

Any descriptions which don't seem related to a program you have installed - or which have no description - can then be checked on Google just by putting the name of the process into the search box.

For instance, I just tried the process tv_w32 which I spotted.  It reports that it is part of Team Viewer, which is installed.
(June 12, 2015 at 1:00 pm)paulpablo Wrote:

If it comes to this - start task manager, click the "Processes" tab, click "Show processes from all users".  Any process in that list that you aren't aware of what it is, google it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Windows defender has, once again, incorrectly identified my program as malware! FlatAssembler 36 1003 February 22, 2024 at 9:29 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Either the most benign or the most insidious virus I've ever come across... Rev. Rye 2 1384 February 2, 2014 at 12:41 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Protection From Malware (Windows Users) Love 19 6293 April 28, 2013 at 6:58 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
  Best anti-virus/firewall Darwinian 13 3308 November 13, 2011 at 1:29 pm
Last Post: Koldaramor
Exclamation "Cisco's latest Global Threat Report found almost 300,000 unique instances of malware Judas BentHer 10 5500 August 3, 2011 at 4:52 pm
Last Post: HeyItsZeus
  Google Search Detects Malware Tiberius 0 1489 July 28, 2011 at 8:07 pm
Last Post: Tiberius