Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 8:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Cisco's latest Global Threat Report found almost 300,000 unique instances of malware
Exclamation 
"Cisco's latest Global Threat Report found almost 300,000 unique instances of malware
[Image: 620-unique-web-malware.jpg]
Cisco: Unique malware multiplying in 2011 (Full August 2, 2011 Digital Trends Article)

That is just so fucked up! Angry
"In life you can never be too kind or too fair; everyone you meet is carrying a heavy load. When you go through your day expressing kindness and courtesy to all you meet, you leave behind a feeling of warmth and good cheer, and you help alleviate the burdens everyone is struggling with."
Brian Tracy
RE: "Cisco's latest Global Threat Report found almost 300,000 unique instances of malware
Ha. Those are just the ones that are easy to detect. The Zeus botnet alone is thought to contain over 3.5 million PCs worldwide.

You all can thank a combination of Microsoft & people that just don't care about things until they directly affect them for this mess.
"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal
RE: "Cisco's latest Global Threat Report found almost 300,000 unique instances of malware
(August 3, 2011 at 12:04 pm)Jaysyn Wrote: You all can thank a combination of Microsoft & people that just don't care about things until they directly affect them for this mess.

Microsoft is responsible for the spread of malware how? I would blame, for example, the people writing it and the other people paying for its services.
"...of which 299,999 were confirmed to be Cisco's unique malware. The reamining instance of unique malware being attributed to one Janet Billings, a lonely federal employee from Columbus Ohio, who crippled our defense network in June of 2011, by clicking on a link she mistakenly believed was from a dating site (of the sort she frequently browsed at work) while attempting to join a G+ hangout from a DOD computer. The source of this email has not been released, and the DOD has declined to comment. Gmail has redoubled it's login advertising campaign, and promised greater security with regards to attachments in a future release"- If They Can Write News So Can I-August 2011.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 3, 2011 at 12:18 pm)edk141 Wrote:
(August 3, 2011 at 12:04 pm)Jaysyn Wrote: You all can thank a combination of Microsoft & people that just don't care about things until they directly affect them for this mess.

Microsoft is responsible for the spread of malware how? I would blame, for example, the people writing it and the other people paying for its services.

That's almost like saying "Pintos are perfectly safe, it's not Ford's fault people keep rear-ending them!"

Microsoft has a large share of the blame due to the company ignoring computer security practices that had been in place for years prior to the design of Windows or Internet Explorer. Their software engineering laxity has enabled malware to flourish & they are just now starting to really care because it is finally hitting the bottom line in their Windows division.

You don't see this level of malware from OSX, BSD or Linux, because they a.) have a smaller market share (about 11% together) b.) architecturally, they are not easy targets.
"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal
(August 3, 2011 at 1:07 pm)Jaysyn Wrote: That's almost like saying "Pintos are perfectly safe, it's not Ford's fault people keep rear-ending them!"

Microsoft has a large share of the blame due to the company ignoring computer security practices that had been in place for years prior to the design of Windows or Internet Explorer. Their software engineering laxity has enabled malware to flourish & they are just now starting to really care because it is finally hitting the bottom line in their Windows division.

You don't see this level of malware from OSX, BSD or Linux, because they a.) have a smaller market share (about 11% together) b.) architecturally, they are not easy targets.

Architecturally? Can't disagree there, although there it is far from impossible to attack a Unixy OS. (a) however I think you can hardly blame Microsoft for - it's not as if they would deliberately try to give market share to their competitors.

Also - it's not like saying that at all. I don't have any trouble with malware on my Windows computers, and the people I meet who do tend to be the ones who are just plain stupid. OSX and most Linuxes both have a centrally managed app repository, which means there's less downloading of stuff. I think it's more like someone saying "Bridges are perfectly safe, it's not our fault people keep jumping off them", and you arguing that it's the maker of the bridge's fault for not putting up a suicide net.
(August 3, 2011 at 1:37 pm)edk141 Wrote: Architecturally? Can't disagree there, although there it is far from impossible to attack a Unixy OS. (a) however I think you can hardly blame Microsoft for - it's not as if they would deliberately try to give market share to their competitors.

Yes, you most assuredly can rest some of the blame on MS. They made a conscious decision to make the OS "easy" & "backwards compatible" instead of "secure". This isn't me just making things up about MS, this is a known fact in the computer security industry. You saying it's *only* the black hat's fault when MS enabled 95% of the entire malware ecosystem is laughable.

(August 3, 2011 at 1:37 pm)edk141 Wrote: Also - it's not like saying that at all. I don't have any trouble with malware on my Windows computers...

I don't have any malware issues with my 6 Windows PCs either. Notice however that the plural of anecdote isn't data.
(August 3, 2011 at 2:10 pm)Jaysyn Wrote:
(August 3, 2011 at 1:37 pm)edk141 Wrote: Architecturally? Can't disagree there, although there it is far from impossible to attack a Unixy OS. (a) however I think you can hardly blame Microsoft for - it's not as if they would deliberately try to give market share to their competitors.

Yes, you most assuredly can rest some of the blame on MS. They made a conscious decision to make the OS "easy" & "backwards compatible" instead of "secure". This isn't me just making things up about MS, this is a known fact in the computer security industry. You saying it's *only* the black hat's fault when MS enabled 95% of the entire malware ecosystem is laughable.

(August 3, 2011 at 1:37 pm)edk141 Wrote: Also - it's not like saying that at all. I don't have any trouble with malware on my Windows computers...

I don't have any malware issues with my 6 Windows PCs either. Notice however that the plural of anecdote isn't data.

If you read your own post (a) is Microsoft having the majority of market share. You seriously can't blame them for having a popular OS (you can, but it would be stupid)

MS enabled 95% of the entire malware ecosystem? You saying malware wouldn't exist if Windows didn't is what's laughable. Malware writers adapted to Windows because it was there. The first malware wasn't for Windows, the last won't be, and the hundreds of people paid to write malware would write it for other platforms if Windows wasn't available.
(August 3, 2011 at 2:34 pm)edk141 Wrote: MS enabled 95% of the entire malware ecosystem? You saying malware wouldn't exist if Windows didn't is what's laughable.

I love it when people put words in my mouth, usually means they don't have a very good argument.

What I will say is that if MS had used better security practices while designing Windows & IE, you wouldn't see botnet numbers like this.

But feel free to keep on thinking whatever it is you are thinking is true. Big Grin
(August 3, 2011 at 2:46 pm)Jaysyn Wrote:
(August 3, 2011 at 2:34 pm)edk141 Wrote: MS enabled 95% of the entire malware ecosystem? You saying malware wouldn't exist if Windows didn't is what's laughable.

I love it when people put words in my mouth, usually means they don't have a very good argument.

What I will say is that if MS had used better security practices while designing Windows & IE, you wouldn't see botnet numbers like this.

But feel free to keep on thinking whatever it is you are thinking is true. Big Grin

You just did say that - to rephrase, what you said in the previous sentence is laughable. Malware writers write for Windows because it is available, not because it's not possible to write malware for other systems. We'd just see similar numbers of botnets running on other platforms.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Windows defender has, once again, incorrectly identified my program as malware! FlatAssembler 36 718 February 22, 2024 at 9:29 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Solar System simulation: my latest web app. WinterHold 8 983 February 7, 2020 at 2:49 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  [Serious] Multiple Sclerosis Map: my latest web project WinterHold 22 2916 October 4, 2019 at 10:02 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  Beware Latest AMD Catalyst Driver AFTT47 13 5371 July 14, 2015 at 5:07 pm
Last Post: rado84
  malware or virus (or both) paulpablo 23 3353 June 14, 2015 at 4:23 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Protection From Malware (Windows Users) Love 19 6197 April 28, 2013 at 6:58 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
  Analysis of 400,000+ Stolen Yahoo! Passwords Tiberius 4 1884 July 16, 2012 at 11:56 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Google Search Detects Malware Tiberius 0 1487 July 28, 2011 at 8:07 pm
Last Post: Tiberius