Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 7:59 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hello everybody !
hello everybody !
Hi guys.

It's been a week since I discovered this forum and I find it really interesting so I'll introduce myself. I haven't much to say except I'm a french atheist which means to me that I don't believe in God, but I don't know if somewhat there is something that we could call a superior entity whose existence is beyond our understanding. Or maybe the universe, everything, is god.

There's only one thing I know: the idea of a personal God (as in the 3 main monotheistic religions) sounds ridiculous to me.

By the way, I've been raised in a catholic culture ( only my mother is catholic), I've been through catechism, I'm baptized and confirmed Angel but I never bought the whole thing.
RE: hello everybody !
(November 28, 2008 at 9:02 pm)AtheistPhil Wrote: Hi guys.

It's been a week since I discovered this forum and I find it really interesting so I'll introduce myself. I haven't much to say except I'm a french atheist which means to me that I don't believe in God, but I don't know if somewhat there is something that we could call a superior entity whose existence is beyond our understanding. Or maybe the universe, everything, is god.

There's only one thing I know: the idea of a personal God (as in the 3 main monotheistic religions) sounds ridiculous to me.

By the way, I've been raised in a catholic culture ( only my mother is catholic), I've been through catechism, I'm baptized and confirmed Angel but I never bought the whole thing.
Welcome! May you find more truth. Have a good time here Phil.
Oh and by the way Phil, in case you interested, I'm from the UK and I was christened, but I didn't have a religious upbringing. I guess its like how I celebrate Christmas but I'm not religious. Of course I don't want to have been christened. Its nonsense. But as its meaningless anyway, who cares?
(November 28, 2008 at 9:02 pm)AtheistPhil Wrote: Hi guys.

Well . . . I thought you were here before I was, Phil, but welcome! Big Grin
Welcome! I, like yourself, escaped the clutches of religion Big Grin
Welcome to the forum, I hope you enjoy your stay.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Welcome aboard phil!
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
Hey and welcome to the forum. =)
Hoi Zaeme.
Welcome Phil. No family ties with Phil Plait I reckon?
"I'm like a rabbit suddenly trapped, in the blinding headlights of vacuous crap" - Tim Minchin in "Storm"
Christianity is perfect bullshit, christians are not - Purple Rabbit, honouring CS Lewis
Faith is illogical - fr0d0
Welcome to the forum.

Kyu
Welcome, Phil.
Have a great time on the forum. Smile
dog·ma
n. pl. dog·mas or dog·ma·ta (-mə-tə)
1. A doctrine or a corpus of doctrines relating to matters such as morality and faith, set forth in an authoritative manner by a church.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hi everybody! New here (She/It) requiredfield 22 487 April 2, 2024 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Hi everybody Jasper 7 717 May 26, 2023 at 2:06 am
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  Hello Everybody My Name Is JAG JAG 15 2049 October 2, 2020 at 8:37 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Hi, everybody Phoque 12 873 January 9, 2019 at 9:11 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  Hello everybody! just came out as an atheist. JeffY 14 2612 April 24, 2017 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Hey everybody Llamabagel 19 2159 December 3, 2014 at 7:42 pm
Last Post: Llamabagel
  Hello Everybody! Cosmic Perspective 16 3055 May 19, 2013 at 3:29 am
Last Post: Aractus
Thumbs Up Hi everybody Supermanbeer 8 1252 November 30, 2012 at 6:18 pm
Last Post: Darkstar
  Hello Everybody! Sami_23 26 5543 August 11, 2012 at 11:48 pm
Last Post: jonb
  Hello everybody! Geronimo 4 1107 July 20, 2012 at 10:09 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda