Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 8:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is/are your God(s)?
What is/are your God(s)?
I’m new to this forum and primarily a lurker/voyeur. I’m not proficient at communicating in writing so this may not exactly get my point/idea across.

Quick background, 58 years old, conservative, atheist, not tied to any particular political position (politics on a case by case basis). Escaped the religious programming at age 13.  Employment has been in healthcare and healthcare fraud prevention. Retired at age 54.

Back to the question, what is/are your God(s)? I don’t really want to hear from the deists, I know all I care to about that delusion.

Here is why I ask. Over the years I have had many motivating factors and influences in my life including money (but not greed), security, mind altering chemicals (product of the 60’s and 70’s), sex, …, and in certain aspects they were my Gods, they motivated me and affected my behavior. I could name more but I want to get this going.

I’d like to hear from the non deists/non theists. What are the motivating/driving forces in your existence? What factors direct the majority of your behavior or directs your life? Is it money, security, pleasure, drugs, sex, technology, society, altruism…..? For some of you are you your own God (what’s best is what’s best for you mind set)?

Looking forward to responses and thought provoking lurking
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
RE: What is/are your God(s)?
video games Smile
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Hiya, nice to hear from you Smile

My motivations are to help others where I can, try to improve quality of life for people and animals, minimise the harm I do and to try and enjoy myself.

No gods.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Are you being serious? I refuse to call some random aspects of my life which I happen to deem important "Gods". That only provides fodder for the funny apologists who are all too eager to point out that atheists are no better than they because the just have different Gods. The name God comes with so much nonsensical baggage that I im strongly in favor of not using it for anything but objects of religious faith.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Regarding the question in the title of your thread, that is a question for psychology to answer.

Regarding what are the motivating factors in my life, I have clues but don't care to comment.
I agree with Alex, nothing in my life is a god, the things that are important to me, are what they are and do what they do.
Frequent, metronomic, flawless, powerful, intense, expertly-delivered, finely tuned masturbation.
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
..."gods"?
Money and curiosity may be motivating factors but that doesn't imply devotion to Lakshmi or Ganesh...
Quote:I don't understand why you'd come to a discussion forum, and then proceed to reap from visibility any voice that disagrees with you. If you're going to do that, why not just sit in front of a mirror and pat yourself on the back continuously?
-Esquilax

Evolution - Adapt or be eaten.
(June 21, 2015 at 11:57 am)Iroscato Wrote: Frequent, metronomic, flawless, powerful, intense, expertly-delivered, finely tuned masturbation.

So I guess you have one of these standing on your bedside table? What's your favourite setting?

[Image: 103186.jpg]
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Please refer to my avatar