Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 2:41 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Deprogramming" Resources for Catholics
"Deprogramming" Resources for Catholics
I was never a believer, but unfortunately my boyfreind is a former Catholic hence why I take a rather special interest in the Catholics that show up here.

While he's mostly over it every now and then he'll go on one of these really weird guilt trips, and I usually have to explain away whatever his problem was; the last one for instance was some bitch he used to know from his church he ran into at one of the schools he does sports coaching in claiming homosexuality is the same as pedophilia.

Yeah, we could do her for harassment and I could explain it away but honestly I'm sick of having to keep explaining my/his position and smooth out this "God is gonna get me for der gay" fears that seem to pop up whenever he runs into anything that reminds him of Catholicism. Does anyone know of any good deprogramming books/pages/videos that might be especially suited for Catholics? It would help if they weren't especially complicated, sweet as he is he is pretty thick (I don't feel bad saying that, even he admits he is) and as most of the highbrow theology goes right over his head so will any philosophical argument that's too complicated.

I have to ask, I can't really relate to this mentality at all. I can pick up the book of Mormon and just laugh at what is inside, he'd start to worry that there was actually something to it. Any tips  are valued, I'm at a bit of a loss.
RE: "Deprogramming" Resources for Catholics
Have him watch this:

Quote:

It isn't specifically for catholics.  It works equally well for any of the I-Know-Something-You-Don't-Know assholes.
The God Delusion, maybe?

It will fade with time. Take it from an ex catholic. It's hard to overcome, but eventually he will.

Maybe one day I will too Dodgy
Just get yourself a nice, big crucifix and wear it prominently at all times...I mean -all- times.  It will be desensitizing, promise.  Wink
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(June 21, 2015 at 1:01 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Have him watch this:

Quote:

It isn't specifically for catholics.  It works equally well for any of the I-Know-Something-You-Don't-Know assholes.

Big Grin  Excellent! Humorous, an easy comparison to observe, this sort of thing is perfect. Thanks Min!

(June 21, 2015 at 1:08 pm)Neimenovic Wrote: The God Delusion, maybe?

It will fade with time. Take it from an ex catholic. It's hard to overcome, but eventually he will.

Maybe one day I will too Dodgy

Is it really that clingy? I know a couple of ex Catholics personally and they seem to agree there's something that lingers.

As for the God Delusion...Might be worth a go, not really a fan of New Athiest works myself since I think their aggressive style tends to rile believers more than persuade them but it's readable enough...Thanks!

(June 21, 2015 at 1:17 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Just get yourself a nice, big crucifix and wear it prominently at all times...I mean -all- times.  It will be desensitizing, promise.  Wink

Demon I wonder how much a cassock costs these days...I mean sexy nuns are a thing right? Tongue
As far as books go, that won't "rile" believers. More importantly....books that are -readable-...lol

Try Karen Armstrong.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_History_of_God
or
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Battle_for_God
or
http://www.amazon.com/The-Great-Transfor...0385721242

or...catholic...right?

Jonathan Kirsch.
http://www.amazon.com/God-Against-The-Go...0142196339

Not a single one of these books look to argue any "atheist point", btw. They are not -intended- to have a deconversion effect. Nevertheless, they will have that effect on some. Even if your BF isn;t one of those people, if he can read these books and enjoy them you'll at least know he can appreciate a good book about god that doesn't start with the line "In the beginning".
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(June 21, 2015 at 2:28 pm)Metis Wrote: Is it really that clingy? I know a couple of ex Catholics personally and they seem to agree there's something that lingers.

As for the God Delusion...Might be worth a go, not really a fan of New Athiest works myself since I think their aggressive style tends to rile believers more than persuade them but it's readable enough...Thanks!

Honest? It is. There's this saying, you can't stop being a catholic. Even when you're excommunicated, you're still a fucking catholic.

Catholicism breaks your brain, injects you with fear, guilt and shame and takes forever to get over.

But don't be discouraged. He can and will overcome it. It's best if he could cut contacts with catholics tbh.

God Delusion is primarily a pretty thorough dismantling of superstitious arguments. The movement behind it is secondary. I'm positive it will help. Get him to watch some Hitchslap on YT, that should help too.
Quote:I think their aggressive style tends to rile believers more than persuade them but it's readable enough...Thanks!

All it takes to rile those fuckers is to tell them that their god is a myth.
(June 21, 2015 at 2:31 pm)Rhythm Wrote: As far as books go, that won't "rile" believers.  More importantly....books that are -readable-...lol

Try Karen Armstrong.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_History_of_God
or
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Battle_for_God
or
http://www.amazon.com/The-Great-Transfor...0385721242

or...catholic...right?  

Jonathan Kirsch.  
http://www.amazon.com/God-Against-The-Go...0142196339

Not a single one of these books look to argue any "atheist point", btw.  They are not -intended- to have a deconversion effect.  Nevertheless, they will have that effect on some.  Even if your BF isn;t one of those people, if he can read these books and enjoy them you'll at least know he can appreciate a good book about god that doesn't start with the line "In the beginning".

Ah Karen Armstrong! Smile I must say I'm something of a fan, not the most popular choice in Religious Studies/Theology departments around here but I've read pretty much everything she's ever put to paper. I think she's a former Catholic herself come to think about it....Kirsch... Cheers! .

The fact it's not explicit deconversion isn't a problem, I don't actually want per say him to agree with me. I just want to try and pull his confidence up out of the gutter where these weird Catholic guilt trips keep dragging him.

(June 21, 2015 at 2:36 pm)Neimenovic Wrote:
(June 21, 2015 at 2:28 pm)Metis Wrote: Is it really that clingy? I know a couple of ex Catholics personally and they seem to agree there's something that lingers.

Honest? It is. There's this saying, you can't stop being a catholic. Even when you're excommunicated, you're still a fucking catholic.

Catholicism breaks your brain, injects you with fear, guilt and shame and takes forever to get over.

But don't be discouraged. He can and will overcome it. It's best if he could cut contacts with catholics tbh.

God Delusion is primarily a pretty thorough dismantling of superstitious arguments. The movement behind it is secondary. I'm positive it will help. Get him to watch some Hitchslap on YT, that should help too.

He has for the most part, or rather when they heard about me they all ran for the hills tossing holy water behind 'em Tongue Then again, I suppose meeting some of the family for the first time by running into them wearing a T-Shirt depicting Pope Benedict as Emperor Palpatine wasn't the most diplomatic move I've ever made. Just every now and then we run into someone he knows from his parish, like the bitch that got hired as the receptionist at one of the schools he works for.

Hitchens words even now are a treat for the ears. Were I even only half as eloquent! Brilliant ideas folks, all helps!

(June 21, 2015 at 2:43 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:I think their aggressive style tends to rile believers more than persuade them but it's readable enough...Thanks!

All it takes to rile those fuckers is to tell them that their god is a myth.

True, but usually when you don't mock them directly they can't weasel out of it or appeal for sympathy from outsiders by squealing about anti-invisible unicornism or whatever.

They're going to be pissed either way, but it gives them less ammo to try and return fire with.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video Catholics Aren't Christians? Mental Outlaw 85 13658 January 8, 2015 at 11:24 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Resources? k2490 5 1091 May 29, 2014 at 10:05 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  A compilation of resources Senshi 0 947 March 30, 2014 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: Senshi
  Atheist Links and Resources Jason Jarred 13 7840 April 13, 2009 at 9:13 am
Last Post: Eilonnwy