Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:21 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Now what?
Now what?
So, what's left? Slavery is done for, we have civil rights on paper at least, we kicked God out of schools, and now we have marriage equality. But I keep hearing that this latest move is a step or a sign that "they're taking away our religious freedoms". But is there anything left to change for the betterment of America that was put in place for religious reasons?

I would be tempted to say taxing churches, but I wouldn't want to lose separation of church and state.
RE: Now what?
Just watched something on Frontline which made it clear slavery is alive and well. People anxious to come to the US are still being exploited. Nine black people in South Carolina were recently reminded that racism is still a thing. With or without God, education in the US is fucked by attempts to corporatize it. Lots of problems remain.
(June 27, 2015 at 10:10 am)Exian Wrote: So, what's left? Slavery is done for, we have civil rights on paper at least, we kicked God out of schools, and now we have marriage equality. But I keep hearing that this latest move is a step or a sign that "they're taking away our religious freedoms". But is there anything left to change for the betterment of America that was put in place for religious reasons?

I would be tempted to say taxing churches, but I wouldn't want to lose separation of church and state.
May not be put in place for religious reasons but there are still issues to address. Discrimination still exists in many forms, I'd like to see that go. Hunger and homeless still exist. Immigration issues. The list could go on endlessly. Strive for utopia know it will never be attainable.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Pulling the very concept of right wrong and the consequences there of in the place that our children go to learn life's lessons is asinine. Civil rights have gotten confused with I can do what I want because that is what I want and is counter productive to real equality. Marriage no longer has any relevance or meaning if it ever did in the first place. The religions flawed as they may be are the basis of life's lessons and without at least one encompassing religion for some to base there path on we will no doubt fall further into the abyss of carelessness oblivious to real life and true meaning.
That is a whole lot of very confused wrong, pops
Well, you can't outlaw stupidity and hatred. There are some that believe we'll be rid of racism eventually, but I know a shit ton of racists personally (Meeting someone who isn't racist is extremely rare in my neck of the woods), and there's no getting through to them. Their hatred is engrained to such a degree that they wear it with pride. But I think the ones that make me lose hope are the really nice people. The people who are great parents and would give you the shirts off their back. Just when you get comfortable with them, they shock you by saying some extremely racist shit.

What's this you say about slavery? Could I get a linkypoo? I heard something about this about a year ago but never did my follow-up research. I wonder if the Frontline program is about the same thing?
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
Nearly half of the US population say they would not vote for a an atheist for President. I'd say that's something that needs fixing.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
I don't think taxing churches is a church/state issue. Churches are not required in order to practice religion, which is what the separation guarantees. If that were the case, then I'd have to be given a church to practice my new religion I just came up with or else the government is interfering with my right to practice my religion. Churches are an unnecessary luxury, and unless they properly apply for charitable status they should be taxed on any income they make. Similarly, their books should be as open as other businesses. Secular law still applies to the way you practice your religion. People are still arrested for killing people in a church, so people should be taxed for making money in a church. Also, a church would expect the emergency services to help them, wouldn't they?

Also, to get this status from the government, I believe they have to declare you a "valid religion" or some such nonsense. That is prejudice against smaller religions that I just made up, isn't it? How is mine any less valid just because I have less members and history?

They get away with this shit for many reasons I think:

1- The state is concerned about the shitstorm that would follow if they started collecting taxes, including even more meddling in politics than they already do.

2- The very name of "seperation of church and state" is a bait and switch. It should be "separation of the right to practice religion and state". "The church" does not mean "churches". But when has semantic games ever got in the way of religion being dishonest?

3- Since 70% or so of Americans are Christian, as a nation they seem to struggle to appreciate the difference between "religious freedom" and "Christian rights". Since Christianity would be obviously affected the most, this could cause a lot of unrest.

Maybe once religion gets properly under control and becomes much more diverse, the taxes could be put in place.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Removing any church's exempt status because of their endless interference in politics is not "taxing the churches."  It is removing the tax deduction from the assholes who support them.
Of course, whether or not church real estate is taxed is up to the municipalities involved but they serve no useful purpose so I am in favor of that, too.

Fuck 'em.
Right, it wouldn't be a punishment. As usual, it would be removing a privilege that shouldn't have been there in the first place.

Clearly, the word "church" is a red herring in all this because I can call my new building of worship for my religion whatever I want and my religion is still covered by "church and state" separation.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  so you're in heaven now what? - coming soon so you're in hell now what v2 dyresand 8 2726 July 13, 2015 at 12:24 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Watch: now you see it, now you... Cyberman 15 4656 April 9, 2012 at 8:45 pm
Last Post: Cinjin