Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 7:31 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Halucigenia Worm of 500 MYA Had Circular Mouth
Halucigenia Worm of 500 MYA Had Circular Mouth
500 Million Year Old "Smiling Worm" Rears its Head.

Quote:Heads or tails? Scientists finally have an answer in the case of the odd ancient worm Hallucigenia, which leaves fossils so bizarre that researchers once thought its top was its bottom and its back was its front.

Indeed, after decades, researchers have confirmed which side of Hallucigenia was the head, and found its circular "grinning" mouth lined with teeth, according to a new study detailed today (June 24) in the journal Nature. This toothy ring may be the link that connects creatures as diverse as spiders, nematode worms and teeny-tiny tardigrades — the cute and nearly indestructible micro animals also known as water bears.

"You look at a spider today, and you would have no idea," said study co-author Martin Smith, a researcher of paleontology and evolution at the University of Cambridge. "But actually, its simple mouth used to be much more complicated."

I remember reading about Hallucigenia and seeing pics of its fossil for the first time in Stephen Jay Gould's "Wonderful Life." It was one of oddest life forms from the Cambrian Explosion of life 500 Million Years Ago, and I think that book was written back in the early 90s. I still have it.

Full article: http://www.livescience.com/51331-bizarre...0478646760
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."--Thomas Jefferson
RE: Halucigenia Worm of 500 MYA Had Circular Mouth
Uh oh! Now we have more gaps!!!
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(June 29, 2015 at 8:58 am)Secular Elf Wrote: 500 Million Year Old "Smiling Worm" Rears its Head.

Quote:Heads or tails? Scientists finally have an answer in the case of the odd ancient worm Hallucigenia, which leaves fossils so bizarre that researchers once thought its top was its bottom and its back was its front.

Indeed, after decades, researchers have confirmed which side of Hallucigenia was the head, and found its circular "grinning" mouth lined with teeth, according to a new study detailed today (June 24) in the journal Nature. This toothy ring may be the link that connects creatures as diverse as spiders, nematode worms and teeny-tiny tardigrades — the cute and nearly indestructible micro animals also known as water bears.

"You look at a spider today, and you would have no idea," said study co-author Martin Smith, a researcher of paleontology and evolution at the University of Cambridge. "But actually, its simple mouth used to be much more complicated."

I remember reading about Hallucigenia and seeing pics of its fossil for the first time in Stephen Jay Gould's "Wonderful Life."  It was one of oddest life forms from the Cambrian Explosion of life 500 Million Years Ago, and I think that book was written back in the early 90s.  I still have it.

Full article: http://www.livescience.com/51331-bizarre...0478646760

That was a nicely written book propounding a hypothesis viable at the time.   But it's underlying thesis that most of Burgess Shale organisms Represent unique biological experiments during the Cambrian explosion, and are not closely related to any living phyla, has not stood up to subsequent fossil discoveries.

I had a gal like that one time.

Yes, I had had too much to drink.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fossil worm shows us our evolutionary beginnings zebo-the-fat 0 363 March 24, 2020 at 3:48 pm
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  Any of you fellow old farts had an angioplasty? brewer 1 420 November 4, 2017 at 10:06 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  "The first person to live to [200, 300, 500, 1000] has already been born" Heat 218 17437 December 14, 2015 at 9:18 pm
Last Post: Excited Penguin
  Earliest Modern Human Possibly Had Neanderthal Great-Great Grandparent Secular Elf 2 1011 June 29, 2015 at 6:54 pm
Last Post: Secular Elf
  Genetic study suggest Polynesians had contact with Native Americans before Columbus Anomalocaris 0 922 October 26, 2014 at 7:54 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
Wink How Evolution had Looked? (cartoon Simpsons) Mitja 1 1063 January 28, 2012 at 5:06 am
Last Post: Zen Badger