Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 4:48 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any of you fellow old farts had an angioplasty?
Any of you fellow old farts had an angioplasty?
Or are considering one. From one of my feeds.

Study: PCI Appears No Better Than Sham Procedure in Patients with Stable Angina: By Kelly Young

Percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI) didn't improve exercise time relative to a sham procedure in patients with stable angina and severe coronary stenosis.

Findings from the ORBITA study were published in the Lancet and presented at the Transcatheter Cardiovascular Therapeutics conference on Thursday.

Two hundred patients with stable angina and at least one significant lesion (70% blockage or more) in a single vessel received 6 weeks of optimized antianginal medication. They also underwent treadmill exercise testing until they developed limiting symptoms, heart rhythm or blood pressure abnormalities, or significant ST-segment deviations. Patients were then randomized to undergo PCI with drug-eluting stents, or to receive a sham procedure in which they were sedated for at least 15 minutes and had their coronary catheter withdrawn without intervention.

Six weeks after PCI or sham, patients repeated the treadmill test. The change in exercise time did not differ significantly between the PCI and sham groups. Other exercise and patient-centered outcomes also were not improved with PCI.

Dr. Harlan Krumholz of NEJM Journal Watch Cardiology comments: "This remarkable, albeit small, study questions some key assumptions we have about the benefit of PCI in patients with stable angina — and also provokes questions about the need to evaluate interventions and devices with sham controls. Patients with stable angina considering PCI deserve to know about this study."

http://thelancet.com/journals/lancet/art...9/fulltext
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
RE: Any of you fellow old farts had an angioplasty?
I'm dying to find out what works and what doesn't.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OK fellow old farts, have those close to you monitor these. brewer 9 2905 May 2, 2017 at 7:18 am
Last Post: brewer
  Earliest Modern Human Possibly Had Neanderthal Great-Great Grandparent Secular Elf 2 1002 June 29, 2015 at 6:54 pm
Last Post: Secular Elf
  Halucigenia Worm of 500 MYA Had Circular Mouth Secular Elf 3 1231 June 29, 2015 at 11:17 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Finally, no more excuses for holding back farts abaris 18 5659 December 13, 2014 at 12:37 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Genetic study suggest Polynesians had contact with Native Americans before Columbus Anomalocaris 0 914 October 26, 2014 at 7:54 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
Wink How Evolution had Looked? (cartoon Simpsons) Mitja 1 1058 January 28, 2012 at 5:06 am
Last Post: Zen Badger