Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 11:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"The first person to live to [200, 300, 500, 1000] has already been born"
"The first person to live to [200, 300, 500, 1000] has already been born"
There are many claims like this in this day and age. People have been speculating this more and more as a result of the exponential increase in technological advancement. The number may very, but it is usually closer to 500.

What are your thoughts on this?
Which is better:
To die with ignorance, or to live with intelligence?

Truth doesn't accommodate to personal opinions.
The choice is yours. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is God and there is man, it's only a matter of who created whom

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The more questions you ask, the more you realize that disagreement is inevitable, and communication of this disagreement, irrelevant.
RE: "The first person to live to [200, 300, 500, 1000] has already been born"
My thoughts are, that probably not only the one person, but a whole generation of those kinds of people has been born already.

It depends on when we solve the problem of death. If we do it by 2050, that is very good news for me. If not, meh.
Also, we'll probably start by adding a few significant years to our lifetimes, then 5-10-15... with no end in sight. So if you're gonna be alive in the 22nd century, it's very likely that you'll live to see the sun burn out(hopefully from another solar system).
It's just wild speculation, but not impossible within a few decades
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(December 14, 2015 at 4:00 am)Aoi Magi Wrote: It's just wild speculation, but not impossible within a few decades
Well I mean technically we won't actually know for a few centuries Tongue
Which is better:
To die with ignorance, or to live with intelligence?

Truth doesn't accommodate to personal opinions.
The choice is yours. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is God and there is man, it's only a matter of who created whom

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The more questions you ask, the more you realize that disagreement is inevitable, and communication of this disagreement, irrelevant.
I would say it is probably true. No guarantee of course, but we are in the very beginning of a biotech revolution that will progress as fast as Moore's Law for a long time to come (and has already significantly outpaced it, actually). We have every reason to believe that outrageous medical advances will be made in the coming decades.

I think if someone lives to 150 they are pretty much on course for indefinite. It's one of those things that will just be cured. It's not as if, at some point, there will be ultra-decrepit 150 year olds walking around. No, at some point we reach escape velocity and health is just indefinitely maintained. You're perpetually biologically 25. Difficult problem, kind of like un-scrambling an egg, but possible, and taken more seriously by the month. This year Google got in the game.

I plan on reaching longevity escape velocity. If I don't, I will get cryonics, which will hopefully have improved even more by the end of my lifespan, whenever that may be. Like I said in another thread, if the life expectancy doesn't rise a bit until I die, it'll be the late 2060s or so. Shit is going to be fucking insane in the late 2060s. We can't even conceive of it.

I wrote an essay about this here: https://deanamine.wordpress.com/2015/10/...evity-day/
(December 14, 2015 at 4:09 am)Heat Wrote:
(December 14, 2015 at 4:00 am)Aoi Magi Wrote: It's just wild speculation, but not impossible within a few decades
Well I mean technically we won't actually know for a few centuries Tongue

Well, that's true, unless we discover time travel
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

If they have, I honestly don't want to live past 100 years old. There's enough destruction and hate in this world to last me two lifetimes. I don't wish to live to see more of it for any extended length of time.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
"Old people are people too, so the fact that aging only kills old people is not a reason not to be working on defeating it."

That quote I just heard from Aubrey de Grey is a game changer, I think. It reveals an unexamined bigotry we have. We think it is okay that they die, because they are old. That's actually incredibly bigoted.
(December 14, 2015 at 4:43 am)Amine Wrote: Shit is going to be fucking insane in the late 2060s. We can't even conceive of it.

I totally agree   Smile

And maybe even sooner. I can't wait to see what's going to happen in the thirties, for example.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  On the consciousness of a new born baby Macoleco 8 770 April 7, 2022 at 7:22 am
Last Post: brewer
  Live stream from 2000m depth - now - Alex K 15 1946 March 12, 2016 at 2:26 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Halucigenia Worm of 500 MYA Had Circular Mouth Secular Elf 3 1229 June 29, 2015 at 11:17 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Churches oppose three-person baby plan zebo-the-fat 36 6713 February 3, 2015 at 2:50 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Half Sheep half Goat born in Ireland downbeatplumb 11 2119 April 5, 2014 at 8:37 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Are you born with your personality? Clueless Morgan 18 4351 March 18, 2014 at 10:55 am
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  We've been using tools longer than we thought... Creed of Heresy 6 2838 December 18, 2013 at 9:42 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Next-Gen Test Tube Baby Born pineapplebunnybounce 4 2373 July 12, 2013 at 4:46 pm
Last Post: pineapplebunnybounce
Smile World’s First GM Babies Born Big Blue Sky 12 3661 June 28, 2013 at 10:01 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
Lightbulb Monsanto Has Been Removed And Banned By: Big Blue Sky 40 9591 June 26, 2013 at 11:46 am
Last Post: HAL9000