Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:47 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Status Wars"
"Status Wars"
This is a funny little thing that happens every I post a status on Yahoo.. My dad always happens to repond with something that is not directly addressing my quote, but along the lines and against the lines.

I posted the quote "Science flies you to moons and stars. Religion flies you into buildings."
but I twisted it a little by making it:"Science flies you to space. Religion flies you into buildings."
just to be simpler...

And he responds by saying: Truth often suffers more by the heat of its defenders than by the arguments of its opponents! Unkown Source

and

"I Don't Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist" - good book by Norman L. Geisler

and the usual junk he responds with... I'm sure it doesn't take much faith at all to be atheist... right?
I try not to be offensive with the quotes at all...
Should I?
--- RDW, 17
"Extraordinary claims, require extraordinary evidence" - Carl Sagan
"I don't believe in [any] god[s]. I believe in man - his strength, his possibilities, his reason." - Gherman Titov, Soviet cosmonaut
[Image: truthyellow.jpg]
RE: "Status Wars"
I say stick to actual quotes, but don't hold back. Unless this is an issue that will destroy your relationship with your father. Nothing is worth that.
Maybe you should talk face to face, get to common ground. If thats not possible just never mention religion to him again.
No point in destroying a relationship just because there is no god.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(April 18, 2010 at 12:33 pm)littlegrimlin1 Wrote: This is a funny little thing that happens every I post a status on Yahoo.. My dad always happens to repond with something that is not directly addressing my quote, but along the lines and against the lines.

I posted the quote "Science flies you to moons and stars. Religion flies you into buildings."
but I twisted it a little by making it:"Science flies you to space. Religion flies you into buildings."
just to be simpler...

And he responds by saying: Truth often suffers more by the heat of its defenders than by the arguments of its opponents! Unkown Source

and

"I Don't Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist" - good book by Norman L. Geisler

and the usual junk he responds with... I'm sure it doesn't take much faith at all to be atheist... right?
I try not to be offensive with the quotes at all...
Should I?

I have a friend who is a staunch atheist and his mother is a devout Christian. His mother is constantly sending him (along with everyone else in the family) crap emails regarding "God" and "Jesus". Mostly, he ignores them. But on occasion he does reply with well reasoned arguments that shoot down his mother's nonsense. He doesn't really get into arguments with her, but he does let her know that he thinks her beliefs are ridiculous.
Science flies us to the moon and stars. Religion flies us into buildings.

God allowed 200,000 people to die in an earthquake. So what makes you think he cares about YOUR problems?
(April 18, 2010 at 1:06 pm)Thor Wrote: I have a friend who is a staunch atheist and his mother is a devout Christian. His mother is constantly sending him (along with everyone else in the family) crap emails regarding "God" and "Jesus". Mostly, he ignores them. But on occasion he does reply with well reasoned arguments that shoot down his mother's nonsense. He doesn't really get into arguments with her, but he does let her know that he thinks her beliefs are ridiculous.

ahhha, I am almost in the same situation, but I'm not as good at refuting as most people here, although I know most of this crap is also ridiculous.
--- RDW, 17
"Extraordinary claims, require extraordinary evidence" - Carl Sagan
"I don't believe in [any] god[s]. I believe in man - his strength, his possibilities, his reason." - Gherman Titov, Soviet cosmonaut
[Image: truthyellow.jpg]
(April 18, 2010 at 12:38 pm)Paul the Human Wrote: I say stick to actual quotes, but don't hold back. Unless this is an issue that will destroy your relationship with your father. Nothing is worth that.

I disagree... I can think of many things plenty worth destroying one's relationship with their father... and whether we do or don't is rather dependent on just how much we value the relationship and the thing that would destroy it.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(April 18, 2010 at 4:15 pm)Saerules Wrote:
(April 18, 2010 at 12:38 pm)Paul the Human Wrote: I say stick to actual quotes, but don't hold back. Unless this is an issue that will destroy your relationship with your father. Nothing is worth that.

I disagree... I can think of many things plenty worth destroying one's relationship with their father... and whether we do or don't is rather dependent on just how much we value the relationship and the thing that would destroy it.

Of course, I am speaking subjectively from my own personal perspective. Nothing I can think of is worth destroying my relationship with my father over and that colors the opinion that I expressed. I would never presume to think that it applies to everyone, but when asked for an opinion on the matter, that is the one I hold.
Why don't you quote me?

"You have to be a total fucking moron to believe in invisible sky-daddies."

- Minimalist
Dinosaurs didn't wear saddles, you fucking dumbass.

-Tavarish.
It's sounds like the old..."My god has a bigger dick than you god" Testosterone poisoning

Don't sweat the small stuff...

Remember...it's ALL small stuff.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Status of Global Christianity 2024: In Context of 1900-2050. JJoseph 25 1170 February 12, 2024 at 2:08 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  For the Victims of the Afghan and Iraq Wars... raffaction 29 3250 August 24, 2016 at 6:00 am
Last Post: InsaneDane
  Mangers and "Star Wars" thesummerqueen 6 2071 December 16, 2010 at 6:51 am
Last Post: Light of Truth