Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 26, 2024, 10:09 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don't Fall For It, Ed
Don't Fall For It, Ed
Can't trust lawyers and/or politicians.

https://www.yahoo.com/politics/eric-hold...63066.html

Quote:Eric Holder: The Justice Department could strike deal with Edward Snowden
RE: Don't Fall For It, Ed
I would advise Snowden to exercise EXTREME caution when dealing with the Justice Department. They are under no obligation at all to truthfully propose a 'deal' and can freely lie to Snowden and make any guaranty they want to get him back and then not honor it, and Snowden will have absolutely no recourse.

Even assuming the current administration for reasons totally unfathomable were 'sincere' in making a proposal, subsequent administrations (of any persuasion) would be under no obligation to honor it.

{disclaimer; I tangled with D.I.S.C.O. in the past and have a VERY jaundiced view of just about everything to do with clearances, secrecy and all the other spook world folderol}
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

If I were him, the only way I would return the U.S. would be with a binding international agreement of some sort in which sanctions would be put against the U.S. if they try to charge him. Coming home with anything less than that would show deep naïveté. I mean, no one's ever got burned when the U.S. Government said, "Trust me," right?

Of course, I have no idea how realistic of a scenario that is, but Ed better be reminding himself of the shady nature of our government every time he starts feeling homesick.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
The only way I would return to the U.S. if I were Snowden, is if he first received a Presidential Pardon for any and all crimes he may have previously committed.  It would have to be worded in a way that it does not just list specific crimes they have talked about charging him with, but that he is pardoned for everything he may have done.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
(July 7, 2015 at 12:03 pm)Pyrrho Wrote: The only way I would return to the U.S. if I were Snowden, is if he first received a Presidential Pardon for any and all crimes he may have previously committed.  It would have to be worded in a way that it does not just list specific crimes they have talked about charging him with, but that he is pardoned for everything he may have done.

Pretty much this.

AFAIK, going against a presidential pardon is without precedent, and I doubt very seriously the Justice department would be willing to do so.

I can't see anything less giving Snowden the assurance that he'll stay out of prison - and even so, he should expect a lengthy debriefing in custody.
Sadly,  our government has a shitty history of keeping its word.

Just ask the Indians.
(July 7, 2015 at 12:29 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:
(July 7, 2015 at 12:03 pm)Pyrrho Wrote: The only way I would return to the U.S. if I were Snowden, is if he first received a Presidential Pardon for any and all crimes he may have previously committed.  It would have to be worded in a way that it does not just list specific crimes they have talked about charging him with, but that he is pardoned for everything he may have done.

Pretty much this.

AFAIK, going against a presidential pardon is without precedent, and I doubt very seriously the Justice department would be willing to do so.

I can't see anything less giving Snowden the assurance that he'll stay out of prison - and even so, he should expect a lengthy debriefing in custody.

Going against a Presidential Pardon would be unconstitutional, as it is a specific power granted by the U.S. Constitution to the President.

And I agree, anything less and he is going to be looking at time in jail.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
(July 7, 2015 at 2:06 pm)Pyrrho Wrote: Going against a Presidential Pardon would be unconstitutional, as it is a specific power granted by the U.S. Constitution to the President.

But accidents can still happen.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  So happens if Trump is impeached after the mid terms this fall GODZILLA 16 2648 May 7, 2018 at 4:03 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The apple doesn't fall far from the tree! ignoramus 2 711 November 9, 2017 at 6:20 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  The Turd Doesn't Fall Far From The Asshole in WLB Land Minimalist 0 1047 June 2, 2017 at 6:56 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The Turd Didn't Fall Far From The Asshole In Trump's Family Minimalist 0 1567 March 30, 2016 at 3:35 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The last to fall Elskidor 4 1054 October 14, 2014 at 7:13 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  If Americans Are Stupid Enough To Fall For This - They Deserve Whatever They Get. Minimalist 57 11707 April 5, 2014 at 1:39 am
Last Post: KUSA
  Where on the political spectrum do you fall? CleanShavenJesus 22 4204 June 11, 2013 at 8:51 pm
Last Post: Mystical
  The Decline and Fall of the United States of America TastyTim 16 8311 February 3, 2012 at 1:03 pm
Last Post: m.condon
  Senate votes to abolish "don't ask don't tell" theVOID 11 3750 December 20, 2010 at 7:26 am
Last Post: Jaysyn