Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 3:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No one helped man getting killed in train
No one helped man getting killed in train
Hi, what do you guys think of this story and of the way those passengers acted?

http://thefederalist.com/2015/07/09/beho...a-man-die/

(a very tragic story... my condolences to Sutherland's family Sad )
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
RE: No one helped man getting killed in train
It's easy to call other people beta males through a screen yet it's entirely different when you're faced with an attacker who wields a knife in the real world. Sure, someone could have intervened, but who knows, it might have been at the expense of their own life. Would you be willing to take such a risk so lightly? Anyone who says they would jump in without a moment's hesitation is a fucking liar IMO. And the guy who wrote that article is the biggest cunt on the planet. He is effectively placing blame for the death of the man in the train on the people who were caught in a situation they never asked for, when it should be squarely on the psycho with the knife and no one else. Some fucked up kind of morality going on there.

But hey, if the author is so fucking macho why doesn't he don a spiderman suit and go out taking care of the bad guys. Absolute fucking prick.
I thought in a country where it's a child's play to acquire a gun for self defense, everyone would be carrying a gun - especially in a place like a subway train where there's no passenger control.
[Image: OAsWbDZ.png]
(July 10, 2015 at 1:34 pm)Napoléon Wrote: It's easy to call other people beta males through a screen yet it's entirely different when you're faced with an attacker who wields a knife in the real world. Sure, someone could have intervened, but who knows, it might have been at the expense of their own life. Would you be willing to take such a risk so lightly? Anyone who says they would jump in without a moment's hesitation is a fucking liar IMO. And the guy who wrote that article is the biggest cunt on the planet. He is effectively placing blame for the death of the man in the train on the people who were caught in a situation they never asked for, when it should be squarely on the psycho with the knife and no one else. Some fucked up kind of morality going on there.

But hey, if the author is so fucking macho why doesn't he don a spiderman suit and go out taking care of the bad guys. Absolute fucking prick.

Thanks for the response.

Btw, you're looking good today, Napoleon. I see you made some good use of bleach. Wink

(July 10, 2015 at 1:40 pm)Atheist_BG Wrote: I thought in a country where it's a child's play to acquire a gun for self defense, everyone would be carrying a gun - especially in a place like a subway train where there's no passenger control.

Washington DC isn't really into the gun thing. If this had happened in Texas, on the other hand, the outcome would probably be quite different...
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
The associated story from the Washington Post gives a slightly different take on the situation.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/crim...story.html

The Federalist is a right-wing rag.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought gun ownership wasn't as common in cities as it is here in the country. It's pretty much implied and part of the culture where I live, even though I don't own a gun. I mean, yes I do. I have a damn arsenal!
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
I hate the who beta/alpha male thing anyway. This has nothing to do with being dominant or not or even the person's sex. People often wait for someone else to stand up before they will react. No one knows how they will react in such a situation. I'd like to think that I would overcome the tendency to let other's act first, but I can't know until it happens
I don't know, I do agree Nap that it's wrong to put the blame for the death on the other passengers. The kid with the knife is the murderer of course and should get full blame.

But having said that, a whole crowd of people vs 1 teen with a knife? Yeah they could have done something. That's one of those situations where people could have come together and collectively manhandled that guy to the floor. It would have been so easy for a couple people to quickly grab him while he was focused on his target then for someone else to grab the knife out his hand. Overall I do agree with the guy who wrote the article, I have to shake my head at a whole crowd of people on the train who stood by and did nothing when it was only a knife, not a gun, and when they had the advantage of numbers.

If it had been an almost empty carriage and a whole crowd of guys who got on with knives (or worse, guns), I could get it, you're outnumbered. I just think for a whole crowd of dozens of people to stand by and collectively decide to do nothing is cowardly. Really despairing.
"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the road, and then getting hit by an airplane"  - sarcasm_only

"Ironically like the nativist far-Right, which despises multiculturalism, but benefits from its ideas of difference to scapegoat the other and to promote its own white identity politics; these postmodernists, leftists, feminists and liberals also use multiculturalism, to side with the oppressor, by demanding respect and tolerance for oppression characterised as 'difference', no matter how intolerable."
- Maryam Namazie

Ah, the old 'good guy with a gun' horseshit.

Let's see.  It's a railroad car, long and narrow.  Two groups of passengers, perhaps 5 in each according to the Washington Post, are separated by the altercation.  So if one guy had a gun in one group the other group would be in his line of fire if he missed.  In this instance, you'd have been better off with a sword than a gun.  Less collateral damage.
(July 10, 2015 at 2:03 pm)Yeauxleaux Wrote: I don't know, I do agree Nap that it's wrong to put the blame for the death on the other passengers. The kid with the knife is the murderer of course and should get full blame.

But having said that, a whole crowd of people vs 1 teen with a knife? Yeah they could have done something. That's one of those situations where people could have come together and collectively manhandled that guy to the floor. It would have been so easy for a couple people to quickly grab him while he was focused on his target then for someone else to grab the knife out his hand. Overall I do agree with the guy who wrote the article, I have to shake my head at a whole crowd of people on the train who stood by and did nothing when it was only a knife, not a gun, and when they had the advantage of numbers.

If it had been an almost empty carriage and a whole crowd of guys who got on with knives (or worse, guns), I could get it, you're outnumbered. I just think for a whole crowd of dozens of people to stand by and collectively decide to do nothing is cowardly. Really despairing.

^These are my sentiments exactly too. Thanks for the response.

-walsh

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Motorcade for local marine killed in the evacuation happened today brewer 1 264 September 10, 2021 at 6:39 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Nine family members killed in US airstrike in Kabul targeting suspected ISIS-K bomber WinterHold 16 1068 August 31, 2021 at 7:34 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  US troops and Afghans killed in suicide attacks outside Kabul airport WinterHold 3 576 August 26, 2021 at 11:09 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Accused Kidnapper killed in Truck Accident onlinebiker 1 282 June 27, 2021 at 10:23 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Saudi journalist killed and hacked inside Saudi embassy in Istanbul WinterHold 333 27767 January 16, 2021 at 6:26 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Iran's top nuke scientist killed. Brian37 18 1044 November 28, 2020 at 1:53 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  Whale sculpture catches crashed Dutch metro train zebo-the-fat 6 291 November 2, 2020 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Trump Train runs Biden Bus out of Texas! WinterHold 18 1314 November 2, 2020 at 9:58 am
Last Post: Fireball
  " I helped nab Bin Laden , but can't wear a mask". Brian37 39 2255 August 23, 2020 at 9:39 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  BREAKING: The Pentagon announces the US killed Iranian general Soleimani WinterHold 133 15681 January 20, 2020 at 3:39 pm
Last Post: Smedders