Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 10:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello, everyone.
Hello, everyone.
I've been lurking here for a couple of days, and decided to sign up. I thought it would be a good idea to have a place to interact with like-minded people from time to time. This is my first time posting here. I'm sure someone will let me know if I'm not introducing myself right.
I was a Christian believer for many years. It's harder to say how long I've been an atheist..... I guess I consciously acknowledged that fact only a few months ago. But, the process that led me to non-belief was a gradual chipping away that actually took many years. I quit attending church over a decade ago, because I refuse to align myself with assholes. I stopped praying soon after, because I felt like lunatic whenever i did. Through all of this, I still identified as a Christian.  Deep down, though  knew that my religious belief and reality were on a collision course.
So I guess, I was just preparing myself.
Anyway, I'm sure i'm one of many.  I think I'll check out some of their stories now! Goodnight.
RE: Hello, everyone.
Welcome aboard.

Many of us are former theists.  It's like putting down a heavy load isn't it?
Welcome, Thena Smile
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
Welcome!  

I think it is common for former theists to have gradually rid themselves of their religion.  It took several years for me, from serious doubts to being a complete atheist.  I had no need to label myself as anything in particular, and took my time about it, as I wanted to get things figured out correctly more than I wanted them figured out quickly.  I think that is usually best, unless there is some pressing action that depends on a quick decision.  And quick action only requires a quick decision on how to act, not a firm conviction that one is right.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
Welcome Thena

Enjoy your stay.
Drop by the pool or the piano bar if you have the time.
So how, exactly, does God know that She's NOT a brain in a vat? Huh
Welcome matey. You sound sensible!
Life is so much easier when you're not apologising for that "book".
But we're dangerously low and need to up our quota of loonies!
Otherwise, it'll just be dirty jokes all day!  

PS,
Min, how can a wise and respected man like you ever get sucked in?
We all want to know!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Welcome

If your actual name is Thena, that is a beautiful and esoteric name. I like it!
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(July 13, 2015 at 11:16 pm)JuliaL Wrote: Welcome Thena

Enjoy your stay.
Drop by the pool or the piano bar if you have the time.

You'll be happy to know suits are optional .. both in the pool and at the piano bar.  Welcome.
Welcome

I'd love to hear more about what was the first doubt that started your change, but for now have a warm welcome and make yourself at home.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(July 13, 2015 at 11:07 pm)Thena323 Wrote: I've been lurking here for a couple of days, and decided to sign up. I thought it would be a good idea to have a place to interact with like-minded people from time to time. This is my first time posting here. I'm sure someone will let me know if I'm not introducing myself right.
I was a Christian believer for many years. It's harder to say how long I've been an atheist..... I guess I consciously acknowledged that fact only a few months ago. But, the process that led me to non-belief was a gradual chipping away that actually took many years. I quit attending church over a decade ago, because I refuse to align myself with assholes. I stopped praying soon after, because I felt like lunatic whenever i did. Through all of this, I still identified as a Christian.  Deep down, though  knew that my religious belief and reality were on a collision course.
So I guess, I was just preparing myself.
Anyway, I'm sure i'm one of many.  I think I'll check out some of their stories now! Goodnight.

Awesome! Looking forward to your posts. You are warmly welcomed.

I bet you'll turn out to be a great addition to the community.

Last but not least,

Keep it real. Cool

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Hello, everyone Rolls 21 1405 June 27, 2020 at 9:31 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Hello Everyone! Chicken 33 2173 December 25, 2018 at 10:57 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  Hello Everyone :) , { Just an ape trying to socialize } Enlightened Ape 31 5643 April 24, 2018 at 1:22 pm
Last Post: Enlightened Ape
Wink Hello Everyone! rskovride 15 1889 February 21, 2018 at 5:45 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Hello Everyone Shai Hulud 32 7820 May 14, 2017 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: Shai Hulud
  Hello Everyone! Driggs 22 2616 April 12, 2017 at 10:29 pm
Last Post: c172
  Hello everyone account_inactive 25 3836 April 12, 2017 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Hello Everyone! Flavius 9 1231 March 30, 2017 at 6:54 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  Hello everyone Yoo 11 2381 August 29, 2016 at 12:11 pm