Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 11:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pain and empathy
Pain and empathy
So I just finished an episode of House. One of the patients had Congenital insensitivity to pain with anhidrosis (CIPA). Would an inability to feel pain limit an ability to empathize? And would that affect the human experience?
RE: Pain and empathy
I don't see a direct correlation. The inability to feel pain tactilely should not effect the persons emotional development to feel empathy. However the National Inst. of Health states that "About half of people with CIPA show signs of hyperactivity or emotional instability, and many affected individuals have intellectual disability." A lack of empathy may be part of the mental profile with this genetic disorder.

http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/congeni...anhidrosis
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Speaking of "house" BQ, as far as fanboys goes...

ALL ST/SW
House
GOT
BB

problem is I don't believe in watching anything twice ...never have never will, never can?
So really, they're all history now! Just waiting on GOT S6.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(July 18, 2015 at 7:52 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: I don't see a direct correlation. The inability to feel pain tactilely should not effect the persons emotional development to feel empathy. However the National Inst. of Health states that "About half of people with CIPA show signs of hyperactivity or emotional instability, and many affected individuals have intellectual disability." A lack of empathy may be part of the mental profile with this genetic disorder.

http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/congeni...anhidrosis

I know I'm more active when my wear-and-tear pains are gone. In my top 5 moments of life is being aware of when my headache medicine kicks in. It's not just feeling better; it's the contrast of being in pain and now being completely comfortable. I suddenly become very active and kick ass at work.
I think it would be a lot more difficult to understand the suffering of others if I couldn't have anything similar to the same sensation.
House was an awesome show, saw every episode, but I am quite certain that there were some discrepancies that did not make any sense.

It was a fictional show, after all.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(July 19, 2015 at 1:07 am)Kitan Wrote: House was an awesome show, saw every episode, but I am quite certain that there were some discrepancies that did not make any sense.

It was a fictional show, after all.
Of course but my question was more toward theory
(July 19, 2015 at 1:15 am)BrokenQuill92 Wrote: Of course but my question was more toward theory

I understand, but pain receptors of the body is completely different than the ability to empathize.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jellyfish have no brain - can they feel pain? Duty 9 926 September 24, 2022 at 2:25 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Empathy chimp3 11 2112 January 13, 2017 at 12:29 am
Last Post: Astreja
  The difference between empathy and sympathy and why it's important Aegon 7 2036 February 22, 2016 at 6:40 pm
Last Post: bennyboy