Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 4:48 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jellyfish have no brain - can they feel pain?
Jellyfish have no brain - can they feel pain?
Or pleasure or...well, anything really? 

One for the ghost of Descartes probably but I'd say no - they feel nothing. Thoughts?
RE: Jellyfish have no brain - can they feel pain?
(September 24, 2022 at 7:41 am)Duty Wrote: Or pleasure or...well, anything really? 

One for the ghost of Descartes probably but I'd say no - they feel nothing. Thoughts?

This is kind of tricky...

On the one hand, they must feel things in the sense that they react to their environment. 

On the other, they probably don't have concepts. So when they react to their environment, they just react, and there's no part of them conceptualizing "Geez, I'm scared; gotta get out of here." 

I suspect that to call something "pleasure," it has to be something that we're aware of enjoying. We need the capacity to say, "Yeah! I like it!"
(September 24, 2022 at 7:59 am)Belacqua Wrote: On the one hand, they must feel things in the sense that they react to their environment. 

On the other, they probably don't have concepts. So when they react to their environment, they just react, and there's no part of them conceptualizing "Geez, I'm scared; gotta get out of here." 

It would be like the twitching of the severed legs of dead frogs (or, any other mammal, for that matter.)
(September 24, 2022 at 7:41 am)Duty Wrote: Or pleasure or...well, anything really? 

We don't know what pain really means, in a universal sense.  Certainly, for a person, you'd expect that unconsciousness would mean a lack of suffering as well.

But it seems to me that any living thing that is capable of motivated behavior (like trying to survive or to reproduce) must suffer on some level when the goals of those motivations are thwarted.
Here's an example of animal consciousness:
[Image: prod_18107398319?src=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn1....50&wid=250]
(September 24, 2022 at 7:59 am)Belacqua Wrote:

This is kind of tricky...

On the one hand, they must feel things in the sense that they react to their environment. 

I suspect that to call something "pleasure," it has to be something that we're aware of enjoying. We need the capacity to say, "Yeah! I like it!"

That raises the whole question of plant intelligence. Just what does it mean to be aware of something? Surely there's a spectrum, and maybe plants and jellyfish overlap with animals on it.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(September 24, 2022 at 9:30 am)Angrboda Wrote:
(September 24, 2022 at 7:59 am)Belacqua Wrote: This is kind of tricky...

That raises the whole question of plant intelligence.  Just what does it mean to be aware of something?  Surely there's a spectrum, and maybe plants and jellyfish overlap with animals on it.

You can't hear the plants crying when you bite into them?  Just think of the horrors of the poor corn at harvest time, as they are first cut on a beautiful sunny day, first being decapitated and falling onto the side belts of the combine, where they are slowly, but inexorably, drawn to their dismemberment; as they reach the center belt, they hear the roar of the feeder house, where they are suddenly sucked into the separator, where they are shredded, the combine separating the corn from its husk.  Finally, they are deposited into the grain tank after being smashed one against another in a huge centrifuge, pilling one upon another, higher and higher until they are dumped into a waiting semi.  After that comes the long journey to the processing plant where they are crushed and baked before being converted into all manner of chemical byproducts; some are destined to be syrup to be slowly dissolved in the guts of humans after unknown weeks of waiting for their doom, while others are destined for incineration in the gasoline tanks of cars and trucks.

What a pity!
I think the only thing a jellyfish can feel is the shame of being a jellyfish.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
They can dance, though!

Yes, they feel pain.*

*The only way to test this was to experiment. Since jellyfish can't vocalise, I had to find something without a brain that could.

I used a Trump supporter as a proxy.

He felt pain.

Therefore, jellyfish feel pain.

Also worthy to note, like jellfish, Trump supporters also have no backbone.
Dying to live, living to die.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mind is the brain? Mystic 301 28837 April 19, 2016 at 6:09 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Consciousness is simply an illusion emergent of a Boltzmann brain configuration.... maestroanth 36 5405 April 10, 2016 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Pain and empathy BrokenQuill92 7 2098 July 19, 2015 at 1:19 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  can identical twins have different religious beliefs? ignoramus 16 4051 June 25, 2014 at 9:05 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  Feel like I am the only one Dosolid 4 845 June 9, 2014 at 1:55 pm
Last Post: Mystical
  Illogical things can be real, like God, I have an idea orlox 30 7223 February 4, 2014 at 7:23 pm
Last Post: Ryantology
  Modal Argument: The Mind is Not the Brain Rational AKD 190 50703 October 23, 2013 at 11:35 pm
  "Touching a Nerve: The Self as Brain" by philosopher Patricia Churchland Whateverist 12 5199 June 29, 2013 at 12:43 am
  The Brain=Mind Fallacy Neo-Scholastic 281 111780 June 15, 2012 at 10:18 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Split Brain Experiment and the Soul The_Flying_Skeptic 11 7085 May 28, 2010 at 1:11 am
Last Post: tackattack