Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 5:40 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One Nation under god
One Nation under god
http://jonmcnaughton.com/content/ZoomDet...erGod.html

This is an interesting painting. Notice how he groups unmarried pregnant women and professors with satan. I also think it must be very insulting how many people including the author seems to paint soldiers as these bastions of faith. I know atleast man that was a medic in normandy, and if you call him a christian he'll take your ear off. I am sure there are more given that guys are more then capable of figuring out their own views.
it is also odd that he has thomas jefferson standing next to jesus when thomas openly wrote "Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined and imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch towards uniformity."
In fact there are several other figures I see here that were pretty anti christian. what do you all think?
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
RE: One Nation under god
I especially love the portrayal of Lincoln on his knees to fucking jesus.

Lincoln who said:

Quote:My earlier views of the unsoundness of the Christian scheme of salvation and the human origin of the scriptures, have become clearer and stronger with advancing years and I see no reason for thinking I shall ever change them.
-- Abraham Lincoln

But xtians love to lie to themselves to make them feel better about being stupid, I guess.
The book the student is holding is Skousen's The Five Thousand Year Leap, Skousen's contribution to the 'U.S. is a Christian nation' genre. Glen Beck plugs this book which is enough for me to never pick it up. Cleon Skousen was an ultra-conservative Mormon.
I have almost zero interest in didactic art, loathed this painting the first time I saw it, and now loathe the "artist" for his ham-fisted defense of the painting as seen in his point-by-point screed below it. Fuck him.

On a lighter note, I think it was Bill Maher who lampooned this on his show a while back, wondering if the boy pointing to the document in Jesus' hand was looking at a Catholic Church's settlement offer. If so, it might be the only honest aspect of the work.
(July 21, 2015 at 3:29 pm)Lemonvariable72 Wrote: I also think it must be very insulting how many people including the author seems to paint soldiers as these bastions of faith.

I saw this picture before and it would be pure kitsch if it wasn't for the underlying message.

As for the soldiers, consider what they called the Great War. My grandfather served in the Austro Hungarian army on the Eastern front. He was jewish, but what little of him I remember, never in any way religious. Yet they had their field rabbis, their field curates and even muslim preachers for their Bosnian units. The other side had the same lineup and every side believed to be right. Yet none of them was.

It's ludicrous, there's no other way to describe it.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
One Nation under god
I fixed it.

[Image: 8ebc27ded7dd5aa33f2a541131eb9564.jpg]
(July 21, 2015 at 3:57 pm)Minimalist Wrote: But xtians love to lie to themselves to make them feel better about being stupid, I guess.

Beat me too it.

That's a really stupid painting.
I reject your reality and substitute my own!
But the shitheads will eat it up.
Christian revisionism at its finest.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
[Image: oiqdo.jpg]
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  One God versus many T.J. 42 2944 December 6, 2021 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  What would you say to a god if you met one? The Valkyrie 37 4038 June 1, 2018 at 7:05 am
Last Post: brewer
  The One True God thread Angrboda 11 2688 March 14, 2018 at 2:34 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  If there are no gods, doesn't making one's self a god make one a theist? Foxaèr 13 3609 May 26, 2017 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  Scientific evidence of God by an atheist (Where mankind is one likely type of God) ProgrammingGodJordan 324 49031 November 22, 2016 at 10:44 am
Last Post: Chas
Heart A false god does not exist, but the True One exists! Right? theBorg 26 5998 September 8, 2016 at 8:39 pm
Last Post: Arkilogue
  Religion: a tool for the ruling class to keep the population under control? Veritas_Vincit 25 4074 June 30, 2016 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: henryp
  God is love. God is just. God is merciful. Chad32 62 19363 October 21, 2014 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Cheerful Charlie
  God is not the only eternal one ! (if he exist) reality.Mathematician 16 3433 June 19, 2014 at 3:06 am
Last Post: reality.Mathematician
  A faithless nation Vegamo 10 2955 December 24, 2013 at 8:32 am
Last Post: Mgr