Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 7:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religion: a tool for the ruling class to keep the population under control?
To what extent do you see organised religion as an institution to give the ruling classes power over the general population?
RE: Religion: a tool for the ruling class to keep the population under control?
It's hard to see how that could be avoided...so, I'd say to the fullest extent. It's certainly something that has been done consciously and intentionally, but just as often it's incidental and unnoticed.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Yes, I've said before that religion is a tool that can be used for good or evil. Used to control the masses, to bring individual comfort, and to explain things that haven't yet been explained through natural means.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Yes, it's a tool to control the masses.
Is the formal organization of religious thought and belief anything -other- than the consolidation of perceived authority?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(June 17, 2016 at 10:16 am)Veritas_Vincit Wrote: To what extent do you see organised religion as an institution to give the ruling classes power over the general population?

What do you think about this topic ??

[Image: ydpp.gif]
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(June 17, 2016 at 11:00 am)vorlon13 Wrote:
(June 17, 2016 at 10:16 am)Veritas_Vincit Wrote: To what extent do you see organised religion as an institution to give the ruling classes power over the general population?

What do you think about this topic ??

[Image: ydpp.gif]

Hubba, hubba!
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
Quote:“Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.”

Denis Diderot
Whenever I debate religion or hear it debated, it is always at the back of my mind the the person arguing in favour of religion is actually defending the very system that is controlling their mind in favour of the ruling class.

Religion is a huge issue, and not just because it is false, or because it causes so much harm. It is a problem also because of how much attention it uses up, how much time and energy and money it usurps - and this is why the ruling class love it - because it distracts us from the real issues. It's a tool to divide and conquer. It keeps people from uniting and working together for a better society. It keeps them from questioning who is really calling the shots, who really has the power, and where decisions that affect their lives are really being made.
Organized activities will consolidate power within a few regardless of the nature of the activity. That power will be used for good or ill. I think what you are trying to suggest is that religion is only organized for the purpose of consolidating power so that it may be wielded over others. That I think is false. I think the religious impulse comes first, and the drive to organize it comes second.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Keep or Remove Religion Poll FrustratedFool 36 2126 December 11, 2023 at 2:40 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Health class christian teacher..... brewer 7 735 March 26, 2021 at 10:37 pm
Last Post: no one
  Muslim students less likely to be awarded top class degrees. Succubus#2 28 2277 March 22, 2020 at 6:02 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  Prayers don't work so why do religious keep jabbing at it? Fake Messiah 65 9565 August 26, 2019 at 7:15 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Is religion simply more about control than a god? GODZILLA 24 2811 January 8, 2019 at 11:58 am
Last Post: Drich
  Was Christianity started to control the masses and dictate poltical agendas GODZILLA 126 21537 April 17, 2018 at 2:16 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10601 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4869 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion in Class Room brewer 3 1255 January 14, 2016 at 3:23 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why do religious people desperately want to class Atheism as a religion? TheMonster 75 19084 November 25, 2015 at 2:44 pm
Last Post: Cato