Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 12:26 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Real Meaning of the Word Disinterested
Forgive me folks, but I have a degree in English and used to teach basic writing to undergrads and I am really and truly tired of seeing otherwise intelligent people misuse this word.

I often see the word disinterested used when what the person means is indifferent. Disinterested means when someone has nothing to gain from something, to have no interest in it. It has nothing to do with whether he finds the thing interesting. Interest here is used in a totally different way. If a situation or decision does not affect me personally then I'm disinterested, even if I find the situation most intriguing. On the other hand, I could find the situation quite boring, but if I stand to gain financially or in some other way then I'm not disinterested.

Please, if you love me, don't offend my sensibilities by abusing this word.

Teachers: fearless warriors in the never-ending battle against ignorance, spitballs and dangling participles.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: The Real Meaning of the Word Disinterested
That's very disinteresting.
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.
I don't remember using that word. I typically use "I don't care". Does that work?

Won't use the love word, has little meaning for me. I do care!
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I think you've lost this battle. Most people think 'disinterested' means 'uninterested'. To expect otherwise on a web forum is unrealistic.
I am very disinterested in this thread.
Quote:Forgive me folks

I do not possess such power. There is only one who can forgive you in this way.

[Image: 11751148_987794864584250_1498540307_n.jp...e=55B2C314]
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
(July 22, 2015 at 12:01 pm)Raymot Wrote: I think you've lost this battle. Most people think 'disinterested' means 'uninterested'. To expect otherwise on a web forum is unrealistic.

I can't lose a never-ending battle. I simply lick my wounds and come back with all guns blazing.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
(July 22, 2015 at 11:03 am)Rhondazvous Wrote: Forgive me folks, but I have a degree in English and used to teach basic writing to undergrads and I am really and truly tired of seeing otherwise intelligent people misuse this word.

I often see the word disinterested used when what the person means is indifferent. Disinterested means when someone has nothing to gain from something, to have no interest in it. It has nothing to do with whether he finds the thing interesting. Interest here is used in a totally different way. If a situation or decision does not  affect me personally then I'm disinterested, even if I find the situation most intriguing. On the other hand, I could find the situation quite boring, but if I stand to gain financially or in some other way then I'm not disinterested.

Please, if you love me, don't offend my sensibilities by abusing this word.

Teachers: fearless warriors in the never-ending battle against ignorance, spitballs and dangling participles.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/disinterested

What were you again? Some sort of language expert? Well, you're wrong. Isn't it weird, being that I learned english over the internet and apparently know it better than you do? Maybe you should read some literature to ascertain the real meaning of words.

It means both, by the way, if you didn't get that.

I'm not sure why you had the impression it was used only one certain way. Nevertheless, I'll have you know that language is a tool - it evolves and changes with usage. It's not set in stone, far from it. "Pedants", however, seem to miss the point, as usual.
You have my complete and utter support with this issue. In related news, begging the question does not mean compelling one to ask the question. Frankenstein is the scientist, not the monster. If you "could care less", you do fucking care. Presently means soon, not now. Amen.

(ok, that last one seems to be lost, but still!)
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Miles too many double negatives also.
"Sorry officer, but I don't know nothing!"
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Any word from Zilla Sama? Foxaèr 17 1372 May 5, 2021 at 4:16 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  [Serious] Singing the N-word Foxaèr 98 5494 November 14, 2019 at 4:11 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Your one word identity Foxaèr 52 6302 September 6, 2018 at 6:08 pm
Last Post: Kernel Sohcahtoa
  For All You Word Lovers: You Gotta Adore This One: Copacetic Rhondazvous 17 2222 December 20, 2017 at 6:26 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Type your favorite english word ErGingerbreadMandude 52 4931 December 17, 2017 at 4:17 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Comical word filter disasters. Gawdzilla Sama 1 650 November 26, 2017 at 9:22 am
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  How do you pronounce this word? Foxaèr 26 3496 October 15, 2017 at 8:42 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Is there a word for? Brian37 30 3733 May 1, 2017 at 10:00 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Can Someone Help Me Find this Word? Rhondazvous 28 5448 February 19, 2017 at 7:26 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  The True Meaning of The 25th Of December BrianSoddingBoru4 16 2610 December 24, 2016 at 3:49 pm
Last Post: Alex K