Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 1, 2024, 10:49 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boy Scouts vs. Quire boys
Boy Scouts vs. Quire boys
Boy Scouts of America Sued & Charged with $18.5 Million in ...‎ - 1
The Boy Scouts of America were sued and lost by a group of boys that were sexually abused by assistant Scoutmaster, Timur Dykes. The sexual abuse incident ...

- excerpt from google search

My question: how much has the Catholic Church been sued for? There's been a lot of debate on victims of molestation by the Catholic Church yet I have not heard mention of the Catholic Church 'paying' for the wrong doings of a few of their members as the Boy Scouts of America are now.
RE: Boy Scouts vs. Quire boys
As a rough estimate I would say upwards of $2bn
"God is dead" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Faith is what you have in things that DON'T exist. - Homer J. Simpson
The inner working of the Catholic Heirarchy are most likely a lot more private than BSA, therefore easier to settle quietly. I'm glad that BSA has changed a lot of it's policies since then.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
Quote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_se...ted_States

Quote:By 2009, U.S. dioceses have paid more than 2.6 billion US dollars in abuse-related costs since 1950.[52]

In many instances, dioceses were forced to declare bankruptcy as a result of the settlements. At least six U.S. dioceses sought bankruptcy protection. In some cases, the dioceses filed bankruptcy just before civil suits against them were about to go to trial. This had the effect of mandating that pending and future lawsuits be settled in bankruptcy court.

Now that the scandal has spread to Europe and South America expect those totals to rise quickly.
Quote:By 2009, U.S. dioceses have paid more than 2.6 billion US dollars in abuse-related costs since 1950.[52]

Good guess from me then?
"God is dead" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Faith is what you have in things that DON'T exist. - Homer J. Simpson
(April 24, 2010 at 2:03 pm)Shinylight Wrote:

Good guess from me then?

Yes.

Will go higher. The bastards may have to dip into their petty cash fund to pay all the claims.

So much for the religion of the poor.
Saddening: A Catholic policy that priests cannot have sex or get married is costing the world 2 billion dollars. I believe that the amount spent would have been at least cut in half if priests were allowed normal relationships.

A) priests with wives would be more trustworthy in terms of being around your children.
B) married priests will be less likely to get away with abusing children if they have a wife watching them
(April 24, 2010 at 4:00 pm)The_Flying_Skeptic Wrote: Saddening: A Catholic policy that priests cannot have sex or get married is costing the world 2 billion dollars. I believe that the amount spent would have been at least cut in half if priests were allowed normal relationships.

A) priests with wives would be more trustworthy in terms of being around your children.
B) married priests will be less likely to get away with abusing children if they have a wife watching them

Do you really think so? I agree that the whole priests can't get married thing is bullshit. (I tend to think most religious mumbo-jumbo is bullshit) However, do you really think that molestation rates are lower among the ranks of married men? I've never seen a study on that, but I sincerely doubt it.
Rape is not about sex. It's about "power."

These fuckers think they are god's gift to humanity and this scandal is merely one way they manifest their arrogance.
(April 24, 2010 at 4:33 pm)Shell B Wrote:
(April 24, 2010 at 4:00 pm)The_Flying_Skeptic Wrote: Saddening: A Catholic policy that priests cannot have sex or get married is costing the world 2 billion dollars. I believe that the amount spent would have been at least cut in half if priests were allowed normal relationships.

Do you really think so? I agree that the whole priests can't get married thing is bullshit. (I tend to think most religious mumbo-jumbo is bullshit) However, do you really think that molestation rates are lower among the ranks of married men? I've never seen a study on that, but I sincerely doubt it.

that's a good question. i hypothesize that people that do not have to hide or repress their desire for sex are less likely to take advantage of young children. what is the density of child molestation between priests and married men? But you're right: the boy scouts are a great example of how an institution that is not obliged to celibacy may still take advantage of children. The question is still there.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Blind boy thanks he favourite deity for making him blind ReptilianPeon 12 3387 August 28, 2015 at 7:43 am
Last Post: Longhorn
  Vatican ‘rent-boy’ prostitution ring exposed: ‘underage boys’ exploited Gooders1002 11 5764 July 15, 2013 at 12:41 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  German court rules religious circumcision on boys an assault Ashendant 111 44055 July 14, 2012 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: Hovik
  Oh boy ... everythingafter 9 2235 September 26, 2010 at 4:37 pm
Last Post: Captain Scarlet
  Why Some Of The Boys Backed Out Retorth 35 11357 September 11, 2009 at 11:21 am
Last Post: Eilonnwy
  Boy flees Mexico to avoid chemo due in part to religious beliefs. lrh9 38 14815 July 9, 2009 at 9:13 am
Last Post: Anto Kennedy