Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 5:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Some Of The Boys Backed Out
Why Some Of The Boys Backed Out
"Today" News Paper - September 9th 2009 Wrote:IN THEIR eyes, he was a brother to them, and the undisputed leader of the group.

Mature beyond his age, Ku Witaya was a friend they could always turn to for advice. By all accounts, the 16-year-old student had the full trust of his friends.

So much so that when the young, self-professed Taoist medium suggested a suicide pact as part of a grand plan to "sacrifice" themselves in order to save the world from demons, five of his teenage friends and Witaya's younger brother agreed.

But moments after Witaya and his close friend, Sia Chan Hong, also 16, pummelled nine floors to their deaths in the early hours of Aug 23 last year, the remaining five boys - aged between 13 and 18 now - backed out.

On the second day of the joint coroner's inquiry into the pair's deaths yesterday, details of the relationship among the friends emerged.

The five boys who took the stand yesterday included three who had entered the pact. Their identities cannot be revealed because of a court order.

The close-knit group hung out together often to play online computer games and basketball.

They also congregated at Witaya's home every week where on Fridays, the latter would perform rituals and go into a trance.

However, some of the boys were not completely convinced by Witaya's religious theories or his talk about the end of the world and their calling as slayers of demons, said the witnesses.

Although instructed by Witaya to meditate for four hours every day for 118 days in order to gain "spiritual powers" to defeat demons, a few of them did not comply.

Several of those who entered the pact were actually terrified of dying, the court heard.

The rest of the article can be found here.
The dark side awaits YOU...AngryAtheism
"Only the dead have seen the end of war..." - Plato
“Those who wish to base their morality literally on the Bible have either not read it or not understood it...” - Richard Dawkins
RE: Why Some Of The Boys Backed Out
Highlights the stupidity of religion!

Now all we have to do is sit back and wait for those who will claim, "My religion isn't like that, we wouldn't do anything that stupid!"

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
(September 9, 2009 at 10:50 am)Kyuuketsuki Wrote: Highlights the stupidity of religion!

Now all we have to do is sit back and wait for those who will claim, "My religion isn't like that, we wouldn't do anything that stupid!"

Kyu

Well, it's true, mine isn't. Angel Cloud
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(September 9, 2009 at 10:50 am)Kyuuketsuki Wrote: Highlights the stupidity of religion!

Kyu

I completely agree, my brother, plain stupidity at its very best. Tongue
“Those who wish to base their morality literally on the Bible have either not read it or not understood it...” - Richard Dawkins
Mature beyond his age? Since when has selfish suicide been seen as mature?
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(September 9, 2009 at 11:51 am)Saerules Wrote: Mature beyond his age? Since when has selfish suicide been seen as mature?

Exactly. *shrugs* Who knows lol
This is a case of a charismatic person controlling people.

The blind ignorance of Kyu is astounding, and his influence sort of similar.
Actually... he obviously wasn't charismatic enough: they didn't do it. If *I* got followers for myself... and did that: I'm 99% sure that every single one of them would do it Tongue Course... i could never do that... i Heart Cookie too much... Smile
Indeed Sae, thankfully. x 2 Smile

Cookie WOAH @ the cookie Big Grin! I want a no way cookie! [Image: noCookie.gif]
Adrian is awesome, isn't he? That is the second emoticon he's put on here after i suggested we need one ^_^ methinks he's trying to earn brownie points here Dodgy

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why do some people condone hell? SuicideCommando01 45 5513 May 22, 2020 at 6:14 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Why do some believers claim that all religions are just as good? Der/die AtheistIn 22 3751 June 25, 2018 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Why are some moderate religious afraid of atheism? Der/die AtheistIn 38 5247 February 26, 2018 at 8:45 am
Last Post: Cod
  Why some humans are so evil: double standards and irreligion WinterHold 124 20398 January 28, 2018 at 5:38 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Why do some moderates get so attached to other believers? Der/die AtheistIn 4 1262 December 19, 2017 at 9:28 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why do some religious people think the world revolves around them? Cecelia 28 9503 June 3, 2017 at 11:57 am
Last Post: J a c k
  Vatican ‘rent-boy’ prostitution ring exposed: ‘underage boys’ exploited Gooders1002 11 5739 July 15, 2013 at 12:41 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why, why, why? Little Rik 39 11563 June 14, 2013 at 9:27 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  When I am asked Why I have a problem with Religion, Its hard to come out with a single answer. Gooders1002 11 3232 April 29, 2013 at 9:24 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  German court rules religious circumcision on boys an assault Ashendant 111 44029 July 14, 2012 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: Hovik