Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 12:55 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boy flees Mexico to avoid chemo due in part to religious beliefs.
Boy flees Mexico to avoid chemo due in part to religious beliefs.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30824587/ns/...parenting/

I posted in the newsvine discussion that it would be better for the species if the court system didn't get involved. It would prevent future generations from being infected with his and his parents beliefs.
RE: Boy flees Mexico to avoid chemo due in part to religious beliefs.
So you'd happily let a brainwashed child die because of his parent's actions? The court order says the boy will be put in a foster home since his parents obviously cannot be trusted with looking after him. I hope they find the mother, and she faces jail time for this.
Excuse my seemingly callous sense of the obvious:

Those parents are proof of evolution in action. Their child will die as the direct result of their ignorance and stupidity. That means fewer offspring to pass on their stupid-genes.

Yes Joyce, I pity that poor kid,but my feelings of pity won't save his life.
What's funny is the "creator" of that religion is in prison for scams stemming from-- you guessed it-- bullshit "alternative medicines". It's not some fancy voodoo mystical old religion either; it was conceived in the year 2000. So it just goes to show how blinding faith is, when the parents can't even research and/or accept that fact.

It also shows how easily people can be indoctrinated even in adulthood. These people are what I like to call "kool-aid drinkers".
E.T. Ogre
Apologizing in advance for the stupidity of our species
As padraic said, the kid will die, which is natural selection keeping our species strong. (I don't contend that his genes cause his belief, or even make him more susceptible. However, natural selection can act as well on beliefs as it can on genes.)
Oh don't give me that bullshit about this being natural selection. It's passive eugenics. We could be trying to save he boy's life (at which point he would most probably thank the doctors for curing him), or we could just let him die. I far prefer the option where an innocent doesn't perish for the faults of others. If you argue this is natural selection, why do we even bother with healthcare at all? Fuck people with genetic flaws! Let's get them out of the gene pool too...
I don't care what it is. It'll just be a good thing.
Natural selection has been dead since the industrial revolution. Maybe even before that, but that's what really flipped the bitch on evolution.

I'm an entrepreneur, and I can tell you people will believe just about anything you tell them as long as you sound confident and convincing. People are, on the whole, incredibly stupid and gullible. Not that I use my skills for evil, I'm far too bound by my superstitions of karma to do that, but that's why numb-skulls like these people in the story don't surprise me at all.

I mean, they're dead set convinced that a religion invented by a con-man in 2000 will heal their son's cancer with roots and herbs and hokus pokus. That's all fine and dandy, but at the same time they opt out of the 90% chance of surviving that chemo would give him. It really doesn't get any stupider than that.
E.T. Ogre
Ah. You mean the advances that have allowed more people to exist and live longer. Natural selection can even overcome those. It is possible that increased resource consumption by growing populations will eventually cause a depletion, which would result in mass famine. It is also possible that increasing population density could lead to increased crime - including homicide. It is also possible that technological advancement could lead to the invention of super weapons that would destroy our entire species. So make no mistake that our beliefs and our behaviors are still subject to natural selection.
Quote:It is also possible that technological advancement could lead to the invention of super weapons that would destroy our entire species.

Ah but you see, we already have that. I read somewhere that less than 40 of the nukes we have now (which are a lot more powerful than the ones dropped in WW2) would kick up enough dirt and dust to block out the sun for 10,000 years. Good thing we have around 100,000 stockpiled around the globe!

Tying this and your point on overpopulation (of which famine isn't a problem of overpopulation; it's a cure, but I digress) into natural selection, it's no longer a survival of the fittest. It's a survival of the species, or in actuality, all species.
E.T. Ogre

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The "God" Part of the Brain, by Matthew Alper neil 20 1385 February 9, 2024 at 4:26 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Children removed from Jewish sect's jungle compound in Mexico zebo-the-fat 3 630 September 30, 2022 at 5:12 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  How often do your beliefs change? Ahriman 37 2906 January 23, 2022 at 10:03 pm
Last Post: paulpablo
  My views on religious doctrine and beliefs robvalue 9 991 October 2, 2018 at 7:06 am
Last Post: Cod
  Why Do Atheists Criticize People's Beliefs? Rhondazvous 225 52431 June 5, 2017 at 9:48 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What would you call my new beliefs? Won2blv 88 12053 March 6, 2017 at 2:22 pm
Last Post: Nonpareil
  More insight into religion: logical and emotional beliefs robvalue 22 3482 August 16, 2016 at 10:13 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  What is it with Christians here in the U.S. with shoving their beliefs on everyone GoHalos1993 12 2608 May 19, 2016 at 1:51 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What sucks due to my religion (for me). Mystic 81 10424 December 29, 2015 at 2:35 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  How Do We Respect Other People's Beliefs? Rhondazvous 93 18087 September 10, 2015 at 11:23 am
Last Post: Pyrrho