Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 5:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Batlord Cometh
The Batlord Cometh
I've been a member of the Atheist Network off and on for over a decade, but since that site is dead, and the second Atheist Network is dead in all but name, I figured I'd give this site a shot. I'm not the militant atheist I once was, and don't engage in nearly as much debate as I used to, but I still find the subject interesting.

I've been an atheist all my life, without ever really having any serious thought to being anything else. I had the good fortune of being raised by a mother who never pushed any of her beliefs of me, and only ever said anything on the subject when asked, and then only to answer specific questions. I consider myself a strong atheist, not just due to a lack of evidence, but because my interpretation of humankind's tendency towards personifying and/or seeing agency in almost anything -- from seeing faces on the moon to quasi-believing that video games actively work against the player as if they have sentience -- leads me to conclude that this instinct is sufficient evidence that the idea of a deity is a man-made construct, even if it is circumstantial.

That said, so long as religion doesn't negatively affect me or the rest of the world, I could care less about its existence. If there is no afterlife, then being an atheist is not going to benefit me when I'm dead, so I see no inherent value in being right. If religion comforts you enough to get through the eighty or so years of your life in a world with rape, genocide, and Nickelback, then more power to you. I'm not going to take that away from you just for my own personal satisfaction.

I think that's about it.
RE: The Batlord Cometh
You are most welcome.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Welcome!

However, if being wrong makes you sacrifice a significant part of your all too short life to a bullshit idea, being right has a clear advantage.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Welcome to the forums Batlord!

I'm sure we'll have a great time Big Grin
"Every luxury has a deep price. Every indulgence, a cosmic cost. Each fiber of pleasure you experience causes equivalent pain somewhere else. This is the first law of emodynamics [sic]. Joy can be neither created nor destroyed. The balance of happiness is constant.

Fact: Every time you eat a bite of cake, someone gets horsewhipped.

Facter: Every time two people kiss, an orphanage collapses.

Factest: Every time a baby is born, an innocent animal is severely mocked for its physical appearance. Don't be a pleasure hog. Your every smile is a dagger. Happiness is murder.

Vote "yes" on Proposition 1321. Think of some kids. Some kids."
Hi Batlord! Hi welcome to AF

Here, have some welcome waffles c:
[Image: Mini-Oreo-Waffle-Ice-Cream-Sundae.jpg]

Have fun and enjoy
Hello and welcome! I hope you enjoy it here.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
Hello The Batlord. Is that a cheeky Deadpool?
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
Welcome.

Hope you weren't part of the reason the other sites are dead (relax/joking). 

Enjoy your time with us.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(July 29, 2015 at 1:38 pm)Alex K Wrote: Welcome!

However, if being wrong makes you sacrifice a significant part of your all too short life to a bullshit idea, being right has a clear advantage.

I've never known atheists to be any happier than anyone else, and if there is no intrinsic happiness benefit to being right, then I don't see it necessarily as an advantage on the individual level.

(July 29, 2015 at 1:50 pm)Neimenovic Wrote: Hi Batlord! Hi welcome to AF

Here, have some welcome waffles c:
[Image: Mini-Oreo-Waffle-Ice-Cream-Sundae.jpg]

Have fun and enjoy

Pancakes > waffles.

(July 29, 2015 at 1:52 pm)Exian Wrote: Hello The Batlord. Is that a cheeky Deadpool?

Indeed it is. Comic books > all other things.

(July 29, 2015 at 1:52 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: Welcome.

Hope you weren't part of the reason the other sites are dead (relax/joking). 

Enjoy your time with us.

I like to think I did my part in its downfall.
(July 29, 2015 at 2:33 pm)The Batlord Wrote: Pancakes > waffles.

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. It's on! Bosnian spymaster---attack!

For realsies, though. Welcome to our (not so) humble corner of the interwebz.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---