Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:35 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is reputation?
What is reputation?
Hello there. I hope people don't kill me for this thread :S ...

But what is reputation on this forum? and how does it work?

Is it when someone gives me kudos?

I just some reputation and I'm quite pleased Big Grin

Thanks
RE: What is reputation?
Fluke Wrote:Hello there. I hope people don't kill me for this thread
I iz Jihadist! I iz comin to killz youz!

Quote:But what is reputation on this forum? and how does it work?
Reputation is something that should be given to me if you have not already done so Tongue

More seriously...

Dictionary Wrote:reputation |ˌrepyəˈtā sh ən|
noun
the beliefs or opinions that are generally held about someone or something

That is exactly what it is here. The positive # in green (or negative # in red, or the grey 0) is your cumulative "reputation" on the forum Smile Individuals give their specific reasons for the positive (or negative) rating they give you, and if people like Adrian and leo gave a girl the rep they know she deserves: She might be tied with Evie for most reputed member Tiny Tiger

Quote:Is it when someone gives me kudos?
Not at all. A kudos you give to a post. A reputation you give to the person who posts Smile

Quote:I just some reputation and I'm quite pleased

Jihadist haz had enuff yer hapinez. Preparz ter diez!

Tiger
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
To add to what Saerules wrote, a reputation is basically someone saying this is a cool person for various reasons. It helps us recognize and compliment some of the members who have something good to say and say it well. Typically, the more reputations you give, the more you get back.

For some it's a popularity contest, as noted above. Also giving a negative rep can result in a returned negative rep and things can really get wanky from there. Once we had a Christian who gave negative reps to all the atheists just for being atheists. I had fun (not really) cleaning up that mess.

While the reputation is about the person, the kudos are about the posts. If you want to easily say "Hey, that's an awesome post" without fluffing (See my Netiquette guide for details on that) you can give the thumbs up.

Eventually Adrian implemented a way to tally how many kudos a person gets, and that goes into the Top Members list, linked at the top of the page. As a result, it has turned into another popularity contest. Top posts works in a similar way, but instead of tallying kudos that a member gets, it tallies kudos that a post has received.

In the end, the repuatation and kudos system are great ways to give recognition to people who say great things, frivolous popularity contests aside.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
Kudos for using the word "wanky" there Big Grin

Yeah popularity contests... that's the big downside isn't it. Look at Sae - she's getting totally obsessive about it!
(April 26, 2010 at 3:44 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: Kudos for using the word "wanky" there Big Grin

Yeah popularity contests... that's the big downside isn't it. Look at Sae - she's getting totally obsessive about it!

Tiger

Not really... I'm just a stat-number slut Smile

(meaning I love to know my stats and numbers Tongue)

*disclaimer for those who don't know: when I say things like "geif me rep!", I'm (as is usual for me) being silly Tongue*
I didn't mean that seriously Sae. Maybe I needs to use moar smileys?!?

Tiger
(April 26, 2010 at 4:52 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: I didn't mean that seriously Sae. Maybe I needs to use moar smileys?!?

Tiger

Yes, you do Tongue

Everyone needs to use more emoticons ^_^

Tiger

Again, in seriousness... I don't actively attempt to raise my post count, reputation, kudos in a post, thread count, or any other count or number Smile But, me being a number-stat slut, I greatly enjoy comparing and recomparing my stats to those of others ^_^

I really and honestly don't know what "popularity contest" you're talking about Smile A contest implies competition... and i don't see anyone competing Smile
your overuse of smileys leads me to conclude that you really are driven by competitiveness and are in actual fact making an all out assault on my weak testosterone goading it into action. I shall resist you evil feline!!!
I only learned the other day how to do "reputation."

[Image: bag.gif]

I'm going to have to make it a point to sit down and do a few.
(April 26, 2010 at 5:13 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: your overuse of smileys leads me to conclude that you really are driven by competitiveness and are in actual fact making an all out assault on my weak testosterone goading it into action. I shall resist you evil feline!!!

[Image: Crying_Smiley_by_AjnosFTW.jpg]

You can't resist this Tongue
(April 26, 2010 at 5:46 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I only learned the other day how to do "reputation."

[Image: bag.gif]

I'm going to have to make it a point to sit down and do a few.

Tiger Don't forget me! Tiger

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Kudos/reputation LadyForCamus 69 13671 March 3, 2016 at 8:41 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Is there a way to just delete a reputation rating one has given to someone? Pyrrho 22 6006 May 3, 2015 at 8:56 pm
Last Post: Napoléon
  Reputation Zazzy 49 11219 September 23, 2013 at 7:24 pm
Last Post: Mystical
  Negative reputation? Phish 179 62772 March 13, 2013 at 2:30 am
Last Post: Phish
  Negative Reputation Loading Please Wait 22 6768 March 17, 2012 at 12:05 am
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused