Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:34 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reporter/camera man murdered.
Reporter/camera man murdered.
It is all over the news, gunman on the lose. Va TV reporter and cameraman murdered live on TV this morning.

Now for my opinion, I am fucking sick of the right and the NRA, selling the no rules flooded market that has movie theaters checking bags, racists murdering people in church, and zealots shooting our military. It is way past time to put the gun makers and NRA in their place!
RE: Reporter/camera man murdered.
Image of gunman, shot by the now deceased cameraman.

http://www.wdbj7.com/news/local/law-enfo...a/34923086

ETA: EXTREMELY sorry for my error here. Going by memory.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
While I am not using my journalism degree, I take this personally having interned in TV and worked in radio.

But I don't give a fuck why he did it, it still amounts to the industry protecting a no rules flooded market.
It seemed like such a random station in a very random DMA (central VA somewhere that wasn't Richmond). Why did this go viral? Just...the world gets heartbroken at a pretty, blonde girl dying like this, or were these two special within the industry, or...? I will say I can't recall any instances of violence on reporters even though there have been.

ETA: Per an NPR report, the suspect is identified and is being pursued.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
(August 26, 2015 at 10:50 am)Brian37 Wrote: While I am not using my journalism degree, I take this personally having interned in TV and worked in radio.

I have a history degree but work in journalism for the last 20 years. Sadly it's not unusual that reporters are killed. There's a campaign going on by the Committee to protect Journalists, since many of these murders go unpunished around the world. They also have statistics how many are killed every year.

https://cpj.org/campaigns/impunity/

(August 26, 2015 at 10:54 am)c172 Wrote: It seemed like such a random station in a very random DMA (central VA somewhere that wasn't Richmond). Why did this go viral? Just...the world gets heartbroken at a pretty, blonde girl dying like this, or were these two special within the industry, or...? I will say I can't recall any instances of violence on reporters even though there have been.

It goes viral because fellow journalists can relate. It's on the same lines as cops identifying with a cop being killed.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
And, it seems a rather rare occurrence. My mother knows two women from different spheres of her life who are on air at the local NBC affiliate here in San Diego. Glad they are safe.
(August 26, 2015 at 11:14 am)c172 Wrote: And, it seems a rather rare occurrence.

Globally it isn't rare at all. Hundreds of journalists are killed every year.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
The shooter filmed the murders and posted it to his Twitter account.

Warning. Graphic Content.

https://twitter.com/bryce_williams7
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
(August 26, 2015 at 10:54 am)c172 Wrote: It seemed like such a random station in a very random DMA (central VA somewhere that wasn't Richmond). Why did this go viral? Just...the world gets heartbroken at a pretty, blonde girl dying like this, or were these two special within the industry, or...? I will say I can't recall any instances of violence on reporters even though there have been.

It went viral because it happened on live TV.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Yes. I take this personally, but anyone who is affected by gun death, from legal or illegal guns, no matter the motivation, needs to stand up to the industry and the NRA.