Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 9:07 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Terror of Monopolies
Exclamation 
The Terror of Monopolies
I'm in the final stages of purchasing a mobile home here in Phoenix. It has a gas water heater, central heater and range. I looked up Southwest Gas today because they are the sole provider in this area and what I found shocked me. This company is like something out of the Old Testament. I found dozens of reviews online, all scathingly negative. One reviewer compared it to the Mafia. Brutal fees and connect/disconnect policies, horrible customer service, outright lies - the list goes on. My favorite: If your usage goes down, they'll up your rates so you pay more! People with 1500 SF houses are paying $150.00/month - in PHOENIX!!! WTF?

Job #1 is pulling that gas water heater and replacing it with an electric model. We barely use the range anyway so a hot plate will take care of that need for the near term. We never even turned the heat on the last two winters so no worries with the central heater either. That fucking, EVIL gas company isn't going to get one penny from me. I'm going to write the fuckers too to let them know why. I guess most people just resign themselves to the fact that their place uses gas but not me. Angry
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
RE: The Terror of Monopolies
Agree ...
I consider it akin to legalised theft...

All we can do is pick and choose the thieves carefully ...
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
One of the downsides of capitalism. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. With the exception of the One True God. The FSM.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

This kind of shit is what makes the U.S. Libertarian party and their shithead heroine Ayn Rand such a freaking joke. You would end up with a society run by evil corporations. It would be nightmarish.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
In the online reviews did the people use their real names? I wonder how long a memory the gas company has? Not that a gas company would ever retaliate in the future.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Republicunts love monopolies.  Guess which party runs Errorzona?
(September 11, 2015 at 9:09 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: In the online reviews did the people use their real names? I wonder how long a memory the gas company has? Not that a gas company would ever retaliate in the future.

First names and last initials.

Albert Einstein
As high as the gas rates are, might be worth a little math and degree days to make sure electric really is cheaper.

My dumb cousin Ron started buying those $300 Amish electric heaters for every room in his house. He learned a tough lesson that a BTU of heat around here is 3X the price if bought from the electric company instead of the LP truck.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Gas appliances are much more efficient than electric for an obvious reason: If you burn fuel to make electricity, you have a 50% conversion loss. Burn the same fuel to produce heat directly makes much more sense. But if your fuel comes from a fucking Nazi who is determined to screw you anyway he possibly can and you can't get it from any other source...the physics goes out the window.

There is also the issue that you just don't need a lot of heating in Phoenix. Like I said, we have never used heat at all in previous winters. Admittedly, that's living in an upstairs apartment where we would receive residual heat from the apartment downstairs. We'll probably need to use some small amount of heating during the coolest days in the new place but nothing a small space heater can't handle. We have no problem with wearing a sweater in the winter - hell, we're just happy to be getting a break from 100+ degree F days!

Albert Einstein
If I lived in Arizona I'd invest in some solar panels.
But I live in England and think I caught a glimpse of the sun once.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The dangers of growing corp monopolies...... Brian37 1 504 January 30, 2017 at 12:34 am
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  Right wing terror attack foiled in France Something completely different 1 1112 August 14, 2013 at 5:07 am
Last Post: NoraBrimstone
  Canadian Authorities Thwart Major Terror Attack A Theist 5 2703 April 22, 2013 at 3:54 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Attempted islamist terror attack in Bonn (Germany) Something completely different 2 1346 December 17, 2012 at 3:58 am
Last Post: Tobie
  Ridge: Bush officials sought to raise terror alert before '04 vote Eilonnwy 30 11686 August 25, 2009 at 8:18 am
Last Post: Eilonnwy
  Terror? What terror? bozo 8 2775 April 25, 2009 at 1:45 pm
Last Post: bozo