Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 12:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Review: Kick-Ass (2010)
Review: Kick-Ass (2010)
Kick-Ass (2010) - Rated 'R' in USA
Action/Adventure/Comedy/Gore

[Image: Kick-Ass_film_poster.jpg]

One liner: Shut up. Kick-ass.
My one liner: Loser discovers there is more to wearing a ridiculous costume and posing as a superhero.

Review:
Kick-Ass was one of those movies I was most apprehensive about. The name sounded mundane, the picture moronic and the plot seemed so-so. Walking out of it afterwards, however, I thought a little differently. This was because the director artfully tied together elements of rude youth humor, relied on using gore as little as possible (when it was used, it was used most accurately) and tried to balance between showing us a loser and showing us a loser who tries to fight. The most ridiculous element of the movie, however, was Hit-Girl - an assassin who also happens to be a young girl (as in 10 years old), trained by her father to serve as his assistant in taking down the utterly monstrous, inhumane and thoroughly believable mafia don, Frank D'Amico. Balancing ridiculous and the cold chilling reality of mafioso's, Kick-Ass accomplishes what it was intended for and nothing else: a nerd's dream, improbable people and a bloody minded world reliant on guns, wood chippers and sheer ruthlessness.

Decision:
It is a fair movie. Feel free to see it, but it is no show stopper if you don't.

Special notes:
The gore, while minimal compared to other 'R' films, may be unsettling.
This movie is tested and ok'ed for use with marijuana.
This movie is not tested with deliriants/psychedelics and is cautioned against due to changes in musical score, intonation and use of suggestion before exposure to gore, maximizing effect.
RE: Review: Kick-Ass (2010)
Yeah, I was thoroughly disappointed with just about everything except Nic Cage in this movie. xP
I do want to see this movie, but I'll wait to rent the DVD. It intrigues me, because on the surface, it looks like it would be aimed at teenagers... except it is rated 'R', which means it is not. I suspect it may have a few things to say and I like that in a movie ('District 9' and/or 'V For Vendetta', for example). Besides, I love superheroes!
I enjoyed this movie while baked.
I will certainly keep that in mind. Heheh. I will probably approach it with that strategy myself.
Wonderfully unexpected film.
T H E • M U L T I V E R S E • T H E O R Y
I'll probably wait till it comes out on DVD, lol
(May 4, 2010 at 5:10 pm)darkwolf176 Wrote: I'll probably wait till it comes out on DVD, lol
Ditto. If by "DVD" you mean "Torrent".
I wasn't that keen on it; the humour was childish and the level of violence - even though I'm fine with violence, even at Tarantino's level - just didn't seem to "fit."
Well I just watched it, and I loved it. Was completely insane, and as such was one of the funniest movies I've seen since Zombieland.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lord Of The Cops, 50 Shades of Bad Ass. Brian37 28 2027 October 15, 2020 at 7:13 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  You deserve it dumb-ass....... Brian37 1 525 February 27, 2018 at 9:52 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  JHC's In depth review of Fifty Shades of Grey JesusHChrist 19 2617 February 21, 2015 at 3:57 am
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)
  Book Review BrokenQuill92 17 3230 November 6, 2014 at 11:53 am
Last Post: AceBoogie
  KICK OUT THE JAMS MOTHERFUCKER! stonedape 12 1622 August 30, 2014 at 4:11 am
Last Post: rexbeccarox
  Heathen Review #3: Diet Noah StealthySkeptic 1 1151 August 11, 2014 at 1:47 am
Last Post: StealthySkeptic
  Heathen Review #2: So Kawaii! StealthySkeptic 8 2515 July 23, 2014 at 5:57 pm
  Heathen Review #1: Apes Will Rise StealthySkeptic 16 2908 July 23, 2014 at 10:15 am
  Book review of "Night" everythingafter 3 2081 May 18, 2011 at 12:22 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Review of The New Atheism: Taking a Stand for Science and Reason by Victor J. Stenger Justtristo 2 1594 December 11, 2010 at 6:19 am
Last Post: Justtristo