Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 5:07 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Book review of "Night"
Book review of "Night"
Here is a review from yours truly if anyone's interested: Book review: "Night" and the problem of evil

As I say in the post, I don't know how this one slipped by me. I'll go ahead and blame it on the South Carolina public school system.
Our Daily Train blog at jeremystyron.com

---
We have lingered in the chambers of the sea | By sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown | Till human voices wake us, and we drown. — T.S. Eliot

"... man always has to decide for himself in the darkness, that he must want beyond what he knows. ..." — Simone de Beauvoir

"As if that blind rage had washed me clean, rid me of hope; for the first time, in that night alive with signs and stars, I opened myself to the gentle indifference of the world. Finding it so much like myself—so like a brother, really—I felt that I had been happy and that I was happy again." — Albert Camus, "The Stranger"
---
RE: Book review of "Night"
(May 13, 2011 at 10:35 pm)everythingafter Wrote: Here is a review from yours truly if anyone's interested: Book review: "Night" and the problem of evil

As I say in the post, I don't know how this one slipped by me. I'll go ahead and blame it on the South Carolina public school system.

I hope you know that there's also a few other memoirs that bear mentioning with regard to the Holocaust
Survival in Auschwitz by Primo Levi
This Way For the Gas by Taddeusz Borowski
Eyewitness Auschwitz by Filip Muller
Death Dealer by Rudolf Hoss
Maus by Art Spiegelman
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(May 15, 2011 at 8:20 pm)Rev. Rye Wrote: I hope you know that there's also a few other memoirs that bear mentioning with regard to the Holocaust

Very good. I'm more of a 19th century American history person, but I'll keep this list and try to check some of these out.
Our Daily Train blog at jeremystyron.com

---
We have lingered in the chambers of the sea | By sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown | Till human voices wake us, and we drown. — T.S. Eliot

"... man always has to decide for himself in the darkness, that he must want beyond what he knows. ..." — Simone de Beauvoir

"As if that blind rage had washed me clean, rid me of hope; for the first time, in that night alive with signs and stars, I opened myself to the gentle indifference of the world. Finding it so much like myself—so like a brother, really—I felt that I had been happy and that I was happy again." — Albert Camus, "The Stranger"
---
(May 15, 2011 at 11:46 pm)everythingafter Wrote:
(May 15, 2011 at 8:20 pm)Rev. Rye Wrote: I hope you know that there's also a few other memoirs that bear mentioning with regard to the Holocaust

Very good. I'm more of a 19th century American history person, but I'll keep this list and try to check some of these out.

Yes. For what it's worth, I'm very interested in the Holocaust because I'm very interested in the depths of human depravity and evil, and considering that the Holocaust was so bad a genocide that the nations of the world actually managed to intervene to stop it (unlike Rwanda), it's likely one of the biggest examples. This is why three of the memoirs I listed were by people who actually worked with the Nazis: Borowski was a Kapo, Muller was a Jewish Sonderkommando who survived for three years by helping in the actual destruction of his people, and Hoss was the Commandant of Auschwitz [Warning: His writing style, while nowhere near as horrible as Hitler's, is not very readable.] If anything, those three books are more disquieting than Night.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Top Book Recommendations FrustratedFool 17 1038 August 15, 2023 at 11:11 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Night Court onlinebiker 19 1336 September 26, 2021 at 4:58 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Andy Weir's new book due out May 4th. Gawdzilla Sama 2 258 December 24, 2020 at 10:47 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  Book banning Spongebob 39 3192 December 21, 2020 at 10:51 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Sci-fi/fantasy author criticizes book store for stocking dead guys Foxaèr 9 1114 April 20, 2019 at 8:18 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Favorite Book From Childhood T0 Th3 M4X 16 2010 December 23, 2018 at 8:06 pm
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  Gay bunny book outsells Pence family's bunny book Foxaèr 1 386 March 20, 2018 at 1:49 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Terry Goodkind's 'Sword of Truth' book series Foxaèr 17 2020 February 21, 2018 at 11:42 am
Last Post: mlmooney89
  First Children's Book to Teach the Big Bang to preschoolers GeorgiasTelescope 15 3673 June 24, 2017 at 7:54 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  So, I published my first children's book–Tori the Time Traveler Shell B 38 6083 May 28, 2017 at 11:13 am
Last Post: Shell B