Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 12:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Melbourne debate: late notice; messengers - don't shoot them
Melbourne debate: late notice; messengers - don't shoot them
Swinburne Islamic Society have asked me to take part in a debate. 
The short notice means they've enlisted the other university Islamic organisations around Melbourne to help with the advertising, so the audience is likely to be pretty heavily skewed.  If you're in Melbourne, free and interested it would be nice to have some fellow non-believers present.

Tuesday the 22nd September
6.30 - 8.30 pm
Monash University, Clayton campus (exact details TBC)
Proposition: You cannot justify being good without God
Speaker for the affirmative: Abdullah Al Andalusi
Speaker for the negative: Matthew McArthur
RE: Melbourne debate: late notice; messengers - don't shoot them
Monash?

My old uni.

I'm on the wrong side of the ditch but I'll cast my vote in the negative
Dying to live, living to die.
There is no wrong side of the Tasman, Beccs, but thanks for the props. 
I lived in and loved New Zealand for several years and find myself missing many aspects of life there.
(September 19, 2015 at 2:09 am)worldslaziestbusker Wrote: Swinburne Islamic Society have asked me to take part in a debate. 
The short notice means they've enlisted the other university Islamic organisations around Melbourne to help with the advertising, so the audience is likely to be pretty heavily skewed.  If you're in Melbourne, free and interested it would be nice to have some fellow non-believers present.

Tuesday the 22nd September
6.30 - 8.30 pm
Monash University, Clayton campus (exact details TBC)
Proposition: You cannot justify being good without God
Speaker for the affirmative: Abdullah Al Andalusi
Speaker for the negative: Matthew McArthur

Great! Well, obviously I'm on your side because the issue is absolutely ridiculous. I hope it goes well! I'm afraid I'm nowhere near, otherwise it would have been interesting.

Your opponent could more accurately describe his position as, "I believe I'm a psychopath, only being held in check because I think a magical being is holding my soul hostage."

You could open with, "Please define god in a way that makes it distinguishable from nothing."
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Is this going to be "in order to have moral laws there must be a law giver check mate atheists" again coz this is rather a tiresome argument that has been spouted and refuted ad nauseum.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Ah-ha! I finally found out where the debate's happening.
Clayton campus. Wish the organisers told me when this ad went up. I've been checking the SWINIS sites and emailing my contact to no avail.
Still awaiting a building and a room number.
And "Average Atheists" was an event, never a group.

http://abdullahalandalusi.com/2015/09/19...thout-god/
Now with added street address: 25 Exhibition Walk, Clayton.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debate, Melbourne, Australia, June 30th worldslaziestbusker 2 1219 July 4, 2016 at 5:30 am
Last Post: worldslaziestbusker
  Debate, Melbourne, Australia, June 30th worldslaziestbusker 0 716 June 16, 2016 at 9:09 pm
  Someone tried to shoot up Parliament. Lemonvariable72 2 1293 October 22, 2014 at 5:24 pm
Last Post: Lemonvariable72
  Melbourne fund raising for secular school where a secular school is much needed. worldslaziestbusker 0 1109 May 17, 2014 at 8:40 am
  Public event in Melbourne: Average Atheists - call for speakers worldslaziestbusker 6 2741 June 7, 2013 at 7:47 pm
  Melbourne Atheists worldslaziestbusker 0 1135 November 25, 2012 at 2:40 am
  Don't Ask Don't Tell is being relaxed while it is reviewed for a year Eilonnwy 2 1976 February 3, 2010 at 9:01 am
Last Post: leo-rcc