Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 3:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To spank or not to spank?
To spank or not to spank?
That is the question! What is your stance on physical discipline? This includes soap and hot sauce punishments and other forms of discipline.

Personally I say it's a no go on anything like that but me and bf are still arguing about it. So far we've come to an uneasy truce, we plan using as a last resort and only until around 7ish. And he's doing. I want nothing to do with hitting my kid. I'm hoping he'll change his mind when we actually start having the little buggers.
RE: To spank or not to spank?
I consider it to be child abuse.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
Why is it that we live in a world where the only people we're allowed to hit are the ones who have no shot at defending themselves?

0/10

Spanking should be an activity between consenting adults, the way God intended it. Hitting children is not ok, and it doesn't teach them anything but fear and that might makes "right", a delightful lesson they'll then pass along to their own kids.

If you feel the need to hit someone half your size, at least man up and give the little fucker a chance. Give him a baseball bat to protect himself with. Then we'll see how motivated you are to provide "correction".
Generally speaking, I think it's unnecessary. There are alternatives for correcting behavior that are much more effective.

This reminds me of a period when my son would just lie about doing homework and I ended up taking all of his stupid handheld games AND the power cords to the game systems: He followed me around the house as I gathered up his junk asking "Can you please, just beat me?" I almost felt sorry for him. Worked like a charm, though.
This is a hard one. My son is 6 and we have never spanked him. My step children are older and have been spanked. They are all good kids.

Negative reinforcement is a faster way to teach in my experience, but is more painful for everyone involved. Positive reinforcement takes longer and may not condition against all undesirable behaviors.

I think spanking should be used to get attention, not to cause pain. A light "spank" can bring the parent to the attention of the child better than a raised voice can sometimes.

I hope the two of you can come to a reasonable agreement. the fact that you are bringing it up for discussion is a good indication that you will make the right decision.
The hot sauce thing is disturbing to me

0/10

(September 20, 2015 at 2:03 am)Losty Wrote: The hot sauce thing is disturbing to me

That and the soap thing.
I've never had more than a swat on the hand twice in my life with a wood spoon. And while I never had a soap bar I have cousins it happened to. No ever did the hot sauce thing to us but apparently southerners are pretty big on the tablespoon of tobasco sauce.
Poisoning your children for discipline seems odd.

0/10

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  to spank or not to spank and the existence of god Mystical 19 2759 July 31, 2014 at 8:55 pm
Last Post: Violet