Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 11:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speak Out !!
Speak Out !!
I'm getting so sick of hearing about stories, should I tell people or let my family know...ect... STAND THE FUCK UP FOR YOURSELF!!! There is no reason not to let people know.(except maybe at work if could have negetive outcome.. or your a teen living in a HIGHLY religious home) Here for those who dont know how.....

The day has come for Atheist to stand for what they believe STOP cowering down to the brainwashed masses. But please know your facts your religious quotes what ever religion you have to deal with. Like me its Christianity, I know the bible better than 75% of the so called believers I know the 10 commandments I can point out a number of atrocities in the bible by chapter and verse (ex: 2 kings 2 23:24 or Numbers 31) Know what the argument from Ignorance is and its parameters (youll get that one alot) For me dealing with christianity "The Atheist Experience, The Non-prophets (shows,pod cast) and a web page.. IronChariots.org have helped me a GREAT deal. But once I realized where I stood on religion I learned what I could then spoke out.. Even at work I brought it up I was shocked to find others who believe as I do but they are there skeered to say anything..STAND UP FFS ...youll feel better.

Hell I even changed my plates on my car to GODLES.. I love the dirty looks I get Smile
Did I make a good point? thumbs up Smile I cant help it I'm a Kudos whore. P.S. Jesus is a MYTH.
RE: Speek Out !!
Well said but there are places in this country where that kind of openness can get your tires slashed by those god-loving jesus freaks. Those fucking people are not trust-worthy.
Well thats what car insurance is for Smile... Im hoping for a good all around key job on my car it needs a good repaint anyhow Smile and Yes it is the one in the pic. Smile... If your that worried about it VIDIEO SURVAILENCE its not that exspencive anymore basicaly a decent cam and a hard drive you can make your own.....
Did I make a good point? thumbs up Smile I cant help it I'm a Kudos whore. P.S. Jesus is a MYTH.
(May 7, 2010 at 1:02 am)Xyster Wrote: I'm getting so sick of hearing about stories, should I tell people or let my family know...ect... STAND THE FUCK UP FOR YOURSELF!!! There is no reason not to let people know.(except maybe at work if could have negetive outcome.. or your a teen living in a HIGHLY religious home) Here for those who dont know how.....

That is all well and good when you live in a part of the world where you get at least some protection, like the US or Europe. I'd like to see you try that in Iran, or Saudi-Arabia. And even in the US I've read some appalling examples of atheist families being ostracized from the community, harassed even, and the police not lifting a finger to help them.

Quote:Hell I even changed my plates on my car to GODLES.. I love the dirty looks I get

Just like I dislike Christians decorating their cars with crosses and fishes and bumper stickers with WWJD, I have the same dislike when atheists do it. I don't wear my AF shirts to work, it's none of my colleagues' business what I do or don't believe. I don't have atheistic bumper stickers, it is not anyone's business. If it comes up in conversation (and it rarely does where I live) I'll mention that I'm an atheist, and explain my positions if asked, but that is usually as far as I go. I have had great discussions with religious co-workers, one being a Muslim, one being a Christian, but every time I did it was in response to something that they said on a specific topic that came up on the news (like prop 8).

I did tell my parents and sister specifically, but that is for a practical reason because if something happens to me and I die, they have to know what I want to happen with my body and why.

That said, it's your atheism, you do as you see fit. If you like to shock people, I'm sure you are having a blast.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
+1 Everyone should stand up for what they believe in. Fear shouldn't a controlling force in anyone's life (unless it's fear of premature or gruesome death).
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
It's the individuals choice to make the decision for themselves. I do indeed think though, that there are a lot of atheists who are really missing out and doing themselves a disservice by staying in the closet. But I don't like to generalize too much because, for one thing - as Leo said:It depends where you live.

Ultimately it's up to the individual. But any atheist that wants to go around encouraging other atheists to speak out - I'm all for it! On the whole I think it's a good thing and try to do so as much as I can. In fact I think it's a really really good thing at least on the whole - but most of all I respect people's individual choice.

EvF
I don't think it is so much a General 'Speak Out' otherwise you are no better than those god fearing jebus freaks.

Personally i like to tell anyone who questions me that "I'm a Witch" I love the looks I get.

To clarify....by 'witch' I mean the down to earth, logical thinking, person who probably knows a lot more than those he/she interacts with and can put it together with logic but is still open to being corrected if he/she is on the wrong track.

I still hold my personal beliefs (based on my current understanding and the information available to me at the time) but they are MY concepts and I won't go bashing people over the head about them.

Should anyone want to venture into a discussion say about evolution then yeah religion won't get a look in as a viable idea construct.
my 2c
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Well the topic was aimed at the United States and like countries....... If your next door neighbor is a AK47 toteing muslim who gives his kids grenades and talks about all the virgins in the after life.... you may want to be quiet..... I was mainly talking about European and American peeps... There are alot of "Christians" who dont go to church, have no idea what the bible says. Hell some of them barely qualify as deist but they claim to be a Christian just cuz.... Like my uncle, had a talk with him to find he is actually a weak deist...
(May 7, 2010 at 4:39 am)leo-rcc Wrote:
Quote:Hell I even changed my plates on my car to GODLES.. I love the dirty looks I get

Just like I dislike Christians decorating their cars with crosses and fishes and bumper stickers with WWJD, I have the same dislike when atheists do it. I don't wear my AF shirts to work, it's none of my colleagues' business what I do or don't believe. I don't have atheistic bumper stickers, it is not anyone's business. If it comes up in conversation (and it rarely does where I live) I'll mention that I'm an atheist, and explain my positions if asked, but that is usually as far as I go. I have had great discussions with religious co-workers, one being a Muslim, one being a Christian, but every time I did it was in response to something that they said on a specific topic that came up on the news (like prop 8).

Mainly I put myself out there like that for other Atheist who may think they are alone like I once did. But I also like to shock people so it pulls double duty... Cool Shades but I also think we need to be more pro active well in the US anyhow... so we dont have more problems like with the board of education in TX ...fuckin IDIOTS http://www.atheists.org/events/Texas_Rally
I think you should stand up and speak. But also be ready for a possible attack. Have a camera on you and you can use the internet as a weapon. Speak about the intolorance. Speak up about the discrimination bacause no one should have to put up with it.

I would hate it if atheists discriminated against theists. No one should have to tolorate that.

I'm in England and in my position I can easily yell out that I'm an atheist and nothing would happen. Since most people around here are atheists. Big Grin
I feel lucky to be born in a secular society after hearing about the intolorance in other nations.
I even heard about the discrimination of atheists in the US army. That CAN'T happen in the British forces.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
Yes, that's right: We should not hide our believes (or that we do not believe).

Although, I'm not going to read that bible - would be an awful waste of time. I know a few passages but, honestly, there are a lot of better books to read. And one can also argue with religious people on a more abstract level without knowing the bible.

The most important thing is, that we talk about it at all! Discussions use reason and reason can kill any religious believe in a second.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question for Atheists: Is coming out as an atheist as hard as coming out as gay? Blackrook 46 11850 May 2, 2015 at 2:38 am
Last Post: robvalue
  I would like to speak one on one with an informed atheist. Arbitraryusername 16 4505 November 7, 2013 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  To speak or not to speak? Beta Ray Bill 23 5216 September 20, 2013 at 3:15 pm
Last Post: Heir Apparent
  Thinking about getting a Team-speak Server jpell 2 1490 June 12, 2013 at 8:05 pm
Last Post: jpell