Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 1:00 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question for Atheists: Is coming out as an atheist as hard as coming out as gay?
Question for Atheists: Is coming out as an atheist as hard as coming out as gay?
I've been reading the forums for a few days and I've come to appreciate that it is a very difficult thing for an atheist to "come out" to his or her Christian family?

Do you believe this "coming out" process to be as difficult and stressful as coming out as a homosexual?

And if so, how about this:

If you are both an atheist and homosexual, would it be better to "come out" to your parents on both issues at the same time to save on grief and surprise?
RE: Question for Atheists: Is coming out as an atheist as hard as coming out as gay?
Na, nowhere near it, being gay is so much harder, with so many ignorant people in the world.
RE: Question for Atheists: Is coming out as an atheist as hard as coming out as gay?
i think admit as an atheist such easier than to admit sexual digression Big Grin
What do you mean by sexual digression?
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
In my family, coming out as gay would be a little easier due to their lax version of Christianity as far as looking down on homosexuality, but neither would be that hard.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
Sometimes it depends on the family.

Quote:Do you believe this "coming out" process to be as difficult and stressful as coming out as a homosexual?

Coming out in front of a inflexible conservative family is always stressful and worrying independently of the news.

Depends how much importance you give to the opinion of those around you.
(October 1, 2014 at 3:53 am)Bad Wolf Wrote: What do you mean by sexual digression?

That's what happens to every thread when Losty comes in Angel

I've been an atheist for something like 2 years and I've never really "come out" to my parents. I just don't feel it's THAT important for our relationship.
"Every luxury has a deep price. Every indulgence, a cosmic cost. Each fiber of pleasure you experience causes equivalent pain somewhere else. This is the first law of emodynamics [sic]. Joy can be neither created nor destroyed. The balance of happiness is constant.

Fact: Every time you eat a bite of cake, someone gets horsewhipped.

Facter: Every time two people kiss, an orphanage collapses.

Factest: Every time a baby is born, an innocent animal is severely mocked for its physical appearance. Don't be a pleasure hog. Your every smile is a dagger. Happiness is murder.

Vote "yes" on Proposition 1321. Think of some kids. Some kids."
Yeah I never liked the "coming out" phrase when applied to atheism. I suspect that's because I haven't grown up in a fundamentalist christian family.
[Image: thfrog.gif]

It depends on where you live, who you're "coming out" to, and how you phrase it.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?

[Image: LB_Header_Idea_A.jpg]
Why do people make such a big fuss about "coming out"?
Just don't mention it.... if it comes up in conversation, be polite and answer truthfully. If it doesn't come up, who cares?!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Coming Out TheJefe817 8 1135 April 1, 2023 at 4:36 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  (Sensitivity required) Coming out to someone SlowCalculations 12 1750 October 27, 2019 at 6:14 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Question to atheists Alexmahone 34 4644 July 31, 2018 at 2:00 am
Last Post: Aroura
  Alien Question for Atheists Catholic_Lady 99 13758 May 30, 2018 at 5:54 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Our Role(s) as Atheists on an Atheist Forum. ignoramus 28 3786 May 12, 2018 at 9:01 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2197 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Why am I still worrying about coming out as atheist? Der/die AtheistIn 48 5532 February 11, 2018 at 10:37 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  Atheist struggling to answer a question i often propose to myself budsa11 88 20107 September 14, 2017 at 1:17 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Sometimes it's hard for me to shut up about my atheism Der/die AtheistIn 23 5287 August 15, 2017 at 5:18 am
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
  A Question of Dropped Pennies: How Might an Atheist Respond? Rhondazvous 33 9397 July 5, 2017 at 4:30 am
Last Post: ignoramus